What generation Tottenham are you?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In the days of terraces and turn up on the day with your thruppence ha'penny it wasn't uncommon. I even knew a guy who used to do this as late as the 1980's. A guy I knew from East Anglia would go to both Ipswich and Narch, presumably deck his tractor out in different colours every weekend. On the South Coast you'd find peeps going to Saints and Pompey. Presume you'd go to the home end for derbies.

Imagine ditto Liv-Everton, Sheff Weds-Utd.

As a young teenager a group of us went on rotation to spurs, woolwich, and West Ham this was in the late 80s. We avoided Chelsea though. Hardly anyone supported them back then.

We all supported different clubs - even had a coupe of Everton fans in the group - but it meant we could go as 6 or 7 + of us.

Pay on the day, get to the terraces for about2pm to find a spot… crazy to think about now when you roll in 1 minute before kick off.

In the days of terraces and turn up on the day with your thruppence ha'penny it wasn't uncommon. I even knew a guy who used to do this as late as the 1980's. A guy I knew from East Anglia would go to both Ipswich and Narch, presumably deck his tractor out in different colours every weekend. On the South Coast you'd find peeps going to Saints and Pompey. Presume you'd go to the home end for derbies.

Imagine ditto Liv-Everton, Sheff Weds-Utd.
And of course it was what football should be about, "Entertainment" for the working class on their day off.

First gen.
Dad was a Gooner but most of his family were from Cricklewood and QPR fans. Mum's side were East Enders so there were a few Hammers fans there.

When the old man was posted to Hong Kong in Feb 1968 one of his mates told me and my brother we should support Spurs as they were the cup holders so we did.

I actually saw Hertha Berlin play (1971 vs Man City) before i saw Spurs in Aug 1972. We won 2-1 vs Coventry (Martin Peters x2). The following week he took my to see Woolwich and even at that tender age I just knew it was not for me. Didn't feel right.

Been home and away over land and sea with different regularity ever since. As disillusioned as I am now l, I'll always be Spurs. TTID.

Second, my old man was born in '55 and played as a goalkeeper growing up. Started following Spurs in the mid to late sixties from Australia because he loved Pat Jennings. Bit harder to keep up from afar in those days, then passed it on to me the twisted bastard.

Last edited:
that's interesting mate, were you always gonna go to a Spurs game or was it just pure luck that fixture suited etc?

As in could we have easily lost you to Arse/Chelsea etc?

I was in London with friends and we went to several games around All Saints day. We went to West Ham too (against Bolton). But the Lane was the Lane and I really fell in love.

Firstly Eli , what a great thread, I've enjoyed reading everyone's story (I'm so nosy!).
As I may have mentioned before, dad was Chavs, I watched '67 Cup Final with him, and because we won, declared myself a Spurs fan. Went to my first game in 1969 and have been hooked since.
I don't have children, but persuaded sister, brother, nephew, cousins, their kids and various friends to be Yids. They probably curse me for inflicting this on them. But I think it's character building, you can't be a wuss supporting Spurs.
There are times that I wished I'd taking up knitting or tiddlywinks instead of Spurs (especially after Wednesday night), but I can't imagine that I will ever give it up while I'm still able to afford it. TTID
5906-B743-5809-445-D-9761-A93-F6-CA25914.gif

ps Yorkshire puddings are still…..overrated

1st gen, as is my wife.

We are Yanks, but started supporting Spurs independently of each other before we met, and oddly it didn't actually have that much to do with us getting together. I picked Spurs to support after the 2014 World Cup, for a lot of reasons that are probably similar to other Americans (it isn't a bandwagon pick, to dare is to do, Shakespeare is cool, etc.).

My wife had been a tepid Pompey fan on a whim and eventually migrated her support over to Spurs due to Harry and the other players that moved over (Defoe + Crouch + Kaboul + Kranjcar), especially once Portsmouth was relegated. She has also been a big Croatia fan (the country in general), so the Croatian contingent of the early 2010s sealed it.

I was always an enormous sports fan, but hadn't been much of a soccer/football fan before that. I now probably spend more time thinking about Spurs than I do any of the American sports teams that I grew up with (even though I still watch all of them, too), and soccer is arguably now my favorite sport. I certainly don't have a seat from any other team's stadium displayed on a case on the wall like I do WHL.
Good man , nice to have the support from our American friends , keep up the good work !

One thing my dad always moans about modern football (apart from the cost and Sky TV) is it being all-ticket, where it's all got to be done way in advance. Even though he used to go to most home games, he never had a season ticket. Him and his mates would decide on the day to go or not (mostly they'd go). Obviously, they didn't live far away.

Also told me that for the cup final replay against Man City, he had a spare ticket and couldn't give it away, everyone he knew who wanted one had one. So he took one of his younger brothers to the game and it was the first game he ever saw, Ricky Villa and all that. And my dad reckons it might be the only game his brother ever went to. Not a bad one to get haha.

Apparently, for some away games, he used to get on a coach from The Palmerston Arms pub (or might be The Lord Palmerston, I can't remember) in Walthamstow. They (not my dad) used to call themselves the Parmy Army and were a load of nutters, so it goes. The old man reckons it was safer going to places like Anfield with this lot! He never got involved in any fighting himself, but was glad he was with plenty of people who could handle it!

Seems like a different planet and to be honest, I'm quite jealous of that time to be a fan on the terraces. I know it wasn't all roses, but the feeling of belonging, community, and not just being a customer for some big corporate machine. That's gone and never coming back, the closest I get is stories from the old heads on forums like this and my dad.

Last edited:
2nd. Mum is a spurs fan from Maidstone. Was born 83 and first albeit hazy memory was 91 semi vs Woolwich on tv. Gazza had me hooked at Italia 90. Got a 3 year old girl and another girl on the way so if they get into footy they will probably follow Albion or Lewes I imagine for accessibility

One thing my dad always moans about modern football (apart from the cost and Sky TV) is it being all-ticket, where it's all got to be done way in advance. Even though he used to go to most home games, he never had a season ticket. Him and his mates would decide on the day to go or not (mostly they'd go). Obviously, they didn't live far away.

Also told me that for the cup final replay against Man City, he had a spare ticket and couldn't give it away, everyone he knew who wanted one had one. So he took one of his younger brothers to the game and it was the first game he ever saw, Ricky Villa and all that. And my dad reckons it might be the only game his brother ever went to. Not a bad one to get haha.

Apparently, for some away games, he used to get on a coach from The Palmerston Arms pub (or might be The Lord Palmerston, I can't remember) in Walthamstow. They (not my dad) used to call themselves the Parmy Army and we're a load of nutters, so it goes. The old man reckons it was safer going to places like Anfield with this lot! He never got involved in any fighting himself, but was glad he was with plenty of people who could handle it!

Seems like a different planet and to be honest, I'm quite jealous of that time to be a fan on the terraces. I know it wasn't all roses, but the feeling of belonging, community, and not just being a customer for some big corporate machine. That's gone and never coming back, the closest I get is stories from the old heads on forums like this and my dad.
Fair play , your Dad has told you just the way it was . I think myself very fortunate to have witnessed those days . You did feel that sense of belonging and affinity with the football club , which sadly doesn’t seem the case anymore

Great thread. Right, bit of a convoluted one this, so I’ll make it brief:

1st Gen Spurs.
Dad born in Islington. He was a professional in his younger days (Millwall) and then played semi-pro (Sutton & Bromley). He didn’t ‘support’ any team but professed a fondness for West Ham.
I was born round the corner from Selhurst Park and was taken there aged 7. I felt nothing for the Eagles though.
Dad’s brothers & sisters (who had moved to Morden by then) were all Chelsea.
Confusing eh?

Ricky Villa in 81 sealed it for me. First visit to the Lane followed very quickly after that. Things became more surreal in my teens. Dad became youth team manager - my brother and I at Cheshunt in the holidays rubbing shoulders with players etc. I briefly played in what would now be deemed Spurs’ Academy but signed schoolboy forms with Palace. Despite this, I kept going to Spurs and occasionally away games.

Non league, then pub teams quickly followed as playing came second to watching (travelling all over etc).

Both of my two boys play but only one of them is a ‘football fan’. I took him all over London watching QPR, Fulham, Charlton, Palace etc (not Chelsea or Woolwich though!)so as he could make his own mind up as I didn’t like the thought of ‘handing down’ my team to him. He only went and fucking chose us….now at University in Manchester he messages me bemoaning the state of the club, our playing ‘style’ and hapless players and I feel guilty!

First. No football interest in the family line, Dad and uncle played serious rugby and cricket in the 50’s / 60’s. Dad played for Derbyshire (cricket) and England B team (rugby) so literally no football roots.

Like him, all I wanted to do was play team sports - didn’t care what. First watch was a trip to Ashton Gate to see Bristol City vs the Dippers (1974 i think). Can’t even remember the score - it was just young men with long hair and flares looking for a fight, I didn’t get it at all.

Then we moved (again) to the Home Counties and I got a serious knee injury so started to take an interest in football teams properly for the first time rather than just the ”sport” of football.

Watched the ‘78 World Cup like an addict. (Insert Mario Kempes gif here) and then Ricky and Ossie signed and I just thought fuck it. We always remember the bad decisions don’t we.

My son proudly wears the shirts I buy for him but his heart isn’t in it. There are times when I’m happy to play Woolwich on FIFA ( Furball man Furball man ) when you try to lose Just to try and be subversive and get him involved but it ain’t happening

I don’t post much because I don’t dig the general hate / vitriol but this is a great thread. Maybe the best.

TTID.

No matter what size they are still rank👍
Philistine! Burn the Witch!!!

A proper roast Beef Sunday dinner is just not right without Yorkshire puddings, like a cooked breakfast just isn't complete without Black pudding.

9/10 for starting this thread...

Open contract on your life for dissing Yorkshire puds!
doc savage shoot GIF by Warner Archive

Apparently, for some away games, he used to get on a coach from The Palmerston Arms pub (or might be The Lord Palmerston, I can't remember) in Walthamstow. They (not my dad) used to call themselves the Parmy Army and were a load of nutters, so it goes. The old man reckons it was safer going to places like Anfield with this lot! He never got involved in any fighting himself, but was glad he was with plenty of people who could handle it!

Excellent post.

Back
Top Bottom