Woolwich v Tottenham Hotspur - September 1st 2019 16-30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch is becoming extremely predictable, if I was emery I would be licking my lips.

Hopefully Poch actually throws a curve ball and sets us up to counter. If we try and dominate possession and impose ourselves on this woolwich team we will get murdered on the break.

A lot of it depends on the fitness of Ndombele and Dele for me. If those two are fit enough to start then I will feel much better. I think Ndombele more than Dele to be honest.

Either way I am extremely worried about us, first real doubts I’ve had about Poch since he came to us.

The common phenomena of casting Ndombele as a game-changer before he's actually established himself as one worries me....

As if things weren't already bleak enough - there's also bad news on the injury front.

Looks like Rob Holding won't make it back in time for this game. Gutted.

Fair enough, but he’s the only midfielder we have that can see a decent forward pass so. . .

Not my intention to hold you to task over it; I just thinking it's an unfortunate position to find ourselves in...

If we'd have started the season off with a little more cohesion (i.e. Eriksen, Vert, Dele), Ndombele and GLC could have enjoyed a little more time to bed in without the pressure of making a difference straight off the bat.

Last edited:
As much as we all hate to admit it, they have a scary looking attack. Add that to our clusterfuck of a defense right now and I'm worried about the weekend.

Clusterfuck of a defense that has allowed 4 goals in 3 games including 2 @ City?

No one is calling our D a clusterfuck if attacking players did their job yesterday and scored at least 3 goals

Clusterfuck of a defense that has allowed 4 goals in 3 games including 2 @ City?

No one is calling our D a clusterfuck if attacking players did their job yesterday and scored at least 3 goals

They may have earned a more forgiving appraisal as the goal conceded wouldn't have mattered, but whilst the D had their moments against City, no department is covering itself with glory right now.

The D is certainly not a force to be reckoned with like it used to be. We've been all over the place and against two relegation fodder teams.

They may have earned a more forgiving appraisal as the goal conceded wouldn't have mattered, but whilst the D had their moments against City, no department is covering itself with glory right now.

Of course not, but everyone is feeling better about the team if we do Newcastle 4-1 yesterday.

You take the point from City and run.

Now, we're looking at tables like this...

Of course not, but everyone is feeling better about the team if we do Newcastle 4-1 yesterday.

Brutal!:dierno:

(....Aye; that's the irony here. 7 points would have been a sweet start to the season and we could have carried on laughing at Ole without inner conflict.)

Last edited:
The D is certainly not a force to be reckoned with like it used to be. We've been all over the place and against two relegation fodder teams.

Agreed, but like my post above, if the attack shows up and we win 4-1 like we should have, everyone is feeling much better.

We're saying our D is leaky and needs to tighten up which to be honest you feel fine about because this foursome hasn't had a lot of playing time together.

Our slow starts and awful attacking football are making other aspects of the squad worse than they are.

The real issue is we continue to struggle against teams that park the bus. The number of teams that will probably park the bus against us is probably 15. Of those 15 teams, 10-12 are squads we should be beating with ease.

Agreed, but like my post above, if the attack shows up and we win 4-1 like we should have, everyone is feeling much better.

We're saying our D is leaky and needs to tighten up which to be honest you feel fine about because this foursome hasn't had a lot of playing time together.

Our slow starts and awful attacking football are making other aspects of the squad worse than they are.

The real issue is we continue to struggle against teams that park the bus. The number of teams that will probably park the bus against us is probably 15. Of those 15 teams, 10-12 are squads we should be beating with ease.

Another sick irony.... Struggling to score, yet bag 2 against 'Europes finest' at home. :sherwoodwtf:

You're not wrong about the offense. But letting two goals in by teams that have 10 men behind the ball is damn near inexcusable. Those 2 goals we let in by City should have been 4 or 5.

I stand by my clusterfuck statement.

Weird isn't it.

Because if you do take a table from a specific date, in this case 15 games ago, its focused on once we lose to Newcastle.

Yet if we beat Newcastle, no on cares, no one bats an eyelid yet the table would still make grim reading.

You're only as good as your last game. We could have smashed Newcastle 7-0 yesterday and someone would just be waiting to criticise the moment we lost our next game.

I just see it as a sign of how far we've come.

Last edited:
396bwf.jpg

Last edited:
You're not wrong about the offense. But letting two goals in by teams that have 10 men behind the ball is damn near inexcusable. Those 2 goals we let in by City should have been 4 or 5.

I stand by my clusterfuck statement.

I mean it doesn't really matter how many City should've had. They're City. Probably the most all around talented team in the world. You can't expect to suffocate their attack for 90 mins.

Did we play well that match? Absolutely not, but found away to only concede 2 goals at home while finding a way to score 2 of our own.

I mean it doesn't really matter how many City should've had. They're City. Probably the most all around talented team in the world. You can't expect to suffocate their attack for 90 mins.

Did we play well that match? Absolutely not, but found away to only concede 2 goals at home while finding a way to score 2 of our own.
Like you said regarding the City, we take the point and run.

Weird isn't it.

Because if you do take a table from a specific date, in this case 15 games ago, its focused on once we lose to Newcastle.

Yet if we beat Newcastle, no on cares, no one bats an eyelid yet the table would still make grim reading.

You're only as good as your last game. We could have smashed Newcastle 7-0 yesterday and someone would just be waiting to criticise the moment we lost our next game.

I just see it as a sign of how far we've come.
No It's not weird, we have been talking about our poor form since last season, the excuse was CL distractions. But we still not playing well. No body would have cared about the table if we were playing well in the first 3 matches, even if we had lost to city but beaten newcastle and on 6 points. This would have meant we have turned the corner but we haven't and this is a continuation from last season.

Play well and lose happens but play poorly and loose attracts criticism.

Back
Top Bottom