Building the best squad - and we need what?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You have proof that the loan with obligation has an escape clause?

(how long have I been wanting to ask one of you pillocks for proof :levylol: )
Yes I do.

That is why FA, UEFA, FIFA and anybody with a brain, only counts the permanent transfer fee from when the permanent transfer contract is signed and lodged with the relevant authorities and not from when a player joins on loan.

This debate still going on

Bored Season 5 GIF by The Office

Vicario
GK
Porro
Royal
Romero
Van De Ven
CB
CB
Udogie
Sessegnon
Bentancur
Bissouma
Sarr
CM
Skipp
Maddison
AM
Kulusevski
Johnson
LWF
FWD

I make it 7 players away from an ideal squad. Seeing as we were 7 players away from an ideal starting XI 12 months ago I'd say we have made great overall progress in getting there
In my books, as of right now ie considering bigger needs elsewhere, big Frase and big Ben aren't the worst options to have on the bench...proper pros, hard workers who always give you 💯. And yeah, HG if I'm not mistaken.

We must do better than Emerson as cover to Porro. Love the kid's endeavor but he just ain't good enough. I wouldn't even have him at Burnley if I was Kompany.

Sessegnon is just a joke. Can't stay fit and can't stop acting a deer in the headlights whenever he does play. Get rid asafp.

Must be nice to have two quality HG lads in the middle of the park...say what Skippy?

Kulu should be a backup really...to someone with proper pace, who can shoot and who's got more than one sorry trick.

Solomon (when fit) or Gil need to be given a proper chance to show they can cover for/challenge Brennan. If not up to it, then get another exciting HG lad in.

You forgot Sonny up front. Veliz too raw to be his wingman. Richy is well...Richy, 🇧🇷 's no 9 and all that.

Kiddos-wise: Ashley, Dorrie, Jamie D, Moore...even Devine when he gets back...all need some more EFL experience on loan. Gotta play big man footy week in week out.

* We will never sign all them players we (desperately) need in January or even across Jan + next summer's windows. Just won't happen...or we'll get quantity over quality. Not when we still have Hugo, Dier, Sess, Perisic, Dombs, Tangs, Skippy, Hoj, GLC, Spence, Rodon etc etc on the books.

If you proved me wrong then by that logic I've just proved you wrong.

Thanks for playing.
Nope,

Because, unlike me, you haven't provided a direct quote from a link that contradicts what I'm saying.

Your claim;
Yes, they absolutely have counted them several times.

Your link ;

What your link actually said ;

"he's spent £190m worth of signings in two windows and that doesn't include Kulusevski who's still on loan technically."
You lose willy wonka GIF

In all seriousness, I think we're boring the tits off everyone now, so let's leave it there.
Enjoyed the banter with you as always.
:angehug:

Nope,

Because, unlike me, you haven't provided a direct quote from a link that contradicts what I'm saying.

Your claim;

Your link ;

What your link actually said ;

You lose willy wonka GIF

In all seriousness, I think we're boring the tits off everyone now, so let's leave it there.
Enjoyed the banter with you as always.
:angehug:

Where is your link to loan to obligations have a break clause?

He's good but we'd be signing him as a squad option.

Don't think we are the kind of club that can ever afford to do that if we want to be ambitious.

We need to balance the books so selling important players is always going to be part of the deal. With that in mind, every player we sign should be with the goal of them being a star for us sooner or later. If the odd one ends up a Ben Davies or an Emerson Royal that can be versatile pro's that do a few jobs in the squad, then great.
Yeah I get 100% what your saying regarding buying a squad option but I think the CF is the one position where you are a squad player but still get good playing time Son is of an age where he's not going to be able to do it for 90 minutes every week especially considering the amount of pressing.

Solanke is physically very good he works hard and is a gueninly a good football player, good touch decent dribbler etc. a good finisher especially in them pull back scenarios.

His career is on a good trajectory similar to how Watkins and Toney were albeit he's playing for Bournemouth where his numbers might not seem great.

Saw this stat the other day but was before Brentford dropped in bottom half of table

View: https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1723422076545999008

More pertinent than an isolated January transfer window.

Squad needs building-up.

Striker is obvious. Painfully so. Midfield we need 2. Defence, we need 2 players.

And even with those additions, you still cannot easily escape the utter bo!!ocks of the type that we have seen in the last 3 weeks or so. All after we had already lost Perisic and Solomon.

I refer back to this again because we need to think amd focus on long term additions, more than anything.

And additions in areas of weakness and not just just for short term cover unless it's a loan..

We have to have and believe in a progressive approach, and not be in any way forced into going back to the old and failed model..

I just hope we have identified targets ready to be tempted in January.

It takes time to build a successful EPL team/squad and Angelos has come much further than most, if not all, had expected. But, of course, one should not sit back and enjoy those fast results but rather be fast to build on what's there already.
Remember that it took Arteta 3 seasons to get Woolwich to where they are now and almost getting sacked the summer before the 2022-23 season (when they made their break).
Man U has spent £££ and sacked many successful head-coaches/managers and are still no further than Spurs are right now.
So give Angelos some time and some slack. He and Spurs will come good...
Thus said, for starter I think the following players need to leave and joining.
PS! I know fully well that it is very hard to sell some of those players and that many on the incoming-list would be hard get for various reasons. And the list of incoming I don't want all of them of course.

OUTGOING

GK:

Alfie Whiteman
Hugo Lloris (Contract ends 2024)

Defense:
Ryan Sessegnon
Sergio Reguilon
Eric Dier (Contract ends 2024)
Joe Rodon
Japhet Tanganga
Emerson Royal (Only if "proper" replacement is signed)
Djed Spence (Unless he can prove he's EPL quality)

CMF:
Pierre-Emile Højbjerg (Only if "proper" replacement is signed)
Gio Lo Celso (Only if "proper" replacement is signed)
Tungay Ndombele

Forwards
Richarlison
Ivan Perišić (Contract ends 2024)

MAYBES:

GK:

Brendan Austin (contract ends 2024)

Defense:
Emerson Royal

Forwards
Troy Parrott
Bryan Gil