Can we all agree...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Could Tottenham actually win the league? - Football365

Could Tottenham actually win the league?

Date published: Sunday 22nd November 2015 7:21

Tottenham-Football365-700x367.jpg

“This is the best team I’ve played in since I’ve been at Tottenham. He is trying to change the culture of the club and that was needed. We are very strong as a team and there is a good atmosphere in the group.”

Consternation was the general reaction to Mousa Dembele’s comments this weekend. Spurs, unbeaten since an opening-day defeat, currently boast one of the most promising sides in the Premier League; if anything that is an understatement. But the best side to inhabit White Hart Lane since Dembele’s arrival three years ago? A bold claim.

Having arrived in the summer of 2012, Dembele is in the privileged position among the current squad of being able to compare Harry Redknapp’s swashbuckling top-four challengers and former Champions League quarter-finalists with Mauricio Pochettino’s current edition through first-hand experience. Gareth Bale or Erik Lamela? Luka Modric or Dele Alli? Rafael van der Vaart or Christian Eriksen? Kyle Walker circa 2011/12 or Kyle Walker circa 2015/16?

While the answer to each – Eriksen aside – would almost certainly be the first option on an individual basis, this is no longer a Spurs team built of individuals. They boast one of the Premier League’s three best keepers in Hugo Lloris, one of the three finest central defenders in Toby Alderweireld, one of the most balanced and promising midfield pairings in Alli and Eric Dier, and one of the league’s leading strikers in Harry Kane, but this is a team in every sense of the word.

Dembele suggested as such in his reasoning: “We’re playing very much as a team, something we haven’t done much in the past. It is not one or two players playing well, the team is playing well and that allows for someone if they have an off day – it’s a good thing.” Where the previous side would rely on a moment of Bale genius or Modric excellence to carry them through, Spurs in the current day are synonymous with a team effort.

Sunday’s London derby with West Ham heralded a clash between fifth and sixth in the Premier League, but the gulf in class was considerably more than one place. Spurs looked irresistible while West Ham’s typically trustworthy defence crumbled; an away record which had seen the Hammers win more points than all but Woolwich was tossed aside in 90 whirlwind minutes.

That West Ham were missing Dimitri Payet should not be ignored, but it merely strengthens the consensus that this is a different Spurs. They too were missing a key player in the suspended Erik Lamela, but still recorded their second biggest victory of the season.

Dembele continued his remarkable renaissance against the Hammers with a fine all-round performance; look no further for a player more symptomatic of the debate between team and individual talent. The Belgian struggled to impose himself at White Hart Lane under the management of Andre Villas-Boas and Tim Sherwood, but he has been a revelation under the tutelage of Pochettino. No player made more key passes (4), no player enjoyed more touches (84), no player won more tackles (4), and no team-mate won possession more times (14).

The most striking aspect of this Spurs side is their average age. The trio of Hugo Lloris, Jan Vertonghen and Dembele formed a veritable trio of senior citizens at 28, with Alli (19), Dier (21), Kane (22) and Eriksen (23) providing the cliche-ridden reminder that if you’re good enough, you’re old enough.

While the future is bright, what of the short-term? What should Spurs target this season? The top four, certainly. Now in fifth, just two points separate them from Woolwich. With Chelsea adrift and Liverpool amid a chasing pack upon which Spurs have a three-point cushion, an inability to secure Champions League qualification this season would be seen as a failure. In that sense, they are the victims of their own success.

But, in this predictable season which sees Leicester top the table after 13 games, Jamie Vardy equalling Ruud van Nistelrooy’s records and the reigning champions suffering more league defeats than all but the bottom three, could – and whisper this quietly – Spurs sustain a title challenge?

Manchester United look only sporadically convincing, as do Manchester City, and their bitter North London rivals are undergoing their typical November collapse. Consistency could well be integral, and considering Spurs are on an unbeaten run at least twice as long as any other side (Leicester are on the second-longest with six games), Pochettino’s side could be in with a chance. The slimmest of chances is a chance, after all.

When asked whether Spurs could win the league this season after watching what he described as their best performance yet, Pochettino simply replied: “We’re a young squad.” You don’t win anything with kids, you see.

What is for certain is that Spurs are stronger, more resilient, more rounded and, consequently, better than perhaps all their predecessors in the Premier League era. Only Leicester and Manchester City have scored more league goals, while only Manchester United have conceded fewer; cue a heavy defeat to Chelsea next week.

As the saying goes: the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. And when those parts are this good, the sum simply gets better. Optimism – albeit characteristically cautious – is unavoidable.

Matt Stead
So how do I sin bin Football365.com?

You're not really Spurs are you mate? I don't mind but be honest.
There's a reason the epl receives so much money, that reason escapes some it seems..... Although I do believe English teams struggle in Europe simply because of how demanding the premiership is, no other league in the world has so many teams competing for top spot/top four

the quality of the defending in the premiership is pretty weak.
the main reason the premiership gets so much money is because its so entertaining.
u dont get away with playing that way in europe.
our flaws with the way our teams play are highlighted.
u cant solely blame it on being tired from our very competitive league.
although i agree that is a factor.
but premiership teams dont really help themselves in europe or do as well as they should do.

the main reason the premiership gets so much money is because its so entertaining.
but premiership teams dont really help themselves in europe or do as well as they should do.
You type strangely.

Just explain why it's so entertaining? I think the fa are the main reason we seem so bad in Europe, Spanish teams get to move their match to friday/early Saturday if they play wednesday - we have to play Monday nite, Thursday and Saturday - something wrong there imo

Can we all agree that we are not going to win the league. Such talk is nonsense and counter productive.
I also see that some rags are saying Poch has said he believes we will finish top 4, when he said nothing of the sort.
He said we have the quality but that is not what we think of. The next game is all we should think about.

We will suffer a dip in form. It happens and will happen with the young squad we have. The best thing about this team is that, they are a team. They work hard for each other. They are also young and can improve. We have 3 or 4 players in that team you can say are the finished article. Although you don't stop learning at 28, the majority of the team are young, with little experience of top flight football and still learning
This is a work in progress. It has taken Poch a whole season to root out the players he wanted to keep and then implement his style. It also takes a little time to instill a culture into a club..
We are seeing the beginnings of it this season. It's miles to early to put any expectations on him or the squad.
Are we going to sack him if he doesn't achieve them?

We should just be happy we are at last seeing a team emerging. Not a team of individuals who may or may not turn up. What more can you ask than see the person who pulls on the shirt give 100% for 100% of the game and win - or at least not lose -games?

We are looking good, but there is a long way to go. Poch is the type of man who won't let hype transfer to the players. I think we have young players who also will not let it go to their heads.
Let's not start to get carried away with the hype too.

Enjoy it. What happens will happen.

Just explain why it's so entertaining? I think the fa are the main reason we seem so bad in Europe, Spanish teams get to move their match to friday/early Saturday if they play wednesday - we have to play Monday nite, Thursday and Saturday - something wrong there imo
its very fast paced, pile in football & very attacking.
poor defending & lots of mistakes. great to watch!
that style doesnt help in europe. & like u say, it tires out the players.

the FA dont help with our teams in europe.
but lets be honest, we dont help ourselves.
post season trip to oz. we then went to usa before playing in that cup in germany very close to the start of the season.

its like the calls for a winter break. i bet u most teams would use that to fly half way across the world to play in some friendly just for £££ reasons.

I'm hoping that Woolwich, City and Chelsea's recent hiccups force them into over spending big in Jan and they get a bunch of unfit, injury prone non prem ready gambles that compound their issues.

I hope we do the opposite. I hope we stick with what we have. Everyone is going to be looking for a striker so unless it's a bargain that drops in our lap like VDV or a well researched young/cheap player like Alli we should ideally have an understated transfer month.

As it stands, if Kane does get injured, you could argue that we are better suited for a 4-3-3 anyway due to the killers in the team being more AM material than striker. Having 3 slightly more defensive midfielders behind them can unchain them too. They won't have to hold back as much as Dier has been as they will have more cover. And we all know what he can do when he gets forward. Mason, Dier and Bentaleb can be dangerous in the final third as general box to box midfielders. We still have not seen what they can do long term if loosened up a little.

I would not mind a softer front 3 with a solid 3 behind them. Normally the thought of a front 3 of Eriksen, Lamela and Son would worry me with just 2 covering midfielders behind them. With 3, it will be less risky.

I do expect us to try and get a backup for Kane, but hopefully not at any cost. And not to replace anyone if Kane is fit.

I get that some of us on here are thinking somewhat negative to offset the positivity. But Jesus some of you guys are REALLY trying to convince yourself that we won't win the league. Like it would be a horrific thing if we did.

Just ride the wild surf and see where it takes us.

Last edited:
I get that some of us on here are thinking somewhat negative to offset the positivity. But Jesus some of you guys are REALLY trying to convince yourself that we won't win the league. Like it would be a horrific thing if we did.

Just ride the wild surf and see where it takes us.
is it that negative to think we wont win the league when we are currently 5th.

me personally, i have seem some grown spurs men cry from having unrealistic hopes & dreams.
so i am just being a kill joy to any spurs fans who dont handle disappointment very well.

but i guess most of u lot can handle it & wont have a breakdown when we dont win the league.

its good to dream. so long as u remember its just that. so carry on dreaming........

ps. i remember a mate crying loads when we lost to croatia & didnt qualify for the euros. very akward. i thought a bit heartless & cold for not crying too. oh kranjcar how could u!

is it that negative to think we wont win the league when we are currently 5th.

me personally, i have seem some grown spurs men cry from having unrealistic hopes & dreams.
so i am just being a kill joy to any spurs fans who dont handle disappointment very well.

but i guess most of u lot can handle it & wont have a breakdown when we dont win the league.

its good to dream. so long as u remember its just that. so carry on dreaming........

ps. i remember a mate crying loads when we lost to croatia & didnt qualify for the euros. very akward. i thought a bit heartless & cold for not crying too. oh kranjcar how could u!
Why do you care so much about Spurs fans being bummed out with high expectations? They're grown adults, let them think what they want.

There's also a big difference between thinking we have a shot at winning the league to "we're going to win the league and that's that!" The OP says that anyone that thinks we have a shot at winning the league should be binned. That's just ridiculous. We have just as good of a shot as any team to win the league. We have a fighting chance and there's nothing wrong with having high hopes with that fighting chance.

In your first post in this thread you said:
"i wouldnt sin bin people for saying we can win the title.
but it just setting yourself up for a fall & to be disappointed.
no chance of us winning the title.
il give anyone 1000/1 if they like. il sell the house if we win the title to pay u all your winnings.
seriously, u would be just given me free ££."

You are one of those posters that I referenced in my above post where you are almost screaming in your posts that we have no chance in hell to win the title. Like I said, being negative to offset the positivity is one thing (I do it all the time in all facets of life. But to almost put people down for thinking we have just as good of a chance to win the league than any other team is a different level of douchebaggery.

Why do you care so much about Spurs fans being bummed out with high expectations? They're grown adults, let them think what they want.

There's also a big difference between thinking we have a shot at winning the league to "we're going to win the league and that's that!" The OP says that anyone that thinks we have a shot at winning the league should be binned. That's just ridiculous. We have just as good of a shot as any team to win the league. We have a fighting chance and there's nothing wrong with having high hopes with that fighting chance.

In your first post in this thread you said:
"i wouldnt sin bin people for saying we can win the title.
but it just setting yourself up for a fall & to be disappointed.
no chance of us winning the title.
il give anyone 1000/1 if they like. il sell the house if we win the title to pay u all your winnings.
seriously, u would be just given me free ££."

You are one of those posters that I referenced in my above post where you are almost screaming in your posts that we have no chance in hell to win the title. Like I said, being negative to offset the positivity is one thing (I do it all the time in all facets of life. But to almost put people down for thinking we have just as good of a chance to win the league than any other team is a different level of douchebaggery.
what can i say? i am a caring person.
just like u care about people being able to dream.

i agree people can think what they like & shouldnt be binned for dreaming.
equally i can voice my opinion that we wont win it.
i was just trying to balance it up a bit because i think people are already getting carried away.
but as u say, its up to them if they want to get carried away.

& my first post was more to make a point that even with generous odds. its still just wasted ££ if u bet it on something thats not going to happen. but i guess its up to them what they spend their ££ on.

Back
Top Bottom