What generation Tottenham are you?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

1st gen.

Dad didn't follow football at all. He'd played Union at decent club level. During the 30's in his teens the Goons would have been the club to follow and if he'd supported anyone it would have been them. And he was in the Artillery in WWII so gunners and all that. During his wartime when in the UK I think he'd go down to Portsmouth and watch some Pompey with his Navy mates.

On the day of the '67 final aged 8 I decided to support Spurs (the name, and also everyone else in Bromley that day seemed to be a Chav). I didn't watch it, not even sure I knew the result. I went out with some school mates and kicked a ball around in the reccy with pitches.

By 1969 I was tribal, remembering the day of the 0-5 at Derby.

!970 and being able to watch Motd. The team with Peters and Chivers was the first one I knew.

First game went to away at Palace (the local team) 1972 NYD 1-1 Chivers free kick. 1st match ever was Palace v Spam 1970, Spam had Moore Hurst and Greaves.

Been going to matches regularly since then, sometimes as ST, now as member. 3 kids, all Spurs. One of them lives Newcastle so my grandson will prob grow up a Barcode with Spurs as 2nd team.

Palace were my 2nd team when I lived in Bromley. When I moved away I stopped bothering. Live Brighton now but can't get enthused with them, Awful strip, like a Tesco bag. Like their football though.

Will be there for AC Milan next week.

1st gen, as is my wife.

We are Yanks, but started supporting Spurs independently of each other before we met, and oddly it didn't actually have that much to do with us getting together. I picked Spurs to support after the 2014 World Cup, for a lot of reasons that are probably similar to other Americans (it isn't a bandwagon pick, to dare is to do, Shakespeare is cool, etc.).

My wife had been a tepid Pompey fan on a whim and eventually migrated her support over to Spurs due to Harry and the other players that moved over (Defoe + Crouch + Kaboul + Kranjcar), especially once Portsmouth was relegated. She has also been a big Croatia fan (the country in general), so the Croatian contingent of the early 2010s sealed it.

I was always an enormous sports fan, but hadn't been much of a soccer/football fan before that. I now probably spend more time thinking about Spurs than I do any of the American sports teams that I grew up with (even though I still watch all of them, too), and soccer is arguably now my favorite sport. I certainly don't have a seat from any other team's stadium displayed on a case on the wall like I do WHL.

Really enjoyed reading all of your connections to Tottenham.

I'm a first-gen supporter living in Australia who stumbled upon Spurs in 2006. Grew up on cricket and rugby via my dad and played lots of footy as a kid, but not a sporty family by any means.

Berbs and his languid brilliance was definitely part of the initial appeal, and I loved the atmosphere of White Hart Lane (albeit through the telly), so I stuck around. There was something very exciting and temperamental about the team, young and explosive yet teetering on the verge of collapse, which married up to my own cavalier journey through uni. By the time Redknapp came in, I was completely hooked.

I never made it to WHL but I'm excited to see the team play at home when I'm next in Europe. Hopefully by that stage Poch is back and the team has a stronger sense of chemistry and solidarity to it again.

2nd generation.

My grandad was West Ham, lived in manor park most of his life. In the late 60s, he took my dad to a Spurs game, I think it was a European game, and my dad was hooked from then on, home and away through the 70s and 80s.

I was born in London but we moved when I was young. My first game was Norwich away in the late 80s but I was too young to really remember it. My first proper game was in 1994, whl, 4-3 loss to Villa.

My daughter isn't bothered about football, obviously smarter than me!

Some great stories in this thread, thank you all for sharing.

My mum had an uncle from Hackney who used to watch Spurs and Woolwich!
His main team was Spurs in 1961, my mum followed him and I was born a Spurs fan who lived in a seaside town where most of my mates were Manu!
I have three sons, all Spurs and their partners and kids. I reckon I have condemned at least 15 people with the curse of following Spurs!!

My mum had an uncle from Hackney who used to watch Spurs and Woolwich!
In the days of terraces and turn up on the day with your thruppence ha'penny it wasn't uncommon. I even knew a guy who used to do this as late as the 1980's. A guy I knew from East Anglia would go to both Ipswich and Narch, presumably deck his tractor out in different colours every weekend. On the South Coast you'd find peeps going to Saints and Pompey. Presume you'd go to the home end for derbies.

Imagine ditto Liv-Everton, Sheff Weds-Utd.

Back
Top Bottom