What generation Tottenham are you?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Went to my first game on Boxing Day 1962 as a 7 year old, beat Ipswich 5-0. it snowed on Christmas Eve and was the start of the Arctic winter of 63. Got the train from Cambridge Heath and from Bruce Grove, got my first sight of the colossal floodlight pylons highlighting the falling snow on a grey day.
Walked up the steps in the Paxton, saw a white pitch with the lines swept and an orange ball. I stood at the top of the stars and physically could not move. It was like Narnia, a magical place.
I saw Sir Jim get a hat trick and men in white shirts pass to men in white shirts. It was poetic, the roar of the crowd, the smells of matchday and a programme.
Got the train home in a trance in time to watch Dr. Who do battle with the Daleks. I had no fear of them now.
I had an army.

Since that far off day the needle has been in the vein, and whilst our relationship has been occasionally abusive, I cannot bear to leave them.

Soul of a poet, me.

First gen.
Dad was a Gooner but most of his family were from Cricklewood and QPR fans. Mum's side were East Enders so there were a few Hammers fans there.

When the old man was posted to Hong Kong in Feb 1968 one of his mates told me and my brother we should support Spurs as they were the cup holders so we did.

I actually saw Hertha Berlin play (1971 vs Man City) before i saw Spurs in Aug 1972. We won 2-1 vs Coventry (Martin Peters x2). The following week he took my to see Woolwich and even at that tender age I just knew it was not for me. Didn't feel right.

Been home and away over land and sea with different regularity ever since. As disillusioned as I am now l, I'll always be Spurs. TTID.

Firstly Eli , what a great thread, I've enjoyed reading everyone's story (I'm so nosy!).
As I may have mentioned before, dad was Chavs, I watched '67 Cup Final with him, and because we won, declared myself a Spurs fan. Went to my first game in 1969 and have been hooked since.
I don't have children, but persuaded sister, brother, nephew, cousins, their kids and various friends to be Yids. They probably curse me for inflicting this on them. But I think it's character building, you can't be a wuss supporting Spurs.
There are times that I wished I'd taking up knitting or tiddlywinks instead of Spurs (especially after Wednesday night), but I can't imagine that I will ever give it up while I'm still able to afford it. TTID

1st gen for me. My old man hated football, mum's a glory hunting Liverpool fan (from the East End - the shame of it).

I started supporting Spurs in 80/81 season. I got one of those league wall charts where you'd move the teams up and down each week after the results. I saw the name 'Tottenham Hotspur,' and it just stuck with me - I thought it was the most magical name for a football team.

My only football influence really was from my uncle, who's a gooner - but to be fair to him, he never tried to sway me. In fact he even took me to my first Spurs match in 1987 when I was twelve. I've never had so many butterflies in my stomach as that day getting to go to White Hart Lane. The memory will stay with me forever.

Second , my dad ( god bless his soul ) took me to see his beloved Spurs in 1961 , when I was 7 . Been hooked ever since . All my kids and grandchildren have followed suit . Spurs will always be very special to me

Obviously first. I got used to be laughed at when people ask who do I support. Gloryhunters everywhere. In my 15+ years of being a Spurs fan I never met one. Imagine how sad that is😭😂
That’s why I like TFC forum and podcast. Have a feeling of being more connected.

Second, my old man was born in '55 and played as a goalkeeper growing up. Started following Spurs in the mid to late sixties from Australia because he loved Pat Jennings. Bit harder to keep up from afar in those days, then passed it on to me the twisted bastard.

Last edited:
I've been interested in Spurs since 1982.
Blame it on Glenn Hoddle!
Instead of finding a way out, I'm even more entangled because of you rabbit brains!

Many thanks for that!
tottenham hotspur GIF

Dad was glaswegian of irish parents ..came down to london with his brother for work in the early 50s..both catholic mad celtic fans and pissheads..
Settled with my mum in hoxton / bethnal green..he took me and my brothers to spurs one week and them cunts down the road the next & sometimes over the orient ..saturdays then was albout the match
..all 4 boys became yids without much pressure..my first game was in 1968 v burnley .
Last game was v hitler youth last week.

In between i dare say myself and those who know me personelly on here of my generation together could spend quite a few hours reliving expieriences good, bad and ugly following this lifelong passion thats called thfc.

My lad is a yid too but his passion is not as strong and has more pressing leisure interests elsewhere..
2 brothers spread over the world,one in south africa..one in u.s...if you watch the paddy power football ads with peter crouch my eldest brother is the actor with the flat cap and jack russel dog.

Last edited:
Went to my first game on Boxing Day 1962 as a 7 year old, beat Ipswich 5-0. it snowed on Christmas Eve and was the start of the Arctic winter of 63. Got the train from Cambridge Heath and from Bruce Grove, got my first sight of the colossal floodlight pylons highlighting the falling snow on a grey day.
Walked up the steps in the Paxton, saw a white pitch with the lines swept and an orange ball. I stood at the top of the stars and physically could not move. It was like Narnia, a magical place.
I saw Sir Jim get a hat trick and men in white shirts pass to men in white shirts. It was poetic, the roar of the crowd, the smells of matchday and a programme.
Got the train home in a trance in time to watch Dr. Who do battle with the Daleks. I had no fear of them now.
I had an army.

Since that far off day the needle has been in the vein, and whilst our relationship has been occasionally abusive, I cannot bear to leave them.

Soul of a poet, me.
Wonderful . reading that gave me goosebumps. Thank you

1st gen.

Dad didn't follow football at all. He'd played Union at decent club level. During the 30's in his teens the Goons would have been the club to follow and if he'd supported anyone it would have been them. And he was in the Artillery in WWII so gunners and all that. During his wartime when in the UK I think he'd go down to Portsmouth and watch some Pompey with his Navy mates.

On the day of the '67 final aged 8 I decided to support Spurs (the name, and also everyone else in Bromley that day seemed to be a Chav). I didn't watch it, not even sure I knew the result. I went out with some school mates and kicked a ball around in the reccy with pitches.

By 1969 I was tribal, remembering the day of the 0-5 at Derby.

!970 and being able to watch Motd. The team with Peters and Chivers was the first one I knew.

First game went to away at Palace (the local team) 1972 NYD 1-1 Chivers free kick. 1st match ever was Palace v Spam 1970, Spam had Moore Hurst and Greaves.

Been going to matches regularly since then, sometimes as ST, now as member. 3 kids, all Spurs. One of them lives Newcastle so my grandson will prob grow up a Barcode with Spurs as 2nd team.

Palace were my 2nd team when I lived in Bromley. When I moved away I stopped bothering. Live Brighton now but can't get enthused with them, Awful strip, like a Tesco bag. Like their football though.

Will be there for AC Milan next week.

Every generation back to 1930s .
Our time as being best in the land early mid sixties, fancy cup swagger fops record FA cup winners, first Euro Brit winners , double etc,
is truly over since the frugal business philosophy Sugar/Levy/Lewis years.
Lucky l have daughters who have a glancing passion for Spurs for their old man's sake . The pain is not passed on as joy is fruitless.
The club will be a Mecca for tourist fans , multi sports and entertainment but unfortunately not Spurs in years to come.
You have to have ownership that targets success on the pitch first and is capable, we don't.

First. I only knew one of my grandfathers (my dad's dad died in 1930) and his only interest in football seemed to be writing down the results on his pools coupon at 17:00 on Saturdays (he never won, although my dad won £103 6s in 1947, which was 6-12 months of his then wages - I still have the Vernon's certificte). This was probably fortunate for me as he was born in Stratford and would probably have been either a Spammer or a Leyton Orient supporter.

My dad showed little interest in football (again lucky for me because he was born in Ilford and would have been a Spammer), although in 1969 he did take me to my first ever match on a double-decker bus organised by his mates at work, a factory in Basildon that relocated from Ilford (another hive of Spam and Orient support) in about 1953. The match happened to be Spurs v West Ham (we won 1-0, Greaves scoring the only goal). I think I had already chosen Spurs in around 1967 though as I vaguely remember the cup final and my mum had already got me Frank Saul's autograph (she knew him somehow) while he was still at Spurs.

Both of my sons are Spurs season ticket holders (they both keep telling me they wish they had been born in Barcelona or Madrid) and my twin granddaughters went to their first Spurs matches this season. They got scarves at the matches (not half and halfs) so they are now officially Spurs for ever, whether they like it or not. One of them recenty said " I don't think I like Spurs daddy" during a match, but none of us do most of the time anyway, so that's not a problem.

COYS!

First. Didn’t realise my Dad liked Man City until I was already fully committed and signed up as Spurs. FFS. I could have enjoyed multiple trophies, league titles and cups… but no.

And now my kids and other family members, in-laws home and abroad all support Spurs.

I’ll probably be sent to The Hague for spreading such misery and suffering.

:conteshock:

I am Danish and I was born 1961 (my bio here is 10 years off) and I had the good fortune to be able to watch the English First Division as it was then called on national Danish television every Saturday afternoon, beginning around 1970. Spurs became my favorite team for reasons unbeknownst to me - when you're 8-9 years old, choices are not very rational, but I think it had to do with the name Tottenham which sounds a little funny and is easy to remember. The heroes were Pat Jennings, Martin Peters and Martin Chivers.

I had an army.

Soul of a poet, me.
Season 1 Episode 6 GIF by America's Got Talent

Grandfather was trained in Chatham Dockyard in 1950-51 complimentary of the British government. They’d take the Sunday train to KC and then attend one of Woolwich/Spurs and sometimes others. Spurs were flying high so they went to the Lane more often than to other grounds.

Ten years later Spurs did a grand tour here, my grandad pulled strings with the workers’ federation so my dad could be the ball boy.

Twenty years later I was knocking the new coloured television trying to get good signal from the Jordanian channels were illegally pirating to see Waddle on the flank.

Three years from now I hope I’ll take my firstborn to the bricklayers

Back
Top Bottom