Can we all agree...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Wouldn't the ones saying we can realistically win the title, take 1st now?

Or have I completely misunderstood your question? :pochrolleyes:
ha. not a very clear question.
well its what u would take now given the current state of the team & league.
u could say ud only take 1st now. but if we finish lower, it would mean u got too greedy & should have settled for lower.
especially if u say ud only take 1st now & then we end up 5th.
even taking 4th would have been much better.

or it can work the other way. id take 4th now but if we end up higher it means i was wrong to settle for lower.

i should have just said, would u settle for & take 4th now? & if not, whats the lowest position u would accept if offered now?

its not like u are taking the position u say now even though it sounds like that.

more that at this moment in time, u wouldnt settle for any lower than what position u say.
so if we end up lower than the position u say, u were right.
if we end up higher, u were wrong.

badly worded question.

no. i meant more that he doesnt always start.
& also if uv seen west ham this season, a lot of there goals had nothing to do with aerial crosses even when carroll has played.
i just meant they will probably focus more on crosses after we were poor against it at the weekend.

calm down mick. i wasnt saying they wouldnt have lumped it to carroll anyway.
just that i reckon they will do it more than usual.

like if a keepers been dodgy from long range shots recently. id say the other team might take more long range shots than normal.
so before u say what do u think the goal is there for? to not shoot at?!!!
i am saying more shots than normal.
Calm down? I was more or less agreeing with you!
Not sure we were all that poor at defending crosses against the filth. They had two chances but it was to Giroud, so it's pretty much a defensive clearance.....

Calm down? I was more or less agreeing with you!
Not sure we were all that poor at defending crosses against the filth. They had two chances but it was to Giroud, so it's pretty much a defensive clearance.....

No we weren't poor, but considering our game plan is to push teams wide when we're defending we were average.

No we weren't poor, but considering our game plan is to push teams wide when we're defending we were average.
it is?
That's a game plan?

I understand that it will be a natural consequence of being faced with the Dier, Alderweireld, Vertongen tripple whammy in the centre, I'm not sure that it would be coached.

But then again, I'm not a coach - so you may well be right.
The thing, for me, that reduced the overall assessment score was surrendering the midfield in the last 20 minutes, and putting all the pressure on the defence - which by and large, stood up to it.

their goal looked more of an accident than a genuine goal attempt.

it is?
That's a game plan?

I understand that it will be a natural consequence of being faced with the Dier, Alderweireld, Vertongen tripple whammy in the centre, I'm not sure that it would be coached.

But then again, I'm not a coach - so you may well be right.
The thing, for me, that reduced the overall assessment score was surrendering the midfield in the last 20 minutes, and putting all the pressure on the defence - which by and large, stood up to it.

their goal looked more of an accident than a genuine goal attempt.
I'm not a coach either, but l think it is. It has worked well this season, but l thought Jan and Toby looked less assured against Woolwich. Obviously it would be better to cut out the crosses in the first place, but we are going to be attacked from somewhere. I remember Utd a couple of seasons ago having the highest number of crosses in the league and they got jack from them. Teams had worked them out. l think Poch is thinking along those lines, but obviously l don't know. Anyway, any criticism is relative - we played them off the park.

Last edited:
I'm not a coach either, but l think it is. It has worked well this season, but l thought Jan and Toby looked less assured against Woolwich. Obviously it would be better to cut out the crosses in the first place, but we are going to be attacked from somewhere. I remember Utd a couple of seasons ago having the highest number of crosses in the league and they got jack from them. Teams had worked them out. l think Poch is thinking along those lines, but obviously l don't know. Anyway, any criticism is relative - we played them off the park.

Looked less assured for sure, but no need to panic (not saying you, specifically, are). I know this is heresy, but objectively, Woolwich has better crossers, especially Ozil, than most teams, Giroud has better movement than most, and they brought more players forward for the last quarter of the match than most teams will against us.

Looked less assured for sure, but no need to panic (not saying you, specifically, are). I know this is heresy, but objectively, Woolwich has better crossers, especially Ozil, than most teams, Giroud has better movement than most, and they brought more players forward for the last quarter of the match than most teams will against us.
Ha no I'm not panicking. My point about 'relative' criticism was meant to indicate woolwich's strength is those areas.

Giroud may have good movement but IMO he's shite as evidenced by his missed chances!

Yes their goal was a shinned fluke but caused by Son not closing down the cross.

Not that I'm blaming Son as he's been out for a while, rusty and it's difficult to get to the pace of a NLD.
Not that I'm blaming Poch as we (me included) were all calling for his introduction to finish those cunts off which they richly deserved!
In hindsight he shd have also brought Mason on earlier to steady the midfield.

Easy to say now but still two points dropped which says it all!

Mick Cooper Mick Cooper serious shit going on in Paris.
Confused?

I was Joe - I went out for a few beers in town last night and then dinner at my friends house. and sat talking rather than watch the box.
I caught up with the news after seeing your post this AM.

What a world we live in. How long before we get it here?

a classic pile of poo.
how low can the quality of the premiership get?
the amount of mistakes is shocking.
1 things for sure.
no premiership team will win the CL this year.

Could Tottenham actually win the league? - Football365

Could Tottenham actually win the league?

Date published: Sunday 22nd November 2015 7:21

Tottenham-Football365-700x367.jpg

“This is the best team I’ve played in since I’ve been at Tottenham. He is trying to change the culture of the club and that was needed. We are very strong as a team and there is a good atmosphere in the group.”

Consternation was the general reaction to Mousa Dembele’s comments this weekend. Spurs, unbeaten since an opening-day defeat, currently boast one of the most promising sides in the Premier League; if anything that is an understatement. But the best side to inhabit White Hart Lane since Dembele’s arrival three years ago? A bold claim.

Having arrived in the summer of 2012, Dembele is in the privileged position among the current squad of being able to compare Harry Redknapp’s swashbuckling top-four challengers and former Champions League quarter-finalists with Mauricio Pochettino’s current edition through first-hand experience. Gareth Bale or Erik Lamela? Luka Modric or Dele Alli? Rafael van der Vaart or Christian Eriksen? Kyle Walker circa 2011/12 or Kyle Walker circa 2015/16?

While the answer to each – Eriksen aside – would almost certainly be the first option on an individual basis, this is no longer a Spurs team built of individuals. They boast one of the Premier League’s three best keepers in Hugo Lloris, one of the three finest central defenders in Toby Alderweireld, one of the most balanced and promising midfield pairings in Alli and Eric Dier, and one of the league’s leading strikers in Harry Kane, but this is a team in every sense of the word.

Dembele suggested as such in his reasoning: “We’re playing very much as a team, something we haven’t done much in the past. It is not one or two players playing well, the team is playing well and that allows for someone if they have an off day – it’s a good thing.” Where the previous side would rely on a moment of Bale genius or Modric excellence to carry them through, Spurs in the current day are synonymous with a team effort.

Sunday’s London derby with West Ham heralded a clash between fifth and sixth in the Premier League, but the gulf in class was considerably more than one place. Spurs looked irresistible while West Ham’s typically trustworthy defence crumbled; an away record which had seen the Hammers win more points than all but Woolwich was tossed aside in 90 whirlwind minutes.

That West Ham were missing Dimitri Payet should not be ignored, but it merely strengthens the consensus that this is a different Spurs. They too were missing a key player in the suspended Erik Lamela, but still recorded their second biggest victory of the season.

Dembele continued his remarkable renaissance against the Hammers with a fine all-round performance; look no further for a player more symptomatic of the debate between team and individual talent. The Belgian struggled to impose himself at White Hart Lane under the management of Andre Villas-Boas and Tim Sherwood, but he has been a revelation under the tutelage of Pochettino. No player made more key passes (4), no player enjoyed more touches (84), no player won more tackles (4), and no team-mate won possession more times (14).

The most striking aspect of this Spurs side is their average age. The trio of Hugo Lloris, Jan Vertonghen and Dembele formed a veritable trio of senior citizens at 28, with Alli (19), Dier (21), Kane (22) and Eriksen (23) providing the cliche-ridden reminder that if you’re good enough, you’re old enough.

While the future is bright, what of the short-term? What should Spurs target this season? The top four, certainly. Now in fifth, just two points separate them from Woolwich. With Chelsea adrift and Liverpool amid a chasing pack upon which Spurs have a three-point cushion, an inability to secure Champions League qualification this season would be seen as a failure. In that sense, they are the victims of their own success.

But, in this predictable season which sees Leicester top the table after 13 games, Jamie Vardy equalling Ruud van Nistelrooy’s records and the reigning champions suffering more league defeats than all but the bottom three, could – and whisper this quietly – Spurs sustain a title challenge?

Manchester United look only sporadically convincing, as do Manchester City, and their bitter North London rivals are undergoing their typical November collapse. Consistency could well be integral, and considering Spurs are on an unbeaten run at least twice as long as any other side (Leicester are on the second-longest with six games), Pochettino’s side could be in with a chance. The slimmest of chances is a chance, after all.

When asked whether Spurs could win the league this season after watching what he described as their best performance yet, Pochettino simply replied: “We’re a young squad.” You don’t win anything with kids, you see.

What is for certain is that Spurs are stronger, more resilient, more rounded and, consequently, better than perhaps all their predecessors in the Premier League era. Only Leicester and Manchester City have scored more league goals, while only Manchester United have conceded fewer; cue a heavy defeat to Chelsea next week.

As the saying goes: the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. And when those parts are this good, the sum simply gets better. Optimism – albeit characteristically cautious – is unavoidable.

Matt Stead

Back
Top Bottom