Tottenham v Barnsley in the whatever it's called cup!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Some years ago now I remember being at WHL for a laboured extra time win over Southend. It was an awful night, and comfortably the worst home game I'd ever been to ... until tonight.

There I was, up in Club Wembley where there was hardly anyone. Maybe some 2000 fans at the most, in a ring designed for 10,000. It was horrid. The atmosphere was awful too. Obviously a quarter full stadium is always going to be dull, but all the pomp and high cockalorum of the club Wembley ring just made it so much worse. I walked about a bit at half time and thought to myself ... "is this what football has become, or is becoming"? Because one thing is for sure, and that's that the days of thin concourses and over crowded toilets are a thing of the past. But is that a good thing? Club Wembley feel like a food court at a very posh shopping centre. It was horrendous.

Game wise, it was a dull affair. It wasn't close, because Barnsley just looked like they wanted to hold out at 0-0 for as long as they could, which they did. They didn't make a real effort to try and win the game, and they got what they deserved.

Where Spurs messed up was the scoreline. If Spurs are going to make Wembley at least feel a bit like home this year, then they need so notable big wins (Dortmund helped) and some absolute tonkings for smaller clubs. Barnsley should of been played off the park, just like Millwall and Gillingham were at WHL last year. It's another missed opportunity and one we really needed to take.

Player wise, Dele, Sissoko and Llorente were all shite. Son completely disappeared in the second half and Dembele did his usual thing of looking very skillful in areas of the pitch where he was under no pressure at all. Harry Winks looked lively though, and Kyle Walker-Peters looked like he wanted to be there. Otherwise, it was a game that was killed by its shear blandness.

How to watch this game? Can't find a stream

Here you go boy...

images

Some years ago now I remember being at WHL for a laboured extra time win over Southend. It was an awful night, and comfortably the worst home game I'd ever been to ... until tonight.

There I was, up in Club Wembley where there was hardly anyone. Maybe some 2000 fans at the most, in a ring designed for 10,000. It was horrid. The atmosphere was awful too. Obviously a quarter full stadium is always going to be dull, but all the pomp and high cockalorum of the club Wembley ring just made it so much worse. I walked about a bit at half time and thought to myself ... "is this what football has become, or is becoming"? Because one thing is for sure, and that's that the days of thin concourses and over crowded toilets are a thing of the past. But is that a good thing? Club Wembley feel like a food court at a very posh shopping centre. It was horrendous.

Game wise, it was a dull affair. It wasn't close, because Barnsley just looked like they wanted to hold out at 0-0 for as long as they could, which they did. They didn't make a real effort to try and win the game, and they got what they deserved.

Where Spurs messed up was the scoreline. If Spurs are going to make Wembley at least feel a bit like home this year, then they need so notable big wins (Dortmund helped) and some absolute tonkings for smaller clubs. Barnsley should of been played off the park, just like Millwall and Gillingham were at WHL last year. It's another missed opportunity and one we really needed to take.

Player wise, Dele, Sissoko and Llorente were all shite. Son completely disappeared in the second half and Dembele did his usual thing of looking very skillful in areas of the pitch where he was under no pressure at all. Harry Winks looked lively though, and Kyle Walker-Peters looked like he wanted to be there. Otherwise, it was a game that was killed by its shear blandness.

Every week it's becoming painfully obvious the fanbase is not digging Wembley.
Even getting to a final is going to feel nauseating at the thought of playing it there

Please please please please shut up about Wembley Sammy

Why?

Its not going anywhere anytime soon, and is a valid point of discussion.
In fact, I repied to someone who was at the game last night and sounded genuinely mortified by the experience.

If we want to white wash the forum into positive thoughts only, then fine, but until then, and until Wembey stops being a factor then people have the right to discuss it.

There are many, many people who claimed it showed us as being a massive club and was great for revenue, and was the only option befitting our club, and everything else was too small and too far and basically beneath us.

As I said last week, games like this in a 36,000 stadium are ok......but when you have 78,000 empty seats, at a tenner, we look pathetic to be honest. I think everyone got a bit ahead of themselves with the demand for tickets this season.

I cant wait til the club gets back to WHL, and Im tired of people claiming Wembley isnt a factor, while then saying we shouldnt expect too much this season because of it.

If it doesnt affect you, then fine, enjoy the experience of it, but for many fans, its an issue and people have the right to be allowed to not simply put their head in the sand and pretend its nice.

Ive made an active decision not to go unless its a final. Because thats the only game we should be playing there. Any game I do this season will be away and I dont care what anyone thinks about that. For many fans, not having a home is depressing. Where should they talk about it?
On KUMB?

Back
Top Bottom