Nabil Bentaleb

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

WastefulRashCanadagoose.gif

Absolutely immense today. Could have easily had a goal had Ospina not pulled a Lloris.

Sherwood's son LOL, don't think I'll ever forgive those who abused him last year as a 19 year old just because they didn't like the manager. One of the most shameful sagas I can ever remember following the club for 14 years. Gives me endless joy to see Nabil mugging them off week after week. 20 years old, what a player.

Really impressed with him today at 19 he is amazing, best player on the pitch by some margin maybe eriksen not far behind, obviously Sandro and paulinho will come as their DM AM combo offers better balance than the bentaleb dembele combo. Very few kids are mom at 19 in a few years he could be mint, so much competition in the middle of the park. Would love a 4-5-1 set up with Ade up top we don't have the strikers for a 4-4-2 setup.

All the "16 and pregnant"-shows on TV says otherwise.

He was absolutely spectacular today. We're so much better when Bentaleb is on the pitch. Ryan Mason is so much better when Bentaleb is on the pitch. Loved his celebration of both goals. But especially his celebration of the winner he set up with that beautiful assist. With all of the mayhem in the crowd and with his teammates, he calmly headed straight to Poch to celebrate with him. You could feel the emotion pulsing through Bentaleb at that moment. Such a special season with all of these young home grown players taking over the squad. It means so much more to these guys. And it means so much more to us.

Hey all,

Long time reader, first time poster. Huge Algeria fan, but don't support Spurs as my club team. As you probably know, Bentaleb's decided to represent Algeria in the international arena and that's prompted a lot of excitement.

He's been called up for a friendly in early March and is expected to make the squad for Brazil. Algeria usually play a 4-3-2-1 more than a 4-2-3-1, so he probably won't be expected to play in a double pivot. I think that's good. He's intelligent and makes a good number of interceptions, but I think he has shown that he's susceptible to losing midfield runners, and maybe lacks a little bit of aggression in the tackle.

If he is to start right away (big if), it'll be alongside Inter Milan's Saphir Taïder and I can see the two of them forming a superb relationship over the next decade. Both can go for miles and play that box-to-box role nicely, contributing in defence and in attack. The problem for us, at the moment, is finding someone to play behind them. Spurs have Piggy Capoue and Beastman Sandro, we have decent options but no one on the level of the aforementioned two.

Think Spurs fans have been slightly harsh on Bentaleb, but I also understand the frustration. At times he hasn't shown that he's indispensable and so he bears the brunt of Sherwood's team selection. But if you assess his performances and factor in that he's played less than 10 PL matches, is 19 years old, has been played out of position... his performances have been quite encouraging.

Lots have said that his best match in a Spurs shirt was the last one against Newcastle, but I actually think it was against Palace at home. If you dissect each of them, I think you'll see how to get the best out of the lad. Against Palace he had a lot of time on the ball and we saw him be a little more ambitious. Bravery will come with age/experience, but if given time, I think Bentaleb will show how talented he is. He is so much more than a 'safe option' midfielder. Then against Newcastle he was relieved of some defensive duties and was awarded more freedom. If he's accommodated in those two fashions, I think he'll excel.

Side note: So good to see a player that's genuinely Algerian. Born in France, but understands/talks Arabic, didn't hesitate to opt for us. A humble kid. Really, he's going to be adored in Algeria, we'll take good care of him. A contrast to how Benzema/Nasri have been dealt with in France (though they don't exactly help themselves)

Some people are writing him off which is an absolute joke. Sure he didn't start well although that is exaggerated by a lot of people. One poor gome away to United, a 15 minute sub appearance in the Stoke debacle and a very good 90 minutes against Everton was the only game time he got before his injury.

He'll have a fight on his hands to get back in the team, but he's a superb player and a great professional. I thought he was a our best midfielder last season personally aswell.

Can't wait to have him back in the mix.

It's a tough one for me. There's no doubt Capoue / Holtby are better players than Bentaleb at the moment, but at the same time, being so involved in the first team at 19 is going to be fantastic for his development.

I'm not against his starting games like today, but there's no way he should have started over Capoue at The Emirates for example.

I would sell Nabil rather than yield. He is under contract until 2018 and has been demanding a new deal since September.

He'll be very good, and I'd love him to stay, but publicly whining over pay is a very stupid move which won't create a good relationship with anyone. If a Champion's League club wants him, they can come and get him.

JESUS CHRIST

Man of the match today. Put in a flawless performance and has been our best midfielder at the AFCON (saying a lot when you see names). Can't believe he just turned 20, already has 13 caps and 2 goals. If he stays at this level, he'll be one of our all-time greats, but I think he'll get even better.

Back
Top Bottom