Building the best squad - and we need what?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Vicario
GK
Porro
Royal
Romero
Van De Ven
CB
CB
Udogie
Sessegnon
Bentancur
Bissouma
Sarr
CM
Skipp
Maddison
AM
Kulusevski
Johnson
LWF
FWD

I make it 7 players away from an ideal squad. Seeing as we were 7 players away from an ideal starting XI 12 months ago I'd say we have made great overall progress in getting there

Player joins when they start playing for the club. Porro was our player from January.
Nope, he was only became a Tottenham Hotspur Football Club player once the permanent contract was signed and registered with the authorities.

Before that he was registered as a Sporting player on loan at THFC.

This is the FA rules not mine.

Nope, he was only became a Tottenham Hotspur Football Club player once the permanent contract was signed and registered with the authorities.

Before that he was registered as a Sporting player on loan at THFC.

This is the FA rules not mine.

Became a Spurs player when Spurs committed to paying Sporting for his contract.

Spurs didn't have a choice to buy him from that point on. It was an obligation.

Became a Spurs player when Spurs committed to paying Sporting for his contract.

Spurs didn't have a choice to buy him from that point on. It was an obligation.
He was registered as a Sporting player on loan to us, until his permanent contract was signed and he became registered as a TFHC player.

Take it up with the FA and UEFA.

He was registered as a Sporting player on loan to us, until his permanent contract was signed and he became registered as a TFHC player.

Obligation to buy = commitment to buy. That is when the transfer happens.

I don't have any issue with the FA or UEFA allowing Spurs to register the transfer in a different way as an accounting decision.

Obligation to buy = commitment to buy. That is when the transfer happens.

I don't have any issue with the FA or UEFA allowing Spurs to register the transfer in a different way as an accounting decision.

This thread fuck me!
thread wtf japan GIF

I'm counting when the price is agreed, the commitment is made, and the player is transferred to the new club.

The thing is, we paid a loan fee for both of those players. £12m for Kulusevski and £5m for Porro. Although these figures, as are transfer figures, are 'reported'.

That cost seems to be wavered if a club signs a player permanently after a loan spell.

Obligation to buy is also a reported contract clause. We simply don't know. Kulu wasn't an obligation for some yet was for others that claim ITK

I dunno mate, for me it seems off to count a transfer until it actually happens, regardless of any background noise

The thing is, we paid a loan fee for both of those players. £12m for Kulusevski and £5m for Porro. Although these figures, as are transfer figures, are 'reported'.

That cost seems to be wavered if a club signs a player permanently after a loan spell.

Obligation to buy is also a reported contract clause. We simply don't know. Kulu wasn't an obligation for some yet was for others that claim ITK

I dunno mate, for me it seems off to count a transfer until it actually happens, regardless of any background noise

Kulu is a grey area because it was a conditional obligation.

The Porro transfer happened in January. We committed to it in January and had no option but to make the transfer from January. The rest is an accounting wrinkle. The accounting wrinkle is the background noise.

We should buy Dominic Solanke.

He's good but we'd be signing him as a squad option.

Don't think we are the kind of club that can ever afford to do that if we want to be ambitious.

We need to balance the books so selling important players is always going to be part of the deal. With that in mind, every player we sign should be with the goal of them being a star for us sooner or later. If the odd one ends up a Ben Davies or an Emerson Royal that can be versatile pro's that do a few jobs in the squad, then great.

What Richard Arlison Richard Arlison refuses to accept is that there is no such thing as an "obligation" to buy in real life.

With Kulu we had an "obligation" with conditions.
Which is not an "obligation".

If Porro had suffered a career ending injury whilst on loan with us in 2022, we most certainly would not have paid Sporting €40m for him in 2023.

Last edited:
What Richard Arlison Richard Arlison refuses to accept is that there is no such thing as an "obligation" to buy in real life.

With Kulu we had an "obligation" with conditions.
Which is not an "obligation".

If Porro had suffered a career ending injury whilst on loan with us in 2022, we most certainly would not have paid Sporting €40m for him in 2023.

So if we decide we don't want to pay in full for Porro we can just send him back?

Don't know the conditions of the contract but I doubt it.

You know the contract allows us to break it or has an escape clause?

So if we decide we don't want to pay in full for Porro we can just send him back?
Not once the permanent contract has been signed, no.

If he had a career ending injury whilst on loan, yes.
Don't know the conditions of the contract but I doubt it.

You know the contract allows us to break it or has an escape clause?
All contracts have an escape clause, that's how contracts work.

That is why FA, UEFA, FIFA and anybody with a brain, only counts the permanent transfer fee from when the permanent transfer contract is signed and lodged with the relevant authorities and not from when a player joins on loan.

Not once the permanent contract has been signed, no.

If he had a career ending injury whilst on loan, yes.

All contracts have an escape clause, that's how contracts work.

That is why FA, UEFA, FIFA and anybody with a brain, only counts the permanent transfer fee from when the permanent transfer contract is signed and lodged with the relevant authorities and not from when a player joins on loan.

You have proof that the loan with obligation has an escape clause?

(how long have I been wanting to ask one of you pillocks for proof :levylol: )

Vicario
GK
Porro
Royal
Romero
Van De Ven
CB
CB
Udogie
Sessegnon
Bentancur
Bissouma
Sarr
CM
Skipp
Maddison
AM
Kulusevski
Johnson
LWF
FWD

I make it 7 players away from an ideal squad. Seeing as we were 7 players away from an ideal starting XI 12 months ago I'd say we have made great overall progress in getting there

7 players in 2 windows is doable for next season.

But you never get a perfect squad and don't really want one either. Should always have 1-2 spots that you are looking to improve to keep your squad on their toes.

Back
Top Bottom