Can we all agree...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

... Sin bin and one week ban for any poster suggesting we will challenge for the title this year?

I took comfort in the fact that we didn't win today when I realised that the board would be littered with "title contender" nonsense if we did, and then I see people are posting this elsewhere and I'm thinking - FFS! Our title challenge is as strong as West Ham's, Leicester's and Crystal Palace's. That said, those clubs and ours probably have a batter shot at the title then Chelsea this year.

So yeah - if you (the poster) suggest were going to challenge for the title I am beg repoint you and requesting you hit the sin bin. Anyone else with me?

You took comfort in the fact we didn't win the NLD?....literally what are you doing here?

... Sin bin and one week ban for any poster suggesting we will challenge for the title this year?

I took comfort in the fact that we didn't win today when I realised that the board would be littered with "title contender" nonsense if we did, and then I see people are posting this elsewhere and I'm thinking - FFS! Our title challenge is as strong as West Ham's, Leicester's and Crystal Palace's. That said, those clubs and ours probably have a batter shot at the title then Chelsea this year.

So yeah - if you (the poster) suggest were going to challenge for the title I am beg repoint you and requesting you hit the sin bin. Anyone else with me?

I fear that your relentless positivity may land you in trouble one day.

:pocheyes:

Also, don't say ''as strong as West Ham''..we are far better than them, therefore have a far better chance.

You should be banned just for suggesting Spam are on our level.

189.gif

The league is really weak, but we're not title contenders. We can challenge for top 4 imo. We played a great game and should probably had all 3 points today, but let's not get carried away

In context. 100/1 is outrageous when the team we outplayed today are 13/8, the team we thrashed are odds on, and the team that needed an own goal to beat us are 7/1.

I don't want to be repetitive, but it bears repeating: after 12 games, the only team to score a winning goal against Spurs in this competition this season is, er, Spurs.

Again, I invite you to stop what you're doing and consider that fact for a minute.

:pochohshit:

Could Tottenham actually win the league? - Football365

Could Tottenham actually win the league?

Date published: Sunday 22nd November 2015 7:21

Tottenham-Football365-700x367.jpg

“This is the best team I’ve played in since I’ve been at Tottenham. He is trying to change the culture of the club and that was needed. We are very strong as a team and there is a good atmosphere in the group.”

Consternation was the general reaction to Mousa Dembele’s comments this weekend. Spurs, unbeaten since an opening-day defeat, currently boast one of the most promising sides in the Premier League; if anything that is an understatement. But the best side to inhabit White Hart Lane since Dembele’s arrival three years ago? A bold claim.

Having arrived in the summer of 2012, Dembele is in the privileged position among the current squad of being able to compare Harry Redknapp’s swashbuckling top-four challengers and former Champions League quarter-finalists with Mauricio Pochettino’s current edition through first-hand experience. Gareth Bale or Erik Lamela? Luka Modric or Dele Alli? Rafael van der Vaart or Christian Eriksen? Kyle Walker circa 2011/12 or Kyle Walker circa 2015/16?

While the answer to each – Eriksen aside – would almost certainly be the first option on an individual basis, this is no longer a Spurs team built of individuals. They boast one of the Premier League’s three best keepers in Hugo Lloris, one of the three finest central defenders in Toby Alderweireld, one of the most balanced and promising midfield pairings in Alli and Eric Dier, and one of the league’s leading strikers in Harry Kane, but this is a team in every sense of the word.

Dembele suggested as such in his reasoning: “We’re playing very much as a team, something we haven’t done much in the past. It is not one or two players playing well, the team is playing well and that allows for someone if they have an off day – it’s a good thing.” Where the previous side would rely on a moment of Bale genius or Modric excellence to carry them through, Spurs in the current day are synonymous with a team effort.

Sunday’s London derby with West Ham heralded a clash between fifth and sixth in the Premier League, but the gulf in class was considerably more than one place. Spurs looked irresistible while West Ham’s typically trustworthy defence crumbled; an away record which had seen the Hammers win more points than all but Woolwich was tossed aside in 90 whirlwind minutes.

That West Ham were missing Dimitri Payet should not be ignored, but it merely strengthens the consensus that this is a different Spurs. They too were missing a key player in the suspended Erik Lamela, but still recorded their second biggest victory of the season.

Dembele continued his remarkable renaissance against the Hammers with a fine all-round performance; look no further for a player more symptomatic of the debate between team and individual talent. The Belgian struggled to impose himself at White Hart Lane under the management of Andre Villas-Boas and Tim Sherwood, but he has been a revelation under the tutelage of Pochettino. No player made more key passes (4), no player enjoyed more touches (84), no player won more tackles (4), and no team-mate won possession more times (14).

The most striking aspect of this Spurs side is their average age. The trio of Hugo Lloris, Jan Vertonghen and Dembele formed a veritable trio of senior citizens at 28, with Alli (19), Dier (21), Kane (22) and Eriksen (23) providing the cliche-ridden reminder that if you’re good enough, you’re old enough.

While the future is bright, what of the short-term? What should Spurs target this season? The top four, certainly. Now in fifth, just two points separate them from Woolwich. With Chelsea adrift and Liverpool amid a chasing pack upon which Spurs have a three-point cushion, an inability to secure Champions League qualification this season would be seen as a failure. In that sense, they are the victims of their own success.

But, in this predictable season which sees Leicester top the table after 13 games, Jamie Vardy equalling Ruud van Nistelrooy’s records and the reigning champions suffering more league defeats than all but the bottom three, could – and whisper this quietly – Spurs sustain a title challenge?

Manchester United look only sporadically convincing, as do Manchester City, and their bitter North London rivals are undergoing their typical November collapse. Consistency could well be integral, and considering Spurs are on an unbeaten run at least twice as long as any other side (Leicester are on the second-longest with six games), Pochettino’s side could be in with a chance. The slimmest of chances is a chance, after all.

When asked whether Spurs could win the league this season after watching what he described as their best performance yet, Pochettino simply replied: “We’re a young squad.” You don’t win anything with kids, you see.

What is for certain is that Spurs are stronger, more resilient, more rounded and, consequently, better than perhaps all their predecessors in the Premier League era. Only Leicester and Manchester City have scored more league goals, while only Manchester United have conceded fewer; cue a heavy defeat to Chelsea next week.

As the saying goes: the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. And when those parts are this good, the sum simply gets better. Optimism – albeit characteristically cautious – is unavoidable.

Matt Stead
So how do I sin bin Football365.com?

CqXePFo.jpg

If Man Utd are title contenders. So are we.

I suppose it depends on whether you think Man Utd are title contenders, I suppose.

It's pretty much a four year plan, which we're in year two of. That's why I asked the 3 year question.

14/15 Poch's first season - see what we've got, start changes. Finish 5th.
15/16 Second season - make changes, let them bed in, see early results. Finish 4th.
16/17 Third season - consistency in results, winning streaks, fluent play. Finish 3rd.
17/18 Fourth season - Best player sold. Bad start. Sack the manager. Finish 6th.

Some people never fucking learn. We were title challengers in Harry's final season and we know how that turned out. A decent run and people get carried away. Every. Fucking. Time.:pochfacepalm:

The league is really weak, but we're not title contenders. We can challenge for top 4 imo. We played a great game and should probably had all 3 points today, but let's not get carried away
There are 26 games left. That's 78 points to play for. Now I'm not going to be saying until mathematically impossible we are still in the chase but I haven't seen much to say that even at this stage, you can rule us out. Being carried away is saying it'll be a cake walk. Top four is on, winning the league is POSSIBLE.

I get that some of us on here are thinking somewhat negative to offset the positivity. But Jesus some of you guys are REALLY trying to convince yourself that we won't win the league. Like it would be a horrific thing if we did.

Just ride the wild surf and see where it takes us.

Last edited:
After 4 games I had a mate (Leeds fan...lol) banging on about how even Palace were gonna finish above us and we wouldn't be in the top 6. Challenged him to a wager and said name the price.

He didn't message me back after Defoe scored last night.
Just like that silly old twat Warnock who was harping on about "ee, bye-gum, I reckun Pallis will finish abuv Spurz, me" a couple months back on Talkshite.

"Ee, I reckun Pallis av got a better teem than them Spurs, me"

Fuck off, you silly old twat.

Fucking hell, I'm just glad that some of the posters here aren't doing Poch's job.

'Don't be misled by our unbeaten run, lads, we're one injury away from disaster and will never sustain this form. Repeat after me: "We cannot and never will win the Premier League title." Now - back to the beep tests.'

Back
Top Bottom