Nabil Bentaleb

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Reminds me of a few years back - I wonder how Massimo "Levy better had put a buy back clause in" Luongo getting on these days? Keeping Messi out of the side in Barca?

:pocheyes:
Weel, I don't think he's the australian Messi, but he was an academy product and would be more useful than Carroll or Onomah, for example.

Weel, I don't think he's the australian Messi, but he was an academy product and would be more useful than Carroll or Onomah, for example.

He appears to be out of his depth in the Championship, so I'm not sure how you think that.

Carroll was a good little player for Swansea, and Onomah played well today, so I'm not sure what the criticism is about.

Even the whinges of the offside; the lad's only 19, and has played hardly any PL football - we should be applauding how he was battling to keep the ball, and even getting in a position to be offside at this stage in his development.

He appears to be out of his depth in the Championship, so I'm not sure how you think that.

Carroll was a good little player for Swansea, and Onomah played well today, so I'm not sure what the criticism is about.

Even the whinges of the offside; the lad's only 19, and has played hardly any PL football - we should be applauding how he was battling to keep the ball, and even getting in a position to be offside at this stage in his development.
I'm no criticising Onomah, but I think he's very raw now, he wasn't bad, but never was really good too, probably with more game time he would be doing very well if he has the potential. But I get your point, just saying if Luongo would still be on Tottenham he probably would be above the or at least the same level as those too, despite Onomah age and potential.

I'm no criticising Onomah, but I think he's very raw now, he wasn't bad, but never was really good too, probably with more game time he would be doing very well if he has the potential. But I get your point, just saying if Luongo would still be on Tottenham he probably would be above the or at least the same level as those too, despite Onomah age and potential.

Maybe. We did apparently try and play a young Becks in goal, and we offloaded Crouchie to QPR for buttons as a teen, so we have been known to let a few gems go.

I don't think Swindon have had any of them though. KPB and Falque looked very briefly like they could have been ones that got away, but the long term has shown a slightly different picture. Ceballos is a joke.

Problem with some of these lads is that they thought they were better than they were, and deserved more than they did, so off they went.

Something went badly wrong anyway.
Bentaleb looked the absolute dogs bollocks on his debut for Schalke.
He had a very good 15 minutes. Probably their best player actually. He'll be starting from now on and it'll be interesting to see how he does. We've all seen footballers have good debuts though.

Gascoigne8

Would be nice to have more detail as to why you're rating Bentaleb over Siggy, but here's some stats:

Bentaleb - 66 games, 1 goal.
Sigurdsson - 85 games, 13 goals.

Never showed much for us" though?

Siggy kept us looking decent throughout the dross of AVB
Comparing a DM/CM with an ACM based upon the amount of goals scored is completely pointless. Secondly, not everything was bad under AVB, we were quite allright in his first season, Siggy didn't really shine then either though. Nor did he under Sherwood. It's all nice saying you wanted to see him under Poch, but before him Tim was here and he actually got some players to show some good stuff, Siggy wasn't really one of them though.

Whatever happened between Poch and Nabil last year, the year before that he had a good season. Siggy's two years at Spurs on the other hand have been mediocre at best.

Last edited:
Comparing a DM/CM with an ACM based upon the amount of goals scored is completely pointless. Secondly, not everything was bad under AVB, we were quite allright in his first season, Siggy didn't really shine then either though. Nor did he under Sherwood. It's all nice saying you wanted to see him under Poch, but before him Tim was here and he actually got some players to show some good stuff, Siggy wasn't really one of them though.

Whatever happened between Poch and Nabil last year, the year before that he had a good season. Siggy's two years at Spurs on the other hand have been mediocre at best.

You're the one who compared them - don't blame me when it doesn't work out for you!

Christ sake yes some on occasion have left and done well, most haven't but newsflash everyone is different!!!

Plus he is on loan, we still have him, he just needs some fresh scenery and we can take a view on him again in the summer

End thread.... For now!

You're the one who compared them - don't blame me when it doesn't work out for you!
Using your reasoning you could also say Siggy has done better than Lloris because he scored more goals, lol. Stats can be useful if they are used properly. If not, they just show the desperation of the user to serve his personal agenda. It's completely pointless to rate an attacking midfielder in Siggy above a central/defensive midfielder in Bentaleb because of goals scored. Of course Siggy scored more goals than Bentaleb: he is supposed to, he's playing closer to the goal.

Using your reasoning you could also say Siggy has done better than Lloris because he scored more goals, lol. Stats can be useful if they are used properly. If not, they just show the desperation of the user to serve his personal agenda. It's completely pointless to rate an attacking midfielder in Siggy above a central/defensive midfielder in Bentaleb because of goals scored. Of course Siggy scored more goals than Bentaleb: he is supposed to, he's playing closer to the goal.

It's your reasoning....

Siggy never really showed much for us during his time here. Bentaleb actually did really well for Sherwood and Poch in his first year.

What did Bentaleb contribute? How many games did he win for us with a key moment?

Put simply: You disagree that Siggy contributed more for us than Bentaleb. What? At least provide evidence rather than clicking 'disagree' with no substance or reasoning.

It's your reasoning....

What did Bentaleb contribute? How many games did he win for us with a key moment?
Doing well and key moments don't necessarily have to go hand in hand. You can contribute and show stuff without it having to be a key moment in the game. You seem too focussed on these goals and key moments, but they are far more relevant to attacking players than they are to more defensive ones, hence why it's rather pointless to compare the goals scored of two such opposing players.

How about simply controlling a game like Dembele has done so often for us, without necessarily having these key moments you value? Does that mean he didn't play well? Sandro and Parker where useful players for us, did they have many key moments? On the other hand Dempsey had quite a few key moments, do you really think he did well?

I would rather look at the complete picture of how both Siggy and Bentaleb performed/played while they were here, instead of just looking at one statistic and ignore the rest. If you honestly think Siggy outperformed Bentaleb than that's fine with me, but atm your reasoning is based upon one statistic which is always going to be in favour of the more attacking player in Siggy... no wonder because he plays further forward than Bentaleb does. At the same time there will be plenty of things where Bentaleb outperformed Siggy statistically. I could take one of them and use that as 'evidence' Bentaleb did better, but that's cherry picking at its best. It's about the complete picture, not just one selective stat, made even more redundant due to the fact that these players don't even play in the same position.

Either way I don't really care, stuff like this about who is better will always be somewhat subjective, even with stats, but when you do use them, look at the circumstances as well. In other words, it's all nice and well to value the goal-scoring stat so much, but in the context of comparing players that don't even play in the same position, how valuable is such a stat actually? A striker is very likely to have more goals than a defender, does this mean he performed better? Not necessarily.

Last edited:
This is really important for people to understand. If Pochettino doesn't want a player in the dressing room it more than likely has to do with personality above all else. If Bentaleb was viewed as someone that would disrupt the team's interpersonal cohesion, he needed to go. We got reports a few years back that Bentaleb used to cry when he lost 5 a side matches in training. At the time we all lauded his drive to win, but when you actually think about it, that's really really immature. Who knows what negative places his mind would go when it came to actual games that matter? Pochettino doesn't want him, and there's no use crying over split milk.

Christ sake yes some on occasion have left and done well, most haven't but newsflash everyone is different!!!

Plus he is on loan, we still have him, he just needs some fresh scenery and we can take a view on him again in the summer

End thread.... For now!
Loan with an option to buy at an agreed price, so if they want him there is not much we can say about it really.

I enjoyed Josh's little cameo. Yes, he ran into a few blind alleys, but he had the confidence to try some stuff as well.

I enjoyed Josh's little cameo. Yes, he ran into a few blind alleys, but he had the confidence to try some stuff as well.

I quite liked how he kept possession when we was surrounded by pool players and was practically on the floor.
He reminds me a little of the "new" Lamela, definitely a WIP version though, which is a very good sign indeed.

Back
Top Bottom