Building the best squad - and we need what?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Out of all of the players that we should be ruthless with and let go, and there are a fair few still, Ben Davies isn't one of them imo.

He's been a great servant to this club, a consummate professional and can competently back up 2 positions at LB and CB. Of course he's only ever going to be backup now, maybe even 3rd choice in those positions ideally but if he's happy to stick around, if it was up to me I'd keep him in the squad for sure.

In terms of where we need to add - CB, AM, LB and CF. I agree with others as well, we've got some great prospects in the academy, we need to give them a pathway to getting their chance in the first team.

To me as it stands Ange has it all to prove. His record in other leagues stands for nothing. He needs to show innovation, bravery, smartness , flexibility , braveness, etc in how he manages the team and how we play. We are too easy to defend against and too easy to attack. He has to show more than words about challenging for the title next season. Any Tom dick and harry can say that ffs!

Gallagher can suck a camel's dick, the Chav twat. But then so can Eze, Olise, Neto...and any other player with an injury record a la Sessegnon, no matter how excellent they may be when fit.

Apart from that, you're pretty much bang on, my friend.

But I really don't see Levy signing off on all them needs, let alone spend what's required. We'll get Werner cause he's cheap fee-wise. Couple loans from big overseas team perhaps. Maybe...maybe...a 40ish mil player, hoping he doesn't turn into a new Lo Celso/Domb/Sanchez. We'll be told to be patient, trust the process, something special is happening blah blah blah.

I love Ange's ambition, that he wants us to win big...but give him time and he'll realise where he's at. We haven't won squat in ages and the last thing we did was the shitty League Cup. When you tone down all the bullshit from the club's PR & the Supremo, really we're just aiming to be the best of the rest. And Levy ain't spending 200 or so mil for the usual P4-6 finish + early exits from cup comps.

That's the reality we live in and have been for decades, though some choose to believe it's gonna change. Despite Ange saying he's no magician, neither was Conte.

Fully agree.

The hope and ambition this club has sold to build it's equity portfolio..... is a fucking scam.

Our model is very simple:

How much can we achieve whilst operating as a business and only as a business?
How can we keep the customers loyal and extract the most value out of them as possible in the process?

It's no different to any other business except the CEO of the company likes to sell dreams and say shit like "We all want to win trophies". He knows his model isn't built to win trophies. If it randomly achieves a trophy or 2 then great but the model comes first.

Get another quick tricky winger (Jota perfect) and repurpose Kulu to a number 10 and that's madissons backup sorted and a winger more suited to angeball sorted.

Sell Skipp and Hojberg and get another number 8 or 6 in whose suited to Angeball. Reo Hatate or callum mcgregor would be a good additions and cheap.

Just need a LB and CB and we are sorted, sell Dier and Davies. Dare I say it but even give Reguilon and Ndombele a shot once they return from their loans

I think I might disown Tottenham if Ndombele ever played for us again. Absolute shocker.

Maddison done more in 6 games than Ndombele in 4 seasons.

Reguillon not good enough.

Last edited:
And about Dier, I said it doesn't matter what it'd cost ie just pay whatever it takes to get rid asap.

But cheers.
Ok sweetie, you're really not very good at this.
Let me explain in simple terms that I hope you can understand, seeing as you know how contracts work ;

You've literally just said the same thing as previously.
You can't just "pay whatever it takes" if the player doesn't agree with it.
He's quite entitled, although it's unethical and immoral, to stay at the club and draw his wage.

Unless if course you're suggesting that we give him £20m to bugger off, and even then the player still has to agree to it.

Now you can come back and say "b....b...but I didn't mean it like that" or "my point was...." in a lame attempt to deflect from your as actual words.

I'm done, Pal.

Just a quick re-cap:

Dejan Kulusevski's loan move was made permanent in the summer for a reported £25m

Pedro Porro's loan move was made permanent in the summer for a reported £40m

Guglielmo Vicario signed for a reported £17.1m

Micky van de Ven signed for a reported £43m

James Maddison signed for a reported £40m

Alejo Veliz signed for a reported £13m

Ashley Phillips signed for a reported £2m

Brennan Johnson signed for a reported £45m

Kane £86.4m, Winks £10m and Sanchez £8.1m left the club (reported)

Last edited:
We need two centre backs as cover, a left back as cover. And at least one other creative player in the Maddison mould. Plus a back up for Son.
That's quite a lot and probably at least two more windows whichever way you slice it.

Not bragging, but within my first week as Tottenham’s new head coach on FM, I managed to sell Hojbjerg to Lille, Richarlison to Porto, Lo Celso to Milan and...swear that's true...Emerson + Dier + Skippy to Liverpool.

Over to you, Ange.

Bit passive aggressive no?’
If you want to have a pop at me or take the piss, by all means quote me.

But tbh I prefer chopping it up with Steve because it’s clear we are both trolling each other. I’m not convinced you are able to tell the difference when people are taking the piss.

It wasn’t aimed at you ya absolute spanner.

It’s hard to tell the difference with you because on one hand you have reasonable views and then a second later you’ll be talking absolute crap about covid or the lefty corporate media or how everything is against us.

Vicario
GK
Porro
Royal
Romero
Van De Ven
CB
CB
Udogie
Sessegnon
Bentancur
Bissouma
Sarr
CM
Skipp
Maddison
AM
Kulusevski
Johnson
LWF
FWD

I make it 7 players away from an ideal squad. Seeing as we were 7 players away from an ideal starting XI 12 months ago I'd say we have made great overall progress in getting there

How ruthless should we be, I assume 100% as we need to challenge with City.

If so.

Sell

Skipp
Hojbjerg
Lo Celso
Davies
Dier
Forster
Sessengnon
Richarlison?

Buy
Eze - brilliant and a Base agency player who will have 1 year left.

CB - I’d be fine with Kelly but wouldn’t hurt to go back for Tapsoba. Maybe Philips or one of the other young defenders can step up to be 4th choice but we need a 3rd choice

Left Back - need an Udogie back up/competition

Forward - I think we need to look at a truly elite forward but who fits the system so can play wide or central. Not sure who is available.

Promote Youth - we have a lot of talent at the moment and Ange apparently likes to use youth. Donley, Moore, Dorrington, Santiago, Sansoup-Bell etc. hopefully at least 1-2 make it.

In short ideally youth for depth and make 1-3 elite £50-100m type signings for pure quality.

Back
Top Bottom