Building the best squad - and we need what?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I have put this under transfers but it would be better under a sub-topic of Squad.

This is a constant I feel, and largely irrespective of manager, because a squad always needs building. For now Postecoglou, so any thinking talks to players we think he would want.

It's therefore an open book for thoughts, justification and reasoning.

If we start with team, and not wishing to stifle Sarr's development, it would be midfielder. Johnson has just arrived, so let's see. Kukusevski could be bettered maybe but realisticallyI think we are a midfielder short, if we say Son can be that striker.

In terms of a squad, much easier. 2 midfielders, a striker, another centre back, probably a left back and a goalie. I say all this, for overall squad improvement. It would likely mean bye to Skipp, Hjojberg, Sessegnon, Davies, Richarlison.

As for who to try and bring in, I think Eze would be a definite for our midfield, and of course we await the return of Bentancur. Then to find the players for the identified areas.

I'd say we need more cover at CB. I don't like having to rely on Davies as a backup LCB. And I don't think we have anyone to cover Romero at RCB except Dier (?).

Ugh we are so thin there right now...

I would love to see us add a creative player whos a bit more flexible, so Eze would be perfect. Bonus points for being HG too.

I think depth for the 6 is crucial too. I don't think Sarr or Bentancur are 6s and I don't think Hojbjerg is press resistant enough (though I think he's the best suited for the 6 outside of Yves)

Left back and centre back depth also needed I'd argue.

But I also want us to fill that overall squad out with our best young players when they're not out on loan, I think it's important to have that pathway. Donley, Santiago, Phillips, Dorrington, Devine, Veliz etc.

How ruthless should we be, I assume 100% as we need to challenge with City.

If so.

Sell

Skipp
Hojbjerg
Lo Celso
Davies
Dier
Forster
Sessengnon
Richarlison?

Buy
Eze - brilliant and a Base agency player who will have 1 year left.

CB - I’d be fine with Kelly but wouldn’t hurt to go back for Tapsoba. Maybe Philips or one of the other young defenders can step up to be 4th choice but we need a 3rd choice

Left Back - need an Udogie back up/competition

Forward - I think we need to look at a truly elite forward but who fits the system so can play wide or central. Not sure who is available.

Promote Youth - we have a lot of talent at the moment and Ange apparently likes to use youth. Donley, Moore, Dorrington, Santiago, Sansoup-Bell etc. hopefully at least 1-2 make it.

In short ideally youth for depth and make 1-3 elite £50-100m type signings for pure quality.

Agree with Eze, or very similar. Essentially another Maddison type player.

Remember we will have Bent back soon also

Would love Perisic again, and I think we should be open to a number of old experienced players, who are happy to play from the bench and can see out games (Davies, Hojbjerg (?), Perisic). We should be open to replacing Perisic in that sense.

Then a top young CB.

Also need a better reserve GK IMO.

How ruthless should we be, I assume 100% as we need to challenge with City.

If so.

Sell

Skipp
Hojbjerg
Lo Celso
Davies
Dier
Forster
Sessengnon
Richarlison?

Buy
Eze - brilliant and a Base agency player who will have 1 year left.

CB - I’d be fine with Kelly but wouldn’t hurt to go back for Tapsoba. Maybe Philips or one of the other young defenders can step up to be 4th choice but we need a 3rd choice

Left Back - need an Udogie back up/competition

Forward - I think we need to look at a truly elite forward but who fits the system so can play wide or central. Not sure who is available.

Promote Youth - we have a lot of talent at the moment and Ange apparently likes to use youth. Donley, Moore, Dorrington, Santiago, Sansoup-Bell etc. hopefully at least 1-2 make it.

In short ideally youth for depth and make 1-3 elite £50-100m type signings for pure quality.
If they are happy, I'd keep Davies, Hojbjerg , and Richie. Agree, sell the others.

Out:
  • Forster
  • Davies
  • Dier
  • Sessegnon
  • Hojbjerg
  • Lo Celso
  • Perisic
  • Reguilon
  • Rodon
  • Spence
In:
  • Eze
  • Gallagher (think he can play the Sarr role well)
  • CB
  • Backup LB who fits our style
  • Backup keeper who can play from the back
  • Best forward you can get

Get another quick tricky winger (Jota perfect) and repurpose Kulu to a number 10 and that's madissons backup sorted and a winger more suited to angeball sorted.

Sell Skipp and Hojberg and get another number 8 or 6 in whose suited to Angeball. Reo Hatate or callum mcgregor would be a good additions and cheap.

Just need a LB and CB and we are sorted, sell Dier and Davies. Dare I say it but even give Reguilon and Ndombele a shot once they return from their loans

The biggest concerns should be the biggest drop offs if we have players missing. I would probably go in this order at the moment.

One of the centre backs
Maddison
Bissouma
Son (as centre forward)

CB seems a no brainer and one we were after in summer.
Eze seems good as Maddison cover as would also play alongside and strengthen the 1st eleven. Gives plenty of variety in the midfield as well. HG so can look to move on Sess / Skipp if needed. Issue is City are sniffing.
Think we should be working the scouting magic to find a young 6 type player.
Hopes for Veliz, Richarlison I am not sure will cut it. Would have this as a priority for summer

All of this is based on what we have seen now, could be some surprises over the next few months.

Get another quick tricky winger (Jota perfect) and repurpose Kulu to a number 10 and that's madissons backup sorted and a winger more suited to angeball sorted.

Sell Skipp and Hojberg and get another number 8 or 6 in whose suited to Angeball. Reo Hatate or callum mcgregor would be a good additions and cheap.

Just need a LB and CB and we are sorted, sell Dier and Davies. Dare I say it but even give Reguilon and Ndombele a shot once they return from their loans

I think I might disown Tottenham if Ndombele ever played for us again. Absolute shocker.

Maddison done more in 6 games than Ndombele in 4 seasons.

Reguillon not good enough.

Last edited:
It is surprising how many players are being "sold", we will need 2 players for every position if we want to challenge and get into Europe this season.
January will not be massive but we need to sign another centre back and Toney or Orban or both. Bess will come into the midfield and our cover in other positions isn't too bad.
For every one that we sign, we need to drop one from the 25. Obviously Dier and Lloris could leave, which would free up the slots.

The biggest concerns should be the biggest drop offs if we have players missing. I would probably go in this order at the moment.

One of the centre backs
Maddison
Bissouma
Son (as centre forward)

CB seems a no brainer and one we were after in summer.
Eze seems good as Maddison cover as would also play alongside and strengthen the 1st eleven. Gives plenty of variety in the midfield as well. HG so can look to move on Sess / Skipp if needed. Issue is City are sniffing.
Think we should be working the scouting magic to find a young 6 type player.
Hopes for Veliz, Richarlison I am not sure will cut it. Would have this as a priority for summer

All of this is based on what we have seen now, could be some surprises over the next few months.

Good post. Agree.

Really need to hope Richarlison finds some degree of form (not confident) and that we avoid injury.

Bentancur returning at a good level would be a huge bonus. Hjojberg can do a job to an extent. Not sure Skipp is getting back but we shall see.

It is surprising how many players are being "sold", we will need 2 players for every position if we want to challenge and get into Europe this season.
January will not be massive but we need to sign another centre back and Toney or Orban or both. Bess will come into the midfield and our cover in other positions isn't too bad.
For every one that we sign, we need to drop one from the 25. Obviously Dier and Lloris could leave, which would free up the slots.

Unless Woolwich get Jesus or Nketiah or Havertz scoring, I think they will go in for Toney, which might be to our advantage in the long run.

I say that be ause whilst he is a good player I don't see him getting better.

We nerd a striker and just hope we are scouring like mad.

Unless Woolwich get Jesus or Nketiah or Havertz scoring, I think they will go in for Toney, which might be to our advantage in the long run.

I say that be ause whilst he is a good player I don't see him getting better.

We nerd a striker and just hope we are scouring like mad.
Strangely I think Poch might buy Toney, if he is still there !!
Apparently Barca are following Orban so if we want him, sign him in Jan.

Back
Top Bottom