Tottenham Vs Fulham Saturday 3rd September 15:00

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think Royal plays 100% better when Romero is playing than Sanchez.
I harp on about this all the time but I think Royal is genuinely very good at passing combinations from deep to work around an opposition press. Sanchez weight and time of pass just does not allow for this. Himself, Romero, Bentancur, Hojbjerg work very tidy triangles in a way I don't think any of our other wing backs are capable of. (Perisic.. but he's an altogether more accomplished player). A real shame he can't make decisive passes in the opposition box, if he did we'd have an excellent player.

The goal we gave away was another really poor one. Romero has lots of likeable qualities, but his box defending at times can be less than great. Showing Mitrovic inside was a pretty basic error, he's never going too run you round the outside and I'm so sick of watching Dier retreat away from danger to stoically mark a huge piece of grass. Dier's mastered the art of risk averse defending.
He plays in the middle of a back 3 - his job is to cover that huge space (piece of grass in the middle) so he was doing his job/ where I would be critical is defending with his arms behind his back - puts you totally off balance - hence his feeble effort to block the shot.

People don’t get it. It’s all part of Portnoy’s bit. He’s very influential in the US sports market and him being associated with us is better than him not being associated with us.

Him talking about us is a good thing even if he does come across like a bellend to some.

He's no difference that Lasso, but has tons more influence.

Don't knock him.

FFS

He plays in the middle of a back 3 - his job is to cover that huge space (piece of grass in the middle) so he was doing his job/ where I would be critical is defending with his arms behind his back - puts you totally off balance - hence his feeble effort to block the shot.

What's that great big lump of grass going to do?

He should have read what was going on and been covering Romero who he'd left 1v1 to mark no-one and cover nothing.

He should have read what was going on and been covering Romero who he'd left 1v1 to mark no-one and cover nothing.

It was shit defending from Romero, how is Dier meant to react to such a weak tackle, you'd think that Romero would have dealt with it better than that.

No need to over analyse, just put the goal on Romero and keep it moving.

We're on 4th on MotD, after Brentford-Leeds, Forest-B'mouth and Chavs-WHU
I think it's great they're shifting their game order to quality and excitement over big club bias.

The first two games clearly had the lot, while the Merseyside Derby and the Man City game was relegated to the tail end.

Quite refreshing IMO

Last edited:

Behave - every fucking defender being drawn to the ball is school boy stuff - the big lump of grass would be a massive space that would be a massive opportunity to the attacking team to exploit.

Dier was doing exactly what he has been coached to do - his massive improvement recently partly due to his hard work and application and massively due to being expertly coached

I can be as big a doom and gloom merchant as the best of us can and rarely get carried away with a good result here and there. But, as others have mentioned, today’s score line was not reflective of the game. We had it in the bag and it was a 3-0 or so game to us game all day long.

I’m surprised at Bentancur not getting more of an individual mention here than he seems to be. I watched him and Lenglet very closely today at the game (I’ve commented on Lenglet in his specific thread) and think Bentancur deserves a special mention. He covered loads of ground effortlessly, was always available for a pass and was always looking for the ball. When he had the ball, he continuously drew two Fulham players in at a time then beat them through little one twos or by passing through them with ease and setting us off again. I thought it was his best performance for us this season by far.

100% this....
I stupidly/naively celebrated Richie's 'goal' today.... Even did the 'Pigeon wings'
..what a twat!

Goals should now be met with ABSOLUTE STONEY SILENCE, until VAR decides whether we can celebrate or not... Imagine them trying to promote that to the world on Sky?

That might bring the message home!
That would be amazing if we all did that. We absolutely went mad went Richi netted; such a shame.

I think it's great they're shifting their game order to quality and excitement over big club bias.

The first two games clearly had the lot, while the Merseyside Derby was relegated to the tail end.

Quite refreshing IMO
I'm referring to your earlier post about how the new signings did.

Richarlison and Lenglet = very good.
Persisic = a late sub so not much to say about him this time (he came on for Son not Sess)

The first two games clearly had the lot, while the Merseyside Derby was relegated to the tail end.

Quite refreshing IMO
I agree. Having said that, I don't think there was a game that didn't offer some great entertainment, barring Chelsea West Ham maybe, even the scoreless draws were highly entertaining.

Good weekend of Football all round I reckon.

People don’t get it. It’s all part of Portnoy’s bit. He’s very influential in the US sports market and him being associated with us is better than him not being associated with us.

Him talking about us is a good thing even if he does come across like a bellend to some.
The old "any press is good press" ouroboros.

Cracking game of football, post-match drinks in the White Hart upstairs, and then a walk to Edmonton for a Turkish - What a day!!
The team were excellent today, and we were so unlucky not to have scored more. PEH's movement for his goal was outstanding, and he had a really solid game.
Fulham's time-wasting antics in the first half was beyond pathetic, and to the ref's credit, he clamped down on it, in the 2nd half. Great atmosphere too 💙.

It was shit defending from Romero, how is Dier meant to react to such a weak tackle, you'd think that Romero would have dealt with it better than that.

No need to over analyse, just put the goal on Romero and keep it moving.

It was shit defending from both, but at least Romero is proactive, he actually gets a tackle in, albeit a shit one, but the ball just spins out the tackle to Mitrovic, but at that point Dier, watching all this unfold still has time to react and push out toward Mitrovic - but he just fucking stands there, three meters away and makes no attempt to do anything.

Behave - every fucking defender being drawn to the ball is school boy stuff - the big lump of grass would be a massive space that would be a massive opportunity to the attacking team to exploit.

Dier was doing exactly what he has been coached to do - his massive improvement recently partly due to his hard work and application and massively due to being expertly coached

I didn't say "every defender should be drawn to the ball".

What you basing your knowledge of Dier doing what he's instructed to do? You got any footage of Conte telling Dier to fucking stand and watch instead of doing shit?

Back
Top Bottom