Nabil Bentaleb

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If he'd got maximum points from the start of his tenure he'd be permanent manager........Sherwood could never afford the luxury of 'building for the future'.

The truth is Bentaleb should never have played this season, but making a point of playing him every single minute and then just never again, not even as a sub seems very odd to me.

Your right. When Bentalab started, I thought he was OK. He looked like he may be a star for the future. Unfortunately he then became the first name on the team sheet, and it was proven that he wasn't ready at all. Perhaps Timmy ruined his career.

To be honest, Carroll could walk into the team based on last season....lets hope Sandro, Paulinho and Capoue agree with Levys next choice and decide that they want to play well.

At least if we get a new manager in early, and they dont like him, they have time to leave.

Some things Bentaleb had, which the so called "senior" players lacked last season, was professionalism, effort and heart.
He and Carroll could teach the mutineers a thing or two.

I forgot about Carroll. In my opinion Carroll is twice the player Bentalab is, but we chose to put him out on loan

Ive got confidence in Bentaleb, Im not convinced on Carroll at all.

He obviously has quality, but he is so small and his play just seems so passive, Im not sure he will ever step it up

Ive got confidence in Bentaleb, Im not convinced on Carroll at all.

He obviously has quality, but he is so small and his play just seems so passive, Im not sure he will ever step it up
Sort of agree with that on Carroll, Bentaleb could also do with bulking up a bit.

Let's not forget these are young men, the body still develops into your twenties. It's not possible for everyone to simply 'bulk up', they're professional football players and a large part of their job will be spent in the gym and training.

It's important that the technical side of the game is focused on at their age, physique can come later.

I forgot about Carroll. In my opinion Carroll is twice the player Bentalab is, but we chose to put him out on loan

I think they offer something different. Carroll is more a Modric type in my opinion...Bentaleb is more like Carrick.

Both young, both have lots to learn, but have bags of potential.......and Im sure both will be missed when we see them doing well at other clubs in a few years.

Your right. When Bentalab started, I thought he was OK. He looked like he may be a star for the future. Unfortunately he then became the first name on the team sheet, and it was proven that he wasn't ready at all. Perhaps Timmy ruined his career.
Playing him as a DM was the problem

Let's not forget these are young men, the body still develops into your twenties. It's not possible for everyone to simply 'bulk up', they're professional football players and a large part of their job will be spent in the gym and training.

It's important that the technical side of the game is focused on at their age, physique can come later.

That not really what I meant. He is tiny, and yes bulking up could help him a lot, but for me he just hhides too much, is too passive.

Even as a little guy he can still be aggressive, positive, and put himself into challenges etc - he just doesnt.

That not really what I meant. He is tiny, and yes bulking up could help him a lot, but for me he just hhides too much, is too passive.

Even as a little guy he can still be aggressive, positive, and put himself into challenges etc - he just doesnt.

Oh I agree, I don't think Carroll has had enough experience at the top to really expect him to show traits of seasoned players, I haven't watched him in the Championship but it sounds like it was a mixed season for him. I think another season on loan at somewhere in the Premiership (like Livermore) would be his best bet, if one of the promoted sides (perhaps QPR again?) fancy taking him on.

I was commenting on the often used notion that a player can simply 'bulk up' when they've only just really been exposed a degree of first team football, everyone is different and their bodies can take longer to adjust than others. It sort of ties in with the idea that English youth development is physical first, technical second, whereas in countries which develop much better players do not use a players physicality as a necessity.

Absolutely, some players simply wont bulk up. Thats not to say they cannot get stronger though. Look at Lennon, tiny lad but can still get stuck in.

Carroll needs another loan, he isnt right for first team football with us yet, and to be honest I think it will be make or break for him.

Absolutely, some players simply wont bulk up. Thats not to say they cannot get stronger though. Look at Lennon, tiny lad but can still get stuck in.

Carroll needs another loan, he isnt right for first team football with us yet, and to be honest I think it will be make or break for him.
i do worry about Carroll looks like he has the potential to be a good little player but i have this niggling feeling he just wont make it in the top leagues.

seen some of his games and more often than not he seems to be pushed out of the game physically. Not sure if just bulking up will help. Some players of his stature seem to be able to over come this in other ways be it positionally or releasing the ball quickly and pace

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014...arroll-i-wish-he-was-missing-from-our-midfie/

Carroll is another tiny dancer. Looks smooth and pretty on the ball but does fuck all and makes you soft and porous in the middle of the park.

I like one of the QPR fans comments...It was something like "He's the type of player where if you claim he's no good, people tell you that you don't understand football"

That was a classic. He's like Peter Pan...You have to believe.

Last edited:
That's exactly who he plays like. Passes it backwards and sideways. Dreadful player. I just hope the new manager gets rid
You don't know what you are talking about...
Bentaleb has looked the best of our academy products for years, 5 years younger than Livermore, twice the product in my opinion.
The kid is 19!
He will go to World Cup, and come back a better player again.
Expect him to be first team next season if Dembele doesn't sort it out.

Look at Lennon, tiny lad but can still get stuck in.

Myth. He just harries off the ball and does next to nothing. He does not even track them into less dangerous areas. He's just not as terrible as he used to be.

Arry once said that he knows players are using miles run and stats to try and fudge their own numbers. He said he knows when players are faking it or playing to the crowd vs competitive edge. When it comes down to it, Lennon has played most managers/fans like a violin and Harry all but said he fakes injury in the past to get time off. It's little things like that which Tim will learn over time. It was refreshing to hear from old skool arry using statisticians etc but still keeping an eye on things.

Tim made him fucking captain.

That is why I like Bentaleb. He plays angry like Walker. It's not a game to him, it's a war. But he needs to be made an AM otherwise he will be underrated/criminally written off like Dembele. cos he like dont farkin score that much innit.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014...arroll-i-wish-he-was-missing-from-our-midfie/

Carroll is another tiny dancer. Looks smooth and pretty on the ball but does fuck all and makes you soft and porous in the middle of the park.

I like one of the QPR fans comments...It was something like "He's the type of player where if you claim he's no good, people tell you that you don't understand football"

That was a classic. He's like Peter Pan...You have to believe.

Funny that you are quick to slate people as having a problem with the foreign players, when its clear you have a massive one with anyone English at the club..

Myth. He just harries off the ball and does next to nothing. He does not even track them into less dangerous areas. He's just not as terrible as he used to be.

Arry once said that he knows players are using miles run and stats to try and fudge their own numbers. He said he knows when players are faking it or playing to the crowd vs competitive edge. When it comes down to it, Lennon has played most managers/fans like a violin and Harry all but said he fakes injury in the past to get time off. It's little things like that which Tim will learn over time. It was refreshing to hear from old skool arry using statisticians etc but still keeping an eye on things.

Tim made him fucking captain.

None of that is really what Im talking about. All Im saying is that Lennon is a wee lad and yet copes physically. People get into contests with him and win or lose he has had a go. You dont get to be a "small" winger in this league without being physically and mentally strong because people will go through you.

None of that is to suggest Lennon is a Palacios like psycho, just that he is "strong". Not something I see in Carroll (yet).

That is why I like Bentaleb. He plays angry like Walker. It's not a game to him, it's a war. But he needs to be made an AM otherwise he will be underrated/criminally written off like Dembele. cos he like dont farkin score that much innit.
I agree, he has an agression about him I like, and physically doesnt seem lacking at all.
Mentally I think he needs to get up to speed a bit, which is entirely normal for an academy product.
I also think a manager actually coaching the team into a style of play could help him here massively.

He just fades in and out sometimes for long periods during a game, is it attention deficit, lack of motivation or is he not a 90min player?

Or is it the way the team are playing around him? Could just be he fact he is 19 and still adapting I guess.

I really think he would thrive in a more systemic way of playing, if he knew where people were supposed to be (and indeed himself) he has the sort of game that would suddenly look unreal

Funny that you are quick to slate people as having a problem with the foreign players, when its clear you have a massive one with anyone English at the club..

Strange how I just praised walker then.

Lol at you Cross thread tears of butt hurt. You are at the say anything to get one up on ole gibbsy level right now.

And bentaleb could have played for England. Oops.

I'm not quick to slate Carroll, I claimed Carroll was classic soft spurs years ago. I'm not basing my opinion of the terrible reviews he is currently having.

Nailed on Tottenham way plAyer. Losing with style.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom