Nabil Bentaleb

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

international break random bump.

Does anybody remember what happened to this guy and why he left Spurs? I have it in my head that either him or his agent weren't fans of Spurs but I'm probably wrong. Can anybody recall where it went wrong?

Does anybody remember what happened to this guy and why he left Spurs? I have it in my head that either him or his agent weren't fans of Spurs but I'm probably wrong. Can anybody recall where it went wrong?
He just didn't make it past Poch's inaugural season. Poch came in and dispensed with a huge part of our preexisting squad. Nabil and Mason were his preferred midfield pair in that season; and you'll recall that Mousa Dembele wasn't entirely in Poch's favor at that point and didn't get much playing time. Over the summer, the Nabil-Mason midfield partnership went from Poch's preferred midfield to backups dueling it out behind the developing Dembele-Dele-Dier midfield.

Nabil had finally broken though to regular playing time in the past 1.5 seasons. I just don't think it sat well for him to go back to becoming a substitute player, and he wanted to start if not here then elsewhere.

Pretty sure it was just attitude.

He had a really promising season under Pochettino in the 14/15 season but then looked like he couldn't be bothered in pre-season. Was woeful at the start of the 15/16 season and then got injured. Came back in a Europa League game and then when we were a few goals up, started doing random flicks and tricks for the sake of it.

Think he then went on international duty and got injured and that was pretty much the end for him.

He’s had a fairly decent career. Still only 28. That’s weird given how long ago he rocked up @ Southampton under tactics Tim

Is the usual story of a player having ambitions greater than their talent and being managed by relatives who want to extract the maximum coinage from his career rather than making decisions that were best for his development.

Agent/entourage thought one very very good first season made him a superstar deserving of a huge new contract. Problem is he got injured at same time and when Bentalab was fit he'd have had to fight for his place. Stalemate so went to Schalke, who I think bought him for £16m.

What his agent should have been saying was 'great first season, now the hard works starts to keep going but I've got a bigger contract (wages) now and agreement to review it if you continue to show what you can do'.

Bentaleb in his first season had done well and no reason not to believe he could kick on again (only about 20 at that time) and have same sort of career as this season we hope Sarr can move to.

But entourage greed of 'I want more now' screwed him at Spurs and didn't help him at Schalke a couple of years later which meant he move from there. Certainly looked the shell of the player Spurs had when he joined Newcastle on loam'. Total waste of his talent.

Pretty sure it was just attitude.

He had a really promising season under Pochettino in the 14/15 season but then looked like he couldn't be bothered in pre-season. Was woeful at the start of the 15/16 season and then got injured. Came back in a Europa League game and then when we were a few goals up, started doing random flicks and tricks for the sake of it.

Think he then went on international duty and got injured and that was pretty much the end for him.

I remember when we were in contract talks with him for ages and he wanted more money that what the club thought he was worth, got it in the end but I think that pissed the club and Poch off massively.

Back
Top Bottom