What generation Tottenham are you?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Your great grandfather had the flat cap in the halcyon days of the trams, your grandad watched Greaves, MacKay & Blanchflower or your old man got hooked in the 80s and you followed on with the suffering😢…..who’s coming behind you, your son, daughter grandchildren…….it’s bound to get better for them

surely.."………

Every generation back to 1930s .
Our time as being best in the land early mid sixties, fancy cup swagger fops record FA cup winners, first Euro Brit winners , double etc,
is truly over since the frugal business philosophy Sugar/Levy/Lewis years.
Lucky l have daughters who have a glancing passion for Spurs for their old man's sake . The pain is not passed on as joy is fruitless.
The club will be a Mecca for tourist fans , multi sports and entertainment but unfortunately not Spurs in years to come.
You have to have ownership that targets success on the pitch first and is capable, we don't.

Grandfather was trained in Chatham Dockyard in 1950-51 complimentary of the British government. They’d take the Sunday train to KC and then attend one of Woolwich/Spurs and sometimes others. Spurs were flying high so they went to the Lane more often than to other grounds.

Ten years later Spurs did a grand tour here, my grandad pulled strings with the workers’ federation so my dad could be the ball boy.

Twenty years later I was knocking the new coloured television trying to get good signal from the Jordanian channels were illegally pirating to see Waddle on the flank.

Three years from now I hope I’ll take my firstborn to the bricklayers

Grandad was QPR growing up living close to the White City, Mum had a soft spot for Spurs.

Grandad always wanted me to be QPR, my unofficial fourth/fifth team these days.

Now my son and nephews all get to enjoy our trophyless existence as Spurs fans. I tell them it’s good food for the soul. And on the bright side you could all be QPR fans.

In 1945 my 7 year old dad was sent to a foster home in love lane Tottenham -that sealed his, mine and my 2 sons fate . Because of the hooliganism in the 70’s my dad wouldn’t take me to the lane so my first visit was with a mate from school in April 77 just before my 13th birthday - both of my adult sons along with me have been season tickets since the move to Wembley - no grand kids yet to pass on the dreaded curse of being a spurs fan!!

Irish spurs fan. As a seven yo started following spurs in 87.should have known at that age what disapointment i was in for.
Older brothers were utd and dippers. I Wanted to be different ha

First.

Dad: West Ham, nearly ended up playing for them, played for the East London boys team alongside Harry Redknapp but got a very bad injury and that was that, couldn’t turn pro, I never got an ounce of his talent unfortunately, got my mums two left feet. He is more of an England fan than West Ham though.

Mum: from Liverpool, all that side of the family bar my grandad (Everton) where LFC fans. Nightmare after the CL final.

I was born in Enfield hospital and lived in Tottenham till I was 5 before moving to Barking. The name, area and the fact we had Gazza stuck in my head.

Could have easily been a Liverpool fan (and I would have had genuine reason unlike most southern Liverpool fans) and had all the glory. Equally I could have been a Spam fan and had a toilet for a stadium. Tottenham is the middle ground, the purgatory option if the others are heaven or hell.

Last edited:
My Dad started going in 1935. My 1st game was October 1958, at age of 10. Been to almost every home game since, until this season, when i gave up my 2 season tickets. My 2 sons, and all my nephews have been raised as Spurs!

Your great grandfather had the flat cap in the halcyon days of the trams, your grandad watched Greaves, MacKay & Blanchflower or your old man got hooked in the 80s and you followed on with the suffering😢…..who’s coming behind you, your son, daughter grandchildren…….it’s bound to get better for them

Son of Italian/Irish immigrants + they didn’t follow football.Born in South London but Spurs chose me in the early 70s.Both my daughters are Tottenham 💙💙
As an aside the rest of my Irish side settled in Basildon + they + their kids are all Yids!
So Tottenham have kept the family close + we meet up every home game 🇮🇱

surely.."………

First. Started supporting around 1974 as i met Phil Beal at a school prize giving and had more Tottenham football cards than any other team. That was it, pretty flimsy reasons really . My brother started supporting Woolwich because he liked their badge. My dad was Man Utd and saw their last game at Highbury pre Munich. My grandad was Pompey and i saw my first game at Fratton Park.

Dad is spurs but that side of the family was from the east end and was Millwall (granddad was a docker) mum side all from north London Edmonton etc.

First

Mum and Dad , no interest in football.

Older brother was West Ham, really a Martin Peters fan.
When the swap deal was done in 1970 with Greaves he switched to Spurs.

My first game to go to was in 1977.
2 nil up, drew 2 all.

Saw relegation and cup wins.

I have been supporting spurs since 1970 so I would like to think I have more knowledge and history of spurs than many of you. I hate the moaning I see on here as I have seen some of the worst periods. We have a cracking team and we are lucky with some of the players we have. Some of thd younger lot are really spoilt here. Yes we are a massive club but I see progress in this squad. It is getting stronger every year.

My grandad was a regular and he said he used to go with his dad when he was a kid so I’m assuming he was a fan as well. So that takes us back to the turn of the 20th century and maybe further. All from Tottenham, including my old man (who fell out of love for the game when cable took over and doesn’t really talk about it these days).

The first game I saw was around 1979 and I don’t recall much about it except not being able to see a thing and being quite bored.

First. I only knew one of my grandfathers (my dad's dad died in 1930) and his only interest in football seemed to be writing down the results on his pools coupon at 17:00 on Saturdays (he never won, although my dad won £103 6s in 1947, which was 6-12 months of his then wages - I still have the Vernon's certificte). This was probably fortunate for me as he was born in Stratford and would probably have been either a Spammer or a Leyton Orient supporter.

My dad showed little interest in football (again lucky for me because he was born in Ilford and would have been a Spammer), although in 1969 he did take me to my first ever match on a double-decker bus organised by his mates at work, a factory in Basildon that relocated from Ilford (another hive of Spam and Orient support) in about 1953. The match happened to be Spurs v West Ham (we won 1-0, Greaves scoring the only goal). I think I had already chosen Spurs in around 1967 though as I vaguely remember the cup final and my mum had already got me Frank Saul's autograph (she knew him somehow) while he was still at Spurs.

Both of my sons are Spurs season ticket holders (they both keep telling me they wish they had been born in Barcelona or Madrid) and my twin granddaughters went to their first Spurs matches this season. They got scarves at the matches (not half and halfs) so they are now officially Spurs for ever, whether they like it or not. One of them recenty said " I don't think I like Spurs daddy" during a match, but none of us do most of the time anyway, so that's not a problem.

COYS!

My dad when he was 3 was brought along by his grandma (my great grandma) to see the trophy parade in 1961.

I was born in spitting distance of WHL, and my entire family on both my Mum and Dad’s sides all support Spurs, apart from 1 uncle who supports the Gooners, but we won’t talk about that 😂

Back
Top Bottom