Louis Van Gaal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

ArcspacE

ENIC OUT NOW !!! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
Louis Van Gaal approached over Tottenham job
Last Updated: 19/01/14 11:33pm

Netherlands coach Louis Van Gaal has admitted he was approached by Tottenham over the possibility of becoming manager after Andre Villas-Boas was sacked.

The 62-year-old has enjoyed an illustrious coaching career, guiding Ajax to Champions League and UEFA Cup glory in the 1990's.

He also been in charge at Barcelona, Bayern Munich and AZ Alkmaar, and is currently in his second spell as Netherlands' national coach.

Van Gaal had been lined up as a replacement for Villas-Boas before caretaker-boss Tim Sherwood took over on a permanent basis at White Hart Lane.

Instead he decided to focus solely on taking charge of his country for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil but concedes he may consider a move to the English top-flight in the future.

"I want to work in the Premier League because that is the league I have not worked in yet," he told Sky Sports News.

"I want to coach here in the Premier League because I think Spain, Germany and England are the strongest competitions.

"That is an ambition and who knows."

As for whether he was considered for the Spurs job, Van Gaal was happy to confirm the approach.

"Everybody knows it so I can admit it," he added. "I don't do things in a double function (holding two jobs at the same time).

"You have to give an example to your players that they have to focus on the national team and that is my ambition also.

"I have refused (the Tottenham job) but maybe there will come another chance. That is the difficulty with coaching. When you are free, then maybe there are no vacancies.

"When you are working, then there are vacancies. It is always difficult.

"After the World Cup I shall retire or, if there is a Premier League club, I shall think about it."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...-louis-van-gaal-approached-over-tottenham-job

"Van Gaal is an avid promoter of attacking football, educated in the best traditions of the Total Football by Ajax and the Dutch national team of the 1970s. As a coach he is known as a slow starter who frequently finds his players needing ample time to grasp his tactics and intent of play. Generally his teams gather results in the second or third season under his coaching. During several periods in his career, Van Gaal has had his troubles with the media. He is known to be very blunt with media representatives he perceives to be asking him 'stupid' questions."
Straight out of Wikipedia, that's the quality I'm bringing to this forum.

I think Van Gaal is our man next season... Sherwood is merely holding the fort.
The 18 month contract would mean fuck-all if it were a player who was suddenly approached by a 'Real Madrid/Barca' type of club, they'd walk without batting an eyelid...
so I doubt very much Levy would lose ANY sleep over paying Timmy off 6 months early, regardless of whether we get 4th place or not.
Van Gaal would be feckin' awesome!

(but I still like what Timmy's done with us so far... I just think he'll get to the point where he "can't take us any further" a bit sooner than someone like Van Gaal would, thass all!)

I think Van Gaal is our man next season... Sherwood is merely holding the fort.
The 18 month contract would mean fuck-all if it were a player who was suddenly approached by a 'Real Madrid/Barca' type of club, they'd walk without batting an eyelid...
so I doubt very much Levy would lose ANY sleep over paying Timmy off 6 months early, regardless of whether we get 4th place or not.
Van Gaal would be feckin' awesome!

(but I still like what Timmy's done with us so far... I just think he'll get to the point where he "can't take us any further" a bit sooner than someone like Van Gaal would, thass all!)

If it aint broken............

Besides he doesn't exactly sound like he's in it for the long haul...

Exactly, would rather have someone who is young and hungry than someone who is retiring and doesn't seem fussed either way.

Ahhhh, bet that's like comparing an experienced girl who's done the LOT, but who plays hard to get (but she'll still come, you know she will), with an over-eager ugly one (who looks like a goat) and is desperate for anything she can get!!

OK, it's not like that... but y'know!

Timmy's limitations may well be found out in the CL (if he gets us there) ...whereas LvG's won't!

I may be paranoid but this just reeks of sky looking to rock our boat again.

"Sherwood is doing a pretty good job, lets run a few stories about Spurs getting rid of him."

That's the attitude Louis. Show the world how much you want this job. Ambition.

Hear what you're saying, bro. But this is a wiley old fox we are dealing with and he knows his audience.

Maybe a negotiating tactic? :levyeyes:

"I'm thinking of retiring, make me an offer I cant refuse because I want this to be my last job"

Back
Top Bottom