Building the best squad - and we need what?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It takes time to build a successful EPL team/squad and Angelos has come much further than most, if not all, had expected. But, of course, one should not sit back and enjoy those fast results but rather be fast to build on what's there already.
Remember that it took Arteta 3 seasons to get Woolwich to where they are now and almost getting sacked the summer before the 2022-23 season (when they made their break).
Man U has spent £££ and sacked many successful head-coaches/managers and are still no further than Spurs are right now.
So give Angelos some time and some slack. He and Spurs will come good...
Thus said, for starter I think the following players need to leave and joining.
PS! I know fully well that it is very hard to sell some of those players and that many on the incoming-list would be hard get for various reasons. And the list of incoming I don't want all of them of course.

OUTGOING

GK:

Alfie Whiteman
Hugo Lloris (Contract ends 2024)

Defense:
Ryan Sessegnon
Sergio Reguilon
Eric Dier (Contract ends 2024)
Joe Rodon
Japhet Tanganga
Emerson Royal (Only if "proper" replacement is signed)
Djed Spence (Unless he can prove he's EPL quality)

CMF:
Pierre-Emile Højbjerg (Only if "proper" replacement is signed)
Gio Lo Celso (Only if "proper" replacement is signed)
Tungay Ndombele

Forwards
Richarlison
Ivan Perišić (Contract ends 2024)

MAYBES:

GK:

Brendan Austin (contract ends 2024)

Defense:
Emerson Royal

Forwards
Troy Parrott
Bryan Gil

INCOMING

Goalkeepers

Giorgi Mamardashvili (Valencia)

Defenders
Samuel Iling-Junior (Juventus)
Dennis Cirkin (Sunderland)
Patrick Dorgu (Lecce)

Llyod Kelly (Bournmouth)
Arthur Theate (Bologna)

Zeno Debast (Anderlecht)

Michael Kayode (Fiortentina)

Midfield
Arthur Vermeeren (Antwerpen)
Jobe Bellingham (Sunderland)
Adam Wharton (Blackburn)
Marcus Edwards (Sporting)
Xavi Simons (PSV)

Forwards
Jamie Bynoe-Gittens (Bor. Dortmund)

Patrik Schick (Leverkusen)
Benjamin Šeško (RB Salzburg)
Victor Osimhen (Napoli)
Jonathan David (Lille)

Takefusa Kubo (Real Sociedad)
Johan Bakayoko (PSV)
Matìas Soulè (Juventus)
Luis Guilherme (Palmeiras)
What timescale is this transfer miracle intended to occur in? Because the above is about 3 years worth of deals. How long are you allowing for this rebuild?

What timescale is this transfer miracle intended to occur in? Because the above is about 3 years worth of deals. How long are you allowing for this rebuild?
Apart from Ndombele I reckon this could be done by the summer of 2024, and certainly by the summer of 2025.
Austin, Whitman, Lloris, Dier, Perisic will be out of contract this summer anyway, so that's 5 right there who would be leaving.
PS! No, I do not believe that all the targets I listed will necessary want to join Spurs but there are others who could do as well.

Atleast 1 cb. I'd say 1 ange cm I don't think skipp and hojbjerg are going to cut it there for him. Its difficult to say everything right now as we don't have a fully fit squad.

Anyone else thinking Kulusevski looking so good as an 8/10 complicates this question a bit?

I'd almost say that we are reaching the point where it's better to leave him centrally and sign another wide forward that can play LWF or RWF.

Also gives us more cash to drop on a 3rd CB.

Goalkeepers
Vicario
Forster

Right backs
Porro
Emerson

Left backs
Udogie
New

Centre Backs

VDV
Romero
New
Phillips - Dorrington - Vuskovic
Davies

Centre midfield
Bissouma
Sarr
Bentancur
New
Skipp

Attacking midfield Centre
Maddison
Kulusevski

Wide attackers
Son
Johnson
New
Solomon

Forwards
New

Richarlison

That's what i think we should be working on in the next 2 windows. People will probably say we can improve on Emerson with a more attacking right back but imo he is fine as a cover full back and other positions take priority.

Also if we sold Richie i wouldn't necessarily replace him with an out and out striker. I would bring in another wide forward type player (so 2 wide attackers instead of one) and consider Son the striker with 1 out and out striker signed.

I would actively look to sell/release the following:
Lloris
Dier
Sessegnon
N'dombele
Hojbjerg
Lo Celso
Gil
Perisic

and maybe Richy depending on how he does from now until the end of the season.

Goalkeepers
Vicario
Forster

Right backs
Porro
Emerson

Left backs
Udogie
New

Centre Backs

VDV
Romero
New
Phillips - Dorrington - Vuskovic
Davies

Centre midfield
Bissouma
Sarr
Bentancur
New
Skipp

Attacking midfield Centre
Maddison
Kulusevski

Wide attackers
Son
Johnson
New
Solomon

Forwards
New

Richarlison

That's what i think we should be working on in the next 2 windows. People will probably say we can improve on Emerson with a more attacking right back but imo he is fine as a cover full back and other positions take priority.

Also if we sold Richie i wouldn't necessarily replace him with an out and out striker. I would bring in another wide forward type player (so 2 wide attackers instead of one) and consider Son the striker with 1 out and out striker signed.

I would actively look to sell/release the following:
Lloris
Dier
Sessegnon
N'dombele
Hojbjerg
Lo Celso
Gil
Perisic

and maybe Richy depending on how he does from now until the end of the season.

This is very similar to where I'm seeing it shaping out as well.

GLC can't be ruled out of a CM spot as well considering how he has performed for this manager.

Do we need 3 AMC's?

This is very similar to where I'm seeing it shaping out as well.

GLC can't be ruled out of a CM spot as well considering how he has performed for this manager.

Do we need 3 AMC's?
hes done well but I see this as a perfect opportunity to get a decent fee tbh plus I think as a team we look more solid when playing a double pivot with 2 energetic cms.

hes done well but I see this as a perfect opportunity to get a decent fee tbh plus I think as a team we look more solid when playing a double pivot with 2 energetic cms.
Start of the season I would have agreed.

Not so sure now. We will probably be bringing young players in almost every other position. Having a guy in his prime, with that much experience and also good for the dressing room vibes with the Spanish speaking crew...

I doubt he goes in January and if he keeps playing like this he will be outside the budget of all the teams interested in him bar Villa and we don't want to sell to them.

The next 2-3 windows should be about building on what we have, and moving on those who surplus.

Our starting 11 when all fit is seriously talented. We need 3-4 additions to add to the depth, and be more than just rotation options. Centre back x 2, centre mid x 2, left winger and striker are all needed.

Needs (in descending order of importance)

CB
CF
CM/CAM
WF (perhaps for both sides)
LB cover

We should actively be looking to work on this in the next two windows. If we could sort two positions out in Jan that would be excellent, one would be fine (badly need CB cover).

DEFENSE
CB in January (Todibo hopefully) and him and davies can cover til summer. At that point Romero, VDV, (new CB), Phillips/Dorrington being phased in after a loan in Jan along with Davies should be good for next year.

LB cover is badly needed next year, but nothing right now pressing

MIDFIELD
CM in January (Gallagher, Redondo or Vermeeren), sell Hojbjerg. Should be set for the future with depth across all positions there.

FORWARDS
January - Get both Juve boys in ( Illing-Junior as a true touchline LW and Soule who can cover all of them along with being one of the best talents in Series A right now), move on Gil, Perisic and possibly upgrade on richy in the summer.

Was having a debate with a Dipper mate: Combined Spurs and Dippers 11.

I think they only get a shout in 2-3 positions and it won’t be 3 for long the way Vicario is going.

Allison, Trent, Salah.

Even then Tbh Porro is a better defender than Trent this season.

They get us on squad depth in a few places. Their 3rd Cb being Matip or Konate has us covered and their back up FB options or back up FW options. We can cover those differences in 2 windows 🪟

If we carry on the rate we are going since the last couple of years over the next couple of windows I expect us to build a team capable of mounting a title challenge, we are way ahead of schedule now thanks to the recruitment

In January I expect:

CB - Tobido/Dragusin?
LWF - Jota?
CM(?) Would be nice but I don't see anything happening until Lo Celso and Hojbjerg leave which would be extremely unlikely

Summer

Outs

Lloris - Gone
Dier - Gone
Hojbjerg - Gone
Lo Celso - Gone
Sessegnon - Gone
Rich - Gone
Gil - Gone
Peresic - Gone
Spence - Gone
Rodon - Gone
Reguilon - Gone
Tanganga - Gone
Ndombele - Fuck knows probably loan again

Ins

Another CB -Wharton/Brathwaite
RWF - Bakayoko?
ST - Giminez?
Two midfielders to replace Hoj and Lo Celso - Gallagher/Vermeeren?
RB/LB Cover - KWP

Al speculative of course, that squad is good enough to compete on all fronts and mount a title challenge

If we are building a squad to really compete we don’t need to be looking at back up players.

Every player we sign should be starting quality or young with potential to be.

Jan window for me would be:

Dragusin/Todibo

Bakayoko/Nusa

Wharton

Only 2 names on that list would be over 30m

Beginning to look a bit fucking tasty.

#Rebuild #2024/25

WWwpLb6.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom