Building the best squad - and we need what?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Beginning to look a bit fucking tasty.

#Rebuild #2024/25

WWwpLb6.jpeg

Did you watch England when Gary played Maddison at WLF? He is a creative attacking midfielder who can drop back in to get things started if need be. Absolutely wasted out there.

What's wrong with you people???

Seriously.
I think what is "wrong" with us is that we don't go a bundle on round pegs in square holes.

Although to be fair to you, if you take Ange's version of "Total Football" to the extreme a formation is a fluid as a swimming pool. Or idealogically, there's no such thing as a "formation". In whaich case just llist your best 10 footballers and your best keeper basically.

I think what is "wrong" with us is that we don't go a bundle on round pegs in square holes.

Although to be fair to you, if you take Ange's version of "Total Football" to the extreme a formation is a fluid as a swimming pool. Or idealogically, there's no such thing as a "formation". In whaich case just llist your best 10 footballers and your best keeper basically.
You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Please stop attempting to waste my time.

That goes for anyone else who wants to whine about things they can't grasp.

Looking at the current squad I don't think we are a million miles away from challenging.

If I look at the starting XI, and assume everyone is at peak performance, I think it's a good enough XI to compete for the title with the addition of an elite RW with a real goal threat.
Richy's form is undeniable at this point.

Make Werner permanent and bring in a Gallagher type to round out the squad, they would be our subs today instead of Gil and Skipp, for example.

Son -- Richy -- RW
Maddison -- Sarr
Bissouma
Udogie -- VDV -- Romero -- Porro
Vic
Subs:
Forster
Emerson
Dragusin
Bentancur
Bergvall
Gallagher
Werner

Johnson
Kulu

Can stick around but not match-day squad:
Skipp
Davies

Get rid:
PEH
GLC
Gil
Sess
Solomon

I return again to this thread. What we need is the best possible squad, and from that a best a strong 15 or 16 players. Wecare getting there.

I am disappointed and a bit surprised we have hit the buffers but neither have I thought at anytime that our midfield was strong enough or that our frontline of the necessary quality.

The pundits talk sh!t much of the time but for me we are battling for 4th. Get that and we have overachieved. 5th or 6th is par. Lower disappointing.

But it's a work in progress and we just need to get 2 or 3 of the right signings.

Back up GK

FB that can invert on either side, or another LB that can invert.

L8/10 type that pushes Maddison to start. Eze makes the most sense.

LWF

RWF

Those would be the burning priorities for me if we are serious about winning. I don't really get the burning need for a CB unless it's that Calafiori dude that can also play LB. Don't get the Gallagher thing either tbh.

Overall that is probably 200+ mil that needs to be spent. I'd be shocked if Levy is thinking of a budget anywhere north of 100m. Plus the LWF and 6 need to be players that push our wage structure imo. Genuine star players.

Back up GK

LWF

RWF

Those would be the burning priorities for me if we are serious about winning. I don't really get the burning need for a CB unless it's that Calafiori dude that can also play LB. Don't get the Gallagher thing either tbh.

Overall that is probably 200+ mil that needs to be spent. I'd be shocked if Levy is thinking of a budget anywhere north of 100m. Plus the LWF and 6 need to be players that push our wage structure imo. Genuine star players.
You’re not wrong, but I can’t see that much surgery being accomplished in one window unless we get the Don working on some deals of similar quality/value to Big Vic/Sarr/Udogie.

You’re not wrong, but I can’t see that much surgery being accomplished in one window unless we get the Don working on some deals of similar quality/value to Big Vic/Sarr/Udogie.

The other issue is we need to move out:

Probably Davies and/or Emerson
PEH
Skipp
Bissouma or Bentancur
Solomon

Then all the deadwood like Ndombele and the older loan guys like Rodon and Spence.

The other issue is we need to move out:

Probably Davies and/or Emerson
PEH
Skipp
Bissouma or Bentancur
Solomon

Then all the deadwood like Ndombele and the older loan guys like Rodon and Spence.
I wouldn’t have Bentancur in that list. He probably just needs more time after such a long layoff.

Solomon I’d be tempted to keep as a squad player as he’s not really had an opportunity.

Some like Hojbjerg/Bissouma/Rodon should be relatively easy to move and have value, but some of the deadwood like NDombele will just get perpetual loans until their contract expires.

Back up GK

LWF

RWF

Gallagher can suck a camel's dick, the Chav twat. But then so can Eze, Olise, Neto...and any other player with an injury record a la Sessegnon, no matter how excellent they may be when fit.

Apart from that, you're pretty much bang on, my friend.

But I really don't see Levy signing off on all them needs, let alone spend what's required. We'll get Werner cause he's cheap fee-wise. Couple loans from big overseas team perhaps. Maybe...maybe...a 40ish mil player, hoping he doesn't turn into a new Lo Celso/Domb/Sanchez. We'll be told to be patient, trust the process, something special is happening blah blah blah.

I love Ange's ambition, that he wants us to win big...but give him time and he'll realise where he's at. We haven't won squat in ages and the last thing we did was the shitty League Cup. When you tone down all the bullshit from the club's PR & the Supremo, really we're just aiming to be the best of the rest. And Levy ain't spending 200 or so mil for the usual P4-6 finish + early exits from cup comps.

That's the reality we live in and have been for decades, though some choose to believe it's gonna change. Despite Ange saying he's no magician, neither was Conte.

Back
Top Bottom