Building the best squad - and we need what?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

new GK (lloris, forster, austin)
new CB (dier, rodon, tanganga)
new LB (reguilon, sessegnon)
new CM (hojbjerg, ndombele, lo celso)

So, areas we need to work on are:

CB
3rd choice CB
Maybe a back up LB for Udogie

CM
Shift Lo Celso and bring Eze or similar as competition and cover for Maddison.

Shift Hojberg and bring competition/cover for Bissouma at the 6.

Forwards
Son stays #9 and we look for an elite, goal scoring, franchise LWF.

This depends on Gil and Johnson and which side Ange sees them.

I was pretty intrigued by the late links to challobah. Good player, HG and can play across the backline and even the 6 I believe. We’re not buying 4-6 players in the January window, so this would be an astute pickup. Chelsea probably need to sell and their project isn’t exactly going to plan.

OUT:
(Either in the January window or the summer window)

Hugo Lloris
Brendan Austin
Alfie Whiteman

Ryan Sessegnon
Sergio Reguilon
Eric Dier
Japhet Tanganga
Joe Rodon

Pierre Højbjerg
Tungay Ndombele
Gio Lo Celso

Ivan Perišić

Maybe out:
Emerson Royal or Djed Spence
Troy Parrott
Bryan Gil
Richarlison

IN:
(This list is very "tentative " since there are still many "equations" to consider here)

Giorgi Mamardashvili (I doubt he'll come if he's 2nd choice, though)

Dennis Cirkin (or Valentín Barco as 1 of the alternatives)
Lloyd Kelly or Arthur Theate
Zeno Debast (I doubt he'll come if he's 3nd choice, though)

Arthur Vermeeren
Marcus Edwards

Benjamin Šeško or Jonathan David (depending on how well Alejo Véliz, Richarlison, Son plays)
Takefusa Kubo

Prospects
Jack Wylie (Rangers)
Christian McFarland (NY FC)
Tyler Dibling (Soton)
Roony Bardghji (København)

Last edited:
I think I might disown Tottenham if Ndombele ever played for us again. Absolute shocker.

Maddison done more in 6 games than Ndombele in 4 seasons.

Reguillon not good enough.
Blows my mind how both Reguilon and Ndombele (again) have fallen upwards into the Champions League. Sonny/Cuti/Lolo etc. must be pulling their hair out.

Good thread. Brought into sharp focus since the Chelsea debacle. I say ‘debacle’ as it was a sudden and unforeseen collapse in-game and after.

While we (most of us anyway) were enjoying the giddy heights of being top and unbeaten we (most of us anyway) knew it couldn’t be sustained. What none of us foresaw (the fans, players and manager I’m sure - maybe not Levy and the various DoF who should’ve planned for it) was the devestating effect of injuries and suspensions to vital players.

Sessegnon, Perisic and Solomon already missing from the left side. The VDV chasm now created. Romero for 3 games. A half fit Udogie suspended for 1. Maddison - the key to the way we’ve been playing - out until the NY. Richarleson’s ongoing ‘issues’ etc. who knows what the international break will throw up??

Davies, Dier, PEH and Royal are quite obviously not good enough to play the way the manager wants. I’ve a feeling after Wolves (another debacle) that Ange might be tempted to give Philips, Dorrington et al more of a go. However, considering the squad as a whole I’d say in order of pressing need:

CB - pref left sided or with the ability to play both sides (should’ve got Kelly when we had the chance - go back in January for him)
GK - back up to Vicario
CF - pref with PL pedigree (I know, rare as rocking horse shit)
CAM - back up to Maddison and cover for AFCON
LB - cover for Udogie

Unrealistic to bring in 5 in the TW. 3 is a must!
Think we’d listen to offers for Dier, PEH & Richarlison. Levy must know this is as good a chance of European football next season as we’ll get. We MUST strengthen as soon as we can I.e first week of January not the 31st!

The manager knows his first XI but will be tearing his hair out with the weakness of the squad as a whole - a perennial Tottenham issue. For this we know where the blame lies but pointless keep wittering on about it.

Let’s see if the club has the bollocks to back the man….

Good thread. Brought into sharp focus since the Chelsea debacle. I say ‘debacle’ as it was a sudden and unforeseen collapse in-game and after.

While we (most of us anyway) were enjoying the giddy heights of being top and unbeaten we (most of us anyway) knew it couldn’t be sustained. What none of us foresaw (the fans, players and manager I’m sure - maybe not Levy and the various DoF who should’ve planned for it) was the devestating effect of injuries and suspensions to vital players.

Sessegnon, Perisic and Solomon already missing from the left side. The VDV chasm now created. Romero for 3 games. A half fit Udogie suspended for 1. Maddison - the key to the way we’ve been playing - out until the NY. Richarleson’s ongoing ‘issues’ etc. who knows what the international break will throw up??

Davies, Dier, PEH and Royal are quite obviously not good enough to play the way the manager wants. I’ve a feeling after Wolves (another debacle) that Ange might be tempted to give Philips, Dorrington et al more of a go. However, considering the squad as a whole I’d say in order of pressing need:

CB - pref left sided or with the ability to play both sides (should’ve got Kelly when we had the chance - go back in January for him)
GK - back up to Vicario
CF - pref with PL pedigree (I know, rare as rocking horse shit)
CAM - back up to Maddison and cover for AFCON
LB - cover for Udogie

Unrealistic to bring in 5 in the TW. 3 is a must!
Think we’d listen to offers for Dier, PEH & Richarlison. Levy must know this is as good a chance of European football next season as we’ll get. We MUST strengthen as soon as we can I.e first week of January not the 31st!

The manager knows his first XI but will be tearing his hair out with the weakness of the squad as a whole - a perennial Tottenham issue. For this we know where the blame lies but pointless keep wittering on about it.

Let’s see if the club has the bollocks to back the man….
Harsh for me to put Royal in the same bracket as Davies, Dier, Sessegnon, Skipp, PEH, Richarlison who all needs to leave, with the other obvious ones.

Think Royal is a fine backup to Porro, and not to the left back.
However I don't think he is happy being a backup, which is why he might leave in the summer.

For january we absolutely need a CB and a forward in some type then reasses in the summer.

It will be interesting to see what we do in attack and the Son situation.

However in pretty confident in Munn, Lange, Mckenzie & Leth with the Don behind the scenes.

But will Levy give them the keys is another question. Because we will need them by january.

Priority for me in January is a left back capable of playing the inverted role we play as we only have udogie who can do this and obviously a new CB or 2.
I wouldn’t personally go for a midfielder in January as others behave said I wouldn’t want to stifle Sarr and the pathways of Devine and Donelly.
If we can get the left back and CB issues sorted in January?? In the summer we still need a CF CM, 2nd keeper and possibly even a RB

Phillips and Dorrington played together against 'men' in the cup last weekend. If you're in any doubt about their ability to step into the premier league, I urge you to watch this game to see just how far away they are.

Devine to cover Maddison would be a marvelous outcome but still, league one? Hmmm.....

Centre back is number one priority. We should be getting one in before, ready to be registered as soon as possible.

I'd probably shift Lo Celso on and get a proper midfielder who can create. But someone who can at times also play in the same team as Maddison.

Not even 10% of the below will happen in January but, what we need is:

OUT

• Don't tell me there's zero way to struck a deal with relics like Hugo or Ivan for them to go back home or one last juicy contract in US/Saudi

• Austin, Whiteman, Sess, Tangs - can't be that pricey to release them surely

• I get that Royal, Dombs, Hojbjerg, Lo Celso & Richy can't be given free transfers and that it's not financially viable either to realease them, plus why would they agree to leave seen their humongous Spurs wages? But all except the blob still have enough pedigree to generate decent offers from Spain, Italy, Germany surely? But of course if our chairman thinks he's gonna recoup his money, well...

• Leeds would defo buy Rodon for 5 mil, same as a team at the bottom of the PL or near the top of the Champo would give us a few mil for Dier. As for Reguilon, 5 to 10 mil and he's back in Spain.

Not saying it's an easy task, but that's why our directors get paid so handsomely. The fact our deadwood list is still sooooo long in Nov 2023 proves they aren't doing a good enough job. Period.

Back
Top Bottom