Louis Van Gaal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I believe we had a stronger squad because of King/Modric/Bale and thought it was easier to come 4th because of lack of strong City/Liverpool. It's hard to leave a heated debate.
boomerang2.jpg

In reality, it doesn't matter what the "top 4" strong teams are doing, because technically it wouldn't stop you winning the league.

Say Man City, Chelsea, United and Woolwich are taken, and you call that the top 4 (begrudingly).

There's 38 games in a season, making a total of 114 points to play for. If you play those 4 and lose every league game against them, that's 8 games and you've lost 24 points. Statistically you could win every other game you're not playing them and have 90 points at the end of the season. You'd easily finish fourth, if not win the league.

As soon as a team blames other teams for being stronger, that's when you know you're not progressing - there's another 30 games against another 15 teams to play for, in which the strength of the other teams ("top 4") should not have an effect.

I believe we had a stronger squad because of King/Modric/Bale and thought it was easier to come 4th because of lack of strong City/Liverpool. It's hard to leave a heated debate.

Bale is a one off, but Bale in 09-10 was not the Bale we just sold.

Laughable that you actually think those 3 players can counter Gomes for Lloris, Hutton for Walker, Palacios for Sandro, Crouch for Soldado , Pav for Ade, Bentley for Eriksen, Bassong for Vlad, Woodgate for Vertonghen, Kranjcar for Paulinho and Jenas for Dembele.

And we still have the likes of Lamela and Capoue waiting to come through at some point.

I guess you'd have been happier with Dervitte and Bassong at the back recently when we had an injury crisis....and Crouch up top on his own?

Not enough facepalms on the entire internet...

Bale is a one off, but Bale in 09-10 was not the Bale we just sold.

Laughable that you actually think those 3 players can counter Gomes for Lloris, Hutton for Walker, Palacios for Sandro, Crouch for Soldado , Pav for Ade, Bentley for Eriksen, Bassong for Vlad, Woodgate for Vertonghen, Kranjcar for Paulinho and Jenas for Dembele.

And we still have the likes of Lamela and Capoue waiting to come through at some point.

I guess you'd have been happier with Dervitte and Bassong at the back recently when we had an injury crisis....and Crouch up top on his own?

Not enough facepalms on the entire internet...

Our squad is without doubt the strongest I have seen it, about 8 good midfielders alone, problem is we have had so many players come in, avb struggle badly, a new manager and even then Tim may not last the summer. Remember man city a few seasons ago when they came 5th after spending stupid amounts of money but they could not play as a team that is the position we find ourselves in.

We are not the sum of our parts at the moment and play too much as individuals, it takes stability to play as a team, that is why I am confident for the future as I think the talent of the team will eventually begin to show more.

The only really weak area that worries me is our forwards, soldado is playing badly and when Ade is off we don't have many alternatives, if we can sort that out in the summer I think the team is all round very strong. The fact we have just had recently close to 11 players injured and still done ok shows we do have some depth.

I think if we could get LvG as manager in the summer, we should go all out to make it happen. He is just the kind of manager who could cement us as a Top 4 team (Potentially more) leaving us in a much better position to get another top quality manager (Maybe FdB when he has more experience) when he leaves us/retires.

My fears with Sherwood are that he is hardly a name that any Big Name player is going to look at as an attractive prospect to work with, and I fear that if we continue with Sherwood, the position we will be left in after his inevitable sacking (Lets be fair, the guy has lost every big game he has managed so far) will make names like LvG, FdB and any other manager worth his salt look at us as a job way beneath them and their abilities.

@ SchmoodSpur2013 SchmoodSpur2013 , You've probably reached the point by now where you are wondering if @ sammyspurs sammyspurs is being deliberately obtuse or if he could actually fall in to a bath of needles and emerge unscathed, such is his talent for missing the point!

Missing what point?

"Our squad was stronger in the 2009 - 2010 season than it is now"

Or

Van Gaal is a world class manager so he needs 2-5yrs to show progress from what Redknapp did in 1 full season?

Yes, I am missing both points because they are both bullshit.

I challenge any one of you to sit here and be patient if LvG comes in, and after FOUR YEARS we still havent topped what Arry did..

:defoe:

Back
Top Bottom