Louis Van Gaal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Van Gaal would be feckin' awesome!

(but I still like what Timmy's done with us so far... I just think he'll get to the point where he "can't take us any further" a bit sooner than someone like Van Gaal would, thass all!)
I disagree. If Tim comes 4th, I'd rather stick by him than gamble on yet another Euro-man. His disciplinarian style could completely unsettle our squad, and I'm not sure his style is what we need. With Tim having exceptional knowledge of our youth system, he could very well be the right man, getting the right blend of youth and experience.

If anyone wants a mainstream comparison for the type of football that LVG would employ, look no further than Barcelona.

Van Gaal is one of the top three most influential Dutch managers of all time along with the two architects of Total Football, Rinus Michels and Johan Cruyff. All three of these men managed at both Ajax and Barcelona. People laud Barcelona nowadays for their commitment to the 4-3-3 throughout the whole club from academy to first team. Well where did they get that idea? It is from Ajax and these three managers.

With total football, the defining aspects are dominating possession, high pressing defensively, high line, positional interchange, and general creative attacking football. This is what Cruyff and Michels instilled into Barcelona during their time there. People forget that before the arrival of the Dutch influence that the Spanish were very much known for their negative football.

Van Gaal has his own variation of Total Football, which is basically the direct precursor of Guardiola’s Tiki taka. LVG is obsessed with football as a team sport, he believes that each player needs to be fulfilling their role of they are at risk of letting the whole team down. So what LVG did was he drastically cut down on the positional swapping that was such a big part of Total Football and instead instilled a system much more based on quick ball circulation. His goal was to move the ball around quickly enough to create number mismatches in various parts of the pitch (4 v 3, 3 v 2, etc) by creating passing triangles. This is exactly what Barcelona still does today. LVG’s system can be very rigid. For example, he does not allow his wingers to attempt to dribble past players unless the situation is 1 v. 1. The way he sees it is that if two players are marking a winger there is space elsewhere that can be exploited. So instead the winger must turn back and the ball must be circulated to try to find that space.

The next influential manager at Barcelona was Rijkaard who played under LVG when Ajax won the Champions League. He largely adhered to LVG’s system with slightly more deference to allow individuals players to have freedom like Cruyff believes.

Finally came Guardiola who is certainly about as similar a manager to LVG as exists. He took LVG’s structured and patient passing and attacking system and ramped it up even further. While LVG doesn’t mind the occasional long ball to test the defense or switch things up, Pep eliminated almost all of that in favor of even more possession. It is unsurprising that Guardiola’s system was greatly steeped in what Van Gaal does considering he played under LVG at Barcelona.

Overall, modern Barcelona still resembles much of what the 70’s Ajax/Netherlands total football embraced. They play 4-3-3, try to keep as much possession as possible, play a highline and press high up the field. But they have evolved much more along the lines of LVG’s team as a unit mentality than Cruyff’s more individual freedom mentality. Basically, watching Guardiola's Barcelona is about 95% percent what you would tactically see out of a LVG team.

They say Bill Clinton was America’s first black president, well by that logic I think that Spain’s 2010 World Cup title was the Netherlands’ first World Cup triumph as well.

I honestly thing there would be more pressure on LVG here than it would be on him at United. As a club I see our pinnacle (at this moment in time and for the last five years) as 3rd place. That is probably the best we could hope for in our economic position with the Stadium restraints and wages we are capable of offering (cheers Liverpool for slightly shitting all over this theory)
Us over the last 5 years
09/10 4th
10/11 5th
11/12 4th. Sacked Redknapp
12/13 5th
13/14 6th probably Sacked AVB
Don't see there being available funds for LVG to have a pop with, just an unfolded and talented squad to get fourth with.

Although I am almost 100% United wouldn't appoint a manager who is in his twilight and I don't see him as an option for them.

He would go there with a cool hundred million+ to invest in a ridiculously aged squad, his season would be seen as transitional compared to Moyes as there will be mass in's and outs giving him a little more wriggle room. United have hugely underachieved this year, I agree their squad isn't what it was but we've had Kyle Naughton playing in about 50% of our games this year, our only sort of Striker playing for 50% and we're still above them, they have underachieved massively. He would go in, probably get them in the champions league for a couple of years and hand the mantle over to Guardiola who would make them win everything forever again and LVG would be seen as part of that.

As I wrote that rambling I just became disgusted that we sacked AVB again, I honestly have little to no faith in our appointments anymore purely because we can't afford them time, AVB was flawed in many ways but he had a system and I think it could of turned a bit sexier when Lamela and Eriksen stopped being dead. It's fucking annoying though, appoint a man sell your best player straight away give him money to buy what he wants and then go over his head and buy what you think is right, do exactly the same the year after, sack him and employ youth manager:levywtf:

Yes please. More upheaval is just what we need.

Why are we having this discussion now, when our current manager has won 5 and drawn 1 of his first 6 league games.

Unless things take a huge turn for the worse, just let Tim carry on doing what he's doing

Yes please. More upheaval is just what we need.

Why are we having this discussion now, when our current manager has won 5 and drawn 1 of his first 6 league games.

Unless things take a huge turn for the worse, just let Tim carry on doing what he's doing
but what about the fact he speaks with a colloquial british accent, doesn't wear suits and is only about a 5/10 looks wise? are we really meant to put up with that, despite the results!

I reckon this is being done to hold onto Vertonghen. As well as the fact he is a decent manager. Bad timing though to come out in the press.
I still believe Sherwood deserved more time as his results really haven't been that bad, as most on here would lead you to believe. Yes, most games we haven't been playing as a unit, but who could after only a 1/3 of a season.

Agree with JDK JDK about Hughton as assistant but I believe LVG will be given his choice to name a coach this time after it being picked for AVB by the man up top.

I was reading or watching an interview with LvG where he was basically saying that he always keeps someone on from the previous team that knows the club. As crazy as it sounds I wouldn't be surprised to see Sherwood as an assistant, despite what he has said in the past about not wanting that role. He would be mad to pass up the chance to learn from LvG and become part of a legacy.

I have to say, Im going to laugh hard when "talking shit in the papers" suddenly becomes funny and witty and lovable...........:llorishuh:

Louis van Gaal is one of the most self-absorbed men in the world of football. He is utterly convinced that he knows more, sees more and can influence more than pretty much everyone else. And if people forget to properly praise him for his achievements, he’ll just praise himself. Because he deserves it. Here are 15 typifying quotes.

20376572891483881170.jpg

1) I know I’m a very good coach.

2) Am I the one who’s so smart, or are you so stupid?

(After a journalist had asked him a question.)

3) Congratulations on signing the best coach in the world.

(To an Ajax director, after signing his first contract as coach.)

1358783925023.jpg

4) Louis van Gaal has nothing more to learn.

(Said about himself in 2001. Later that year he failed to qualify for the World Cup with the Netherlands.)

5) No, I am the ideal man, of course.

(When asked whether Eric Gerets was the ideal man to coach Belgium.)

6) The Bavarian attitude to life suits me perfectly. Why? Bayern’s motto is ‘Mia san mia,’ ‘We are who we are’ and I am who I am: confident, arrogant, dominant, honest, hard-working and innovative.”

(At his first press conference as Bayern Munich coach.)

Louis-van-Gaal-002.jpg

7) I have achieved more with Ajax in six years
than Barcelona has in one hundred years.

(In 1997 after becoming coach of Barcelona.)

8) I’ve signed a contract with the Dutch national team until 2006,
so I can win the World Cup not once but twice.

(Van Gaal in 2000. He failed to even qualify for the 2002 World Cup and then quit as NT coach.)

9) I’m not the kind of coach who just goes out and buys players for the sake of it. I’m a coach who wants to – and can – improve players.

Van-Gaal4.jpg

10) Guardiola follows the Van Gaal Philosophy. So I’m not surprised Bayern have hired Guardiola. Bayern always hire the best managers.

(Ex-Bayern Manager Louis van Gaal)

11) I cry almost every day. There’s always something that touches me.

12) I’ve never worn leggings like Robben does. I’m never cold because I’m warm bloooded. My wife says so too. We always sleep spooning.

576974-louis-van-gaal.jpg

13) If you want to, go ahead.

(After a reporter asked Van Gaal whether he wanted to congratulate his former friend Ronald Koeman with winning the Eredivisie with PSV.)

14) I hope the desire to win is greater than the tiredness. But the body is less strong than the mind. And we’ve got a few wimps in this team.

(Ahead of a DFP Pokal match with Bayern.)

15) Friends of the press, I’m leaving. Congratulations.

(After quitting from Barcelona)

Van-Gaal.jpg

From what I've read, the people responsible for appointing the manager at Man Utd are Old Red Nose and Bobby Charlton.. Old Red nose would not like to admit he got it wrong by offering the job to Moyes and Charlton said in an interview last week that he is convinced they chose the right man..
Man Utd are not Chelsea they pride themselves on having so few managers over the years.
Moyes will be given a second season at the very least..
It's the other lot from South London that bother me.. Wenger looks like he's not going to sign a new deal and you just know what's going to happen.
This is the sort of thing that happens to us and we all know it.

My issue with LVG is the manner in which he appears to have prostituted himself to the Premier League before a ball has been kicked in the World Cup...if you half believe the reports. If united go in for him it inflates his ego even further that he has a choice of 2 high profile jobs in England. He will opt for united to massage his ego of having managed all the biggest global names. If they don't make a move for him, he will come to us for the pay cheque, not to aim for the stars with a good young squad. His whole demeanour has the Redknapp's about it.

He's a free agent mate. He doesn't owe anyone anything. If you were searching for a job wouldn't you hold out for the better and higher paying one if you had the chance? Of course you would. He's conducting himself like any of us would in a job search where we had no emotional connection.

Unfortunately, there isn't a single manager out there who would choose us over United if given the choice. You can say LVG is a cunt and has an obnoxious ego for his previous actions but I don't think that picking United over us is an example of that. Every manager would do it.

Also if you've ever listened to anything LVG has said you'll know he isn't in it for the money like many are. The guy only wants to be known as one of the greatest to ever manage. If he ends up coming here we will get his best effort, I'm certain of that.

I think Van Gaal is our man next season... Sherwood is merely holding the fort.
The 18 month contract would mean fuck-all if it were a player who was suddenly approached by a 'Real Madrid/Barca' type of club, they'd walk without batting an eyelid...
so I doubt very much Levy would lose ANY sleep over paying Timmy off 6 months early, regardless of whether we get 4th place or not.
Van Gaal would be feckin' awesome!

(but I still like what Timmy's done with us so far... I just think he'll get to the point where he "can't take us any further" a bit sooner than someone like Van Gaal would, thass all!)

Getting a manager that will retire soon for long term planning and stability ? Brilliant!

He's 62. Redknapp was 64 when sacked and still going strong at 66. Heynckes retired at 68, Ferguson at 71. Trapattoni is 74, Capello 67. If Van Gaal can give us 5 successful years I wouldn't care!

What's with the Gomes hate @ sammyspurs sammyspurs ? The season we finished 4th I seem to recall Gomes played out of his skin against Woolwich and Chelsea in succession, without those performences you would not be using your "Harry took us to a quarter-final against Real Madrid in the CL" line - show him some respect, if you're going to use the "Bale wasn't the same player then" line then Gomes was not the clown you make him out to be.

I'd take Hughton as an assistant. Tottenham man and he can organize a defense. He could be massively helpful.

Back
Top Bottom