Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are totally right man. We obviously need MS after these displays so far this season.

We desperately need MS plus someone to replace Lloris too.

It will cost a bit, but thats where the sensible money has to go.

:crouch:
That is a silly argument.

Sure things are going well against shitty sides. We have a lot of MF's, but MS could walk into the team and be the best one. It's nice to have depth but eventually you have to address quality. Go ahead and bank on Pauli or Dembele to figure it out though.

Obviously we have other areas to fill, but if Poch wants him this badly, I think that says something about his quality and fit into the squad.

That is a silly argument.

Sure things are going well against shitty sides. We have a lot of MF's, but MS could walk into the team and be the best one. It's nice to have depth but eventually you have to address quality. Go ahead and bank on Pauli or Dembele to figure it out though.

Obviously we have other areas to fill, but if Poch wants him this badly, I think that says something about his quality and fit into the squad.

The bolded part is laughable....where did you hear that? Or do you watch Southampton every week instead of Spurs?

He's played at Anfield already this season and looked utterly shit.

As for "Poch wants him badly", I could say the same for Welbeck and Song....

but if Poch wants him this badly, I think that says something about his quality and fit into the squad.

Poch wanting him badly = words from ITK. Not from Poch himself.

If anything we are playing hardball with Southampton with Townsend. We are not exactly doing everything in our power to make it happen and grease wheels.

I'm sure Poch admires MS. but him wanting a DM is paper talk.

Can I ask how you know this?

Koeman, who is still hopeful of adding to his squad before Monday's deadline, believes that a reported move for Atletico Madrid defender Toby Alderweireld is "not realistic", but he remains keen on Tottenham winger Andros Townsend.

"It's difficult because it's [Townsend] one of the players on our list. It's very difficult but I don't expect good news on that," he said.

Joe. How can you spend so much time in these threads and not actually read anything? I swear you just come on here for the member soap opera aspect.

Koeman, who is still hopeful of adding to his squad before Monday's deadline, believes that a reported move for Atletico Madrid defender Toby Alderweireld is "not realistic", but he remains keen on Tottenham winger Andros Townsend.

"It's difficult because it's [Townsend] one of the players on our list. It's very difficult but I don't expect good news on that," he said.

Joe. How can you spend so much time in these threads and not actually read anything? I swear you just gone on here for the member soap opera aspect.
There was no need for that last bit, it was a civil question. I am aware of what Koeman has said, again he's hardly going to say anything else, my point was how do you know the mindset and intentions of Levy and the board? - not what Southampton's manager said to a newspaper.

gibbs131 You dismiss Deuce Deuce 's opinion as paper talk, but when I ask you a reasonable question, you use paper talk to answer a different question to the one I asked. I'll forego the insult as I've had a go at you before so that's ok. But as you've declined to answer an awkward question, I'll ask you again - How do you know the intentions and mindset of Levy and the board? If you refuse to answer I'll conclude that you don't - if that's ok. How can I talk about football with you if refuse to engage?

Football question: How many of last night's starting line up will start against 'pool. I say Lloris and Kaboul. What say you?

Direct quote from manager regarding Townsend being a difficult transfer is not paper talk.

But I know fellah. You really really want serious discussion.

Do me a favor. Haha. Save your faux indignation seriuz speak and just call me a cunt like you always do eh?
Indignation? No, curiosity - which you've now satisfied. I asked you two questions - neither of which you've answered, so I must assume that, outside of your narrow agenda, your football knowledge is worryingly restricted. Insults I can take all day long - football evangelists on a mission to create the largest football team the world has ever seen, are another thing altogether.

Last edited:
I don't know how anyone could watch yesterday's performance and think that Schneiderlin wouldn't massively improve us. When we had possession it was slow and ponderous AVB football all over again. That wasn't a tactical thing because we produced our two goals from open play due to Pochettino's high press and in fairness also Limassol being well below our level. The real reason we looked so slow moving the ball is because our three in the center are a problem. Dembele and Sandro are both so slow on the ball and Paulinho is incredibly wasteful in possession.

At this point in time I don't know how you can look at Bentaleb and Capoue and not see them as a class above our other options. Capoue's passing makes Sandro look like a limited player like Palacios. Don't get me wrong, Sandro's still a solid tackler of the ball (though I maintain he looks 10-15 pounds overweight) but Pochettino clearly wants more complete players who can contribute to the game in all facets. The modern game on a whole dictates the importance of a variety of skills in a player. For me, Sandro and Dembele are much too one-dimensional and when they play together it is tough for us to develop any fluidity in the side. Both are very solid backups but I can't see them ever filling long term important roles in a successful Pochettino side.

Schneiderlin is a better and significantly more versatile player than Dembele, Sandro, and Paulinho and it isn't particularly close. It's not a buy buy buy thing but rather a necessity to shake up center midfield that has been well below average since Modric's departure. Just like with our back line, quantity does not equal quality. Pochettino saw that and we've added a whole new backline despite only being really thin at left back. It looks like he's seen it with our center midfield and thus Schneiderlin has been our most ever present and seemingly most coveted target. It's nice to have an adult with a football brain running the team again, addressing our needs in a calm and rational fashion.

Last edited:
I don't know how anyone could watch yesterday's performance and think that Schneiderlin wouldn't massively improve us. When we had possession it was slow and ponderous AVB football all over again. That wasn't a tactical thing because we produced our two goals from open play due to Pochettino's high press and in fairness also Limassol being well below our level. The real reason we looked so slow moving the ball is because our three in the center are a problem. Dembele and Sandro are both so slow on the ball and Paulinho is incredibly wasteful in possession.

At this point in time I don't know how you can't look at Bentaleb and Capoue and not see them as a class above our other options. Capoue's passing makes Sandro look like a limited player like Palacios. Don't get me wrong, Sandro's still a solid tackler of the ball (though I maintain he looks 10-15 pounds overweight) but Pochettino clearly wants more complete players who can contribute to the game in all facets. The modern game on a whole dictates the importance of a variety of skills in a player. For me, Sandro and Dembele are much too one-dimensional and when they play together it is tough for us to develop any fluidity in the side. Both are very solid backups but I can't see them ever filling long term important roles in a successful Pochettino side.

Schneiderlin is a better and significantly more versatile player than Dembele, Sandro, and Paulinho and it isn't particularly close. It's not a buy buy buy thing but rather a necessity to shake up center midfield that has been well below average since Modric's departure. Just like with our back line, quantity does not equal quality. Pochettino saw that and we've added a whole new backline despite only being really thin at left back. It looks like he's seen it with our center midfield and thus Schneiderlin has been our most ever present and seemingly most coveted target. It's nice to have an adult with a football brain running the team again, addressing our needs in a calm and rational fashion.

Our central midfielders pretty much killed everyone in sight.

The problem was Lennon and Townsend derping around.

The are supposed to be the creative, gung ho players.

And what exactly do you think MS is going to bring? He's a DM.

Our centeeal midfielders pretty much killed everyone in sight.

The problem was Lennon and Townsend derping around.

The are supposed to be the creative players.
There was no one in sight. JDK JDK is spot on - I agree with everything he said. You must take the quality of the opposition into account. Hugo was in a deckchair.

I'm not too worried because only Lloris and Kaboul will start against LFC. But last night's team was the reserves, and it showed. Full credit to Poch for establishing his 'first team' so quickly. Amazing really.

Last edited:
There was no one in sight. JDK JDK is spot on - I agree with everything he said. You must take the quality of the opposition into account. Hugo was in a deckchair.

Thanks to who? The midfield.

You take that level of protection for granted. Dembele and Sandro made it look easy. And that level of competence should not be ignored like it's a given.

We did just win comfortably right?

Complaining about that midfield performance? I'm out. Night crew are just....blows my mind.

Paulinho, Dembele, sandro etc having great games just isn't registering because of some deep seated MS bias.

WE SLAUGHTERED THEM IN MIDFIELD.

SLAUGHTERED THEM.

Haha. Night fellahs.

We did just win comfortably right?

Complaining about that midfield performance? I'm out. Night crew are just....blows my mind.

Paulinho, Dembele, sandro etc having great games just isn't registering because of some deep seated MS bias.

WE SLAUGHTERED THEM IN MIDFIELD.

SLAUGHTERED THEM.

Haha. Night fellahs.
As you'd expect playing that standard of opposition. Jesus, you don't even make allowances for that - how can you expect to be taken seriously?

Ha ha the Night Crew is in your head, they're all gone now, CJJ, that nasty cahspur, all gone. You don't need to sleep with the light on anymore. Sweet dreams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom