Nabil Bentaleb

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

has nabil banged tim's daughter or something? surprised he hasn't featured in any of our games recently

Nah, Benty just turned out good.

Being Sherwood is no fun when the trolling backfires

(joke, for the pro-tim no-sense-of-humour lot)

been our most consistent midfielder this year bar Eriksen yet he's been dropped for no reason for a left winger or whatever Chadli is to play instead. Don't understand it and never will.

Agree - odd that he's gone from playing every minute of every game to now not even coming off the bench

I think he's probably giving him some breathing space so he isn't run into the ground like Sterling was last year for instance. That Paulinho has been useless is just a shame though which further shows that Bentaleb and/or Dembele were rightfully playing earlier on.

Agree - odd that he's gone from playing every minute of every game to now not even coming off the bench
Surely it's just to do with the pressure on Tim to get the maximum points possible from the last games.

Tim has already established Nabil as a possible star for the future, and Bentaleb has no reason to be unhappy with the way he broke into the first team this season, but if the team drop points in these last matches then the supporters will be pointing fingers, and some people would start speculating that we weren't putting out a full strength side.

Basically, I think that Tim already got what he wanted from Nabil this season. In the run-in though, if we drop points while Bentaleb is playing people could blame Tim, but if we drop points while Paulinho and Chadli, et al are playing, it's like Tim can say "hey, this is the hand you dealt me."

Surely it's just to do with the pressure on Tim to get the maximum points possible from the last games.

Tim has already established Nabil as a possible star for the future, and Bentaleb has no reason to be unhappy with the way he broke into the first team this season, but if the team drop points in these last matches then the supporters will be pointing fingers, and some people would start speculating that we weren't putting out a full strength side.

Basically, I think that Tim already got what he wanted from Nabil this season. In the run-in though, if we drop points while Bentaleb is playing people could blame Tim, but if we drop points while Paulinho and Chadli, et al are playing, it's like Tim can say "hey, this is the hand you dealt me."

If he'd got maximum points from the start of his tenure he'd be permanent manager........Sherwood could never afford the luxury of 'building for the future'.

The truth is Bentaleb should never have played this season, but making a point of playing him every single minute and then just never again, not even as a sub seems very odd to me.

If he'd got maximum points from the start of his tenure he'd be permanent manager........Sherwood could never afford the luxury of 'building for the future'.

The truth is Bentaleb should never have played this season, but making a point of playing him every single minute and then just never again, not even as a sub seems very odd to me.
I am inclined to agree with you but for the sake of variety it is possible that Tim played him ahead of the new signings in order to get a reaction out of our lack luster performers. Let's face it they (Paulinho, Capoue, Sandro, Dembele) were not setting the world alight when he broke into the team. The fact Benteleb hasn't played recently and the others have could mean that the others have up'd their game and fought for their place back.

Ether way for the long term benefit of the team we now have a group of central midfielders that know they will not get picked if they are not training or putting in 100% regardless of their price tag or CV. Not to mention the buzz that our players on loan and in the development squad would be feeling seeing him break though.

Serious, genuine, no bullshit competition.
An experienced manager will reap the rewards I am sure.

Last edited:

Nice theory.... What about Kane playing instead of Soldado?

Is it only TS who feels betrayed that Nabil chose to represent in international football the nation of his mother and not his father? Even though the latter gave him his PL début?

id have to disagree, tommy's playing well for QPR and starting every game..why ruin that run of good form to play him for a few select games, especially since our midfield is so competitive at the moment..

To be honest, Carroll could walk into the team based on last season....lets hope Sandro, Paulinho and Capoue agree with Levys next choice and decide that they want to play well.

At least if we get a new manager in early, and they dont like him, they have time to leave.

Some things Bentaleb had, which the so called "senior" players lacked last season, was professionalism, effort and heart.
He and Carroll could teach the mutineers a thing or two.

Harry Kane was only getting a start due to Soldado being injured. He then produced 3 goals in as many games. That earns him more starts even as Soldado gets back to being fit.

Id start Kane even if Soldado is fit (if we are going with two strikers in some games)

Soldado should have to take his place back from him now, as far as Im concerned

been our most consistent midfielder this year bar Eriksen yet he's been dropped for no reason for a left winger or whatever Chadli is to play instead. Don't understand it and never will.

Big time, Siggy does nothing and Chadli looks lost in the centre, neither are proper centre mids, Bentaleb is and he gave us a good balance in the middle, not as defensive as Sandro but not as wild as Paulinho. He has a good future.

Is it only TS who feels betrayed that Nabil chose to represent in international football the nation of his mother and not his father? Even though the latter gave him his PL début?
I dont blame him. Youve got to sit down at some point and think 'will I ever be a regular In Englands midfield?' If no just get what you can or you'll end up like Ryan Shawcross. Obviously you must feel some sense of notational pride and not be Andy Townsend. Nobody should ever be Andy Townsend.

Back
Top Bottom