So, how would you rate Andre Villas Boas' era?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How would you rate AVB's time at Spurs?

• He should have been given more time

Votes: 83 40.1%
  • He was okay, but not good enough for Tottenham

Votes: 70 33.8%
  • He was a poor choice from the beggining

Votes: 54 26.1%

• Total voters
I used to really like AVB but now that he's brought up at least once a week as if our best manager ever died after 18 months with the club I've really come to resent him.

He was a decent manager. He did some good things with the club without a doubt and ultimately we've seen that he was unlucky with our terrible incoming signings after Bale. However, he failed to get top four with Bale (Rodgers got second with a comprable player in Suarez), he lost the plot in the last month at THFC, he also voluntarily left the club if his own account is to be believed, the signings he wanted weren't exactly great either, he ran VDV out of the club in favor of Sigurdsson, it seems reasonable to suggest he lost the dressing room at the end based on various accounts and how warmly the players originally welcomed Sherwood before he turned into King Cunt and his football was boring as hell.

AVB was an okay manager and I found him to be a very likable human being but the pining for him you see on social media and here is absolutely bizarre IMO.

[formation="4231, Lloris, Walker, Dawson, Vertonghen, Rose, Moutinho, Sandro, Lennon, Bale, Dempsey, Adebayor"][/formation]

[formation="4231, Lloris, Walker, Dawson, Vertonghen, Rose, Dembele, Sandro, Lennon, Bale, Willian, Adebayor"][/formation]

God if only
:avbshock:

He won nowt, and didn't get CL, so he failed, IMHO. But ATM, he's better than Poch, this may change, or not :thumbup:.

For me, his treatment of Lloris was all wrong, and may well have cost us CL. I never felt good about him after he benched Hugo.

I used to really like AVB but now that he's brought up at least once a week as if our best manager ever died after 18 months with the club I've really come to resent him.

He was a decent manager. He did some good things with the club without a doubt and ultimately we've seen that he was unlucky with our terrible incoming signings after Bale. However, he failed to get top four with Bale (Rodgers got second with a comprable player in Suarez), he lost the plot in the last month at THFC, he also voluntarily left the club if his own account is to be believed, the signings he wanted weren't exactly great either, he ran VDV out of the club in favor of Sigurdsson, it seems reasonable to suggest he lost the dressing room at the end based on various accounts and how warmly the players originally welcomed Sherwood before he turned into King Cunt and his football was boring as hell.

AVB was an okay manager and I found him to be a very likable human being but the pining for him you see on social media and here is absolutely bizarre IMO.

Superb post.

Its been described as "Levys biggest mistake"......well, now we know for a fact the cunt jumped ship.

So will those who think that Levy set us back years and destroyed our stability by sacking AVB, now take that resentment out on The Ginger Messiah?

Dont hold your breath..

Last edited:
Being aware of them, and negotiating with them to be able to sign the player are two very different things though. You have Porto and the third-party arguing over cuts, along with the overall price of the deal and how the deal is paid for being discussed. I can imagine it takes a fair bit of work unless you're willing to significantly over-pay the initial value to short-cut discussions of who gets how much.
He was in charge at Porto when they originally signed Moutinho so would have been well aware of any potential issues.

He didn't run VDV out. No way. In that quote he even says "I lost VDV" like it was against his wishes. And buy all accounts VDV had to move to save his marriage, which he ended up fucking up when he knocked her about anyway.

He won nowt, and didn't get CL, so he failed, IMHO. But ATM, he's better than Poch, this may change, or not :thumbup:.

For me, his treatment of Lloris was all wrong, and may well have cost us CL. I never felt good about him after he benched Hugo.

How is he better than Poch? I dont think we can say that until 18 months down the line.

For me, Poch plays better football, with a weaker team....(thats team not an individual player for player rating before people start flying off on one)...and has the ability to vary his tactics, formations and gameplan.

Despite some of the shit we have seen this season, I already prefer Poch, and see some kind of plan and future thinking from him.

He didn't run VDV out. No way. In that quote he even says "I lost VDV" like it was against his wishes. And buy all accounts VDV had to move to save his marriage, which he ended up fucking up when he knocked her about anyway.

"If I let Rafa go it’s because I’ve allowed him to go. It’s not because someone is forcing me to.”
AVB

"With Villas Boas I had a false start. While with HSV I just felt as though she really needed me... It was a club in need. And I wanted to help.
During our first conversation (with AVB) he hinted that I had to fight for my place. That in itself is not a problem. I have enough confidence in my abilities. But until that time I was 'the guy' at The Spurs. The contrast with the way Villas-Boas saw it, it was just too big. The club had just bought Sigurdsson who had an advantage, the coach said himself.
In the same period HSV knocked at the door again. Villas Boas came around shortly afterwards and changed his opinion of me, apparently it was not so smooth with Sigurdsson, but then I had already made my choice. About the club I have no evil words, the atmosphere was great, we had a good team, there is a club being built."

VDV

AVB is taking fucking liberties by trying to claim VDV left against his wishes and it was down to Levy

"If I let Rafa go it’s because I’ve allowed him to go. It’s not because someone is forcing me to.”
AVB

"With Villas Boas I had a false start. While with HSV I just felt as though she really needed me... It was a club in need. And I wanted to help.
During our first conversation (with AVB) he hinted that I had to fight for my place. That in itself is not a problem. I have enough confidence in my abilities. But until that time I was 'the guy' at The Spurs. The contrast with the way Villas-Boas saw it, it was just too big. The club had just bought Sigurdsson who had an advantage, the coach said himself.
In the same period HSV knocked at the door again. Villas Boas came around shortly afterwards and changed his opinion of me, apparently it was not so smooth with Sigurdsson, but then I had already made my choice. About the club I have no evil words, the atmosphere was great, we had a good team, there is a club being built."

VDV

AVB is taking fucking liberties by trying to claim VDV left against his wishes and it was down to Levy
If he's not willing to fight for his place then good riddance. I loved the guy but come on, he's a bit of a journeyman. Compare him with Dawson, AVB actually said he could go to QPR and Dawson refused. No one is even mentioning Levy. AVB's quote was "I lost VDV". And Sigurdsson I'm sure was signed before we even got AVB in, but i may be wrong on that. Either way, i think the quote "but then I had already made my choice" Sums it up perfectly. AVB didn't chase him out, VDV's ego got in the way and he jumped ship.

How is he better than Poch? I dont think we can say that until 18 months down the line.

For me, Poch plays better football, with a weaker team....(thats team not an individual player for player rating before people start flying off on one)...and has the ability to vary his tactics, formations and gameplan.

Despite some of the shit we have seen this season, I already prefer Poch, and see some kind of plan and future thinking from him.

Quite like Poch so far, he has used some youth players, enjoyed some of the football such as the Everton game and you feel that you can buy into his vision, also like the fact he puts such a high priority on fitness. Overall ok so far.

If he's not willing to fight for his place then good riddance. I loved the guy but come on, he's a bit of a journeyman. Compare him with Dawson, AVB actually said he could go to QPR and Dawson refused. No one is even mentioning Levy. AVB's quote was "I lost VDV". And Sigurdsson I'm sure was signed before we even got AVB in, but i may be wrong on that. Either way, i think the quote "but then I had already made my choice" Sums it up perfectly. AVB didn't chase him out, VDV's ego got in the way and he jumped ship.

VDV was a Spurs legend in the short time he was here and would have stayed had our cock of a manager not thought Siggy was a step up.....you've just taken your defence of AVB to an all time low in my opinion

He's better than Poch so far, because AFAIK, he has a better win % than him, and both have won nowt.

IF we win tonight, I'll start to rethink that position, if we lose then I very much doubt I'll ever rate him higher than AVB, because I think that will be the start of a slippery slope for Poch, leading him to a trophyless exit with a worse win % than AVB.

He's better than Poch so far, because AFAIK, he has a better win % than him, and both have won nowt.

IF we win tonight, I'll start to rethink that position, if we lose then I very much doubt I'll ever rate him higher than AVB, because I think that will be the start of a slippery slope for Poch, leading him to a trophyless exit with a worse win % than AVB.

Errrm.....Poch has been manager, in competative games, for 16 weeks

:llorishuh:

Seems like it had more to do with AVB's ego to me. Ever heard of first impressions? AVB made a bad one on VDV and he left. He certainly has to shoulder a decent amount of that blame.

Superb post.

Its been described as "Levys biggest mistake"......well, now we know for a fact the cunt jumped ship.

So will those who think that Levy set us back years and destroyed our stability by sacking AVB, now take that resentment out on The Ginger Messiah?

Dont hold your breath..
Nah, they'll stick to the same "sacks all the managers too soon/never gives them enough time or support" narrative they always do. It's become assumed to be true, so regardless of how false it is, it's here to stay.

My issue with AVB and why I did like his managerial style was simply boredom. We went from being the most exiciting team in the league IMO and the for that matter the opinion of quite a lot non-Spurs fans under Redknapp (yes I know he had faults) to perhaps the most boring team in the league all in a short space of time.

I remember being at EL games and being so numbed by the sideways passing I would look up at the sky or go crowd watch. For me Football and Spurs are supposed to be entertaining, to put up with football as unexciting as that being provided by AVB I would have wanted a title or a champions league, at least an F.A cup, it really was that dull.

Errm, I know hence 'He's better than Poch SO FAR' (capitals added this time from my quote)
So far I'm not a fan of Poch, tonight I think is going to be a watershed moment for me and Mr Poch.

Fair enough.....odd that a watershed and defining moment can come after 16wks in charge though in my opinion.

Hasnt even had his first transfer window after seeing his team play yet.

Back
Top Bottom