Tottenham Hotspur Vs Wolverhampton Yam Yam Wanderers. (Sat 17th Feb 15:00)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I just think having more than one plan and not announcing it to the world is a smart move. I get the "project" and almost happy to write off this season as growth but the second half of this season will be very telling since everyone knows what to expect and I don't just mean Wolves.
The growth needs to be bedded in this season ready for a proper campaign next season one that doesn’t fizzle out as soon as there is one injury. Giving all the apologist exscuse “look we have injuries, they are tired, it’s raining, blah blah blah”.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you said but the bolded parts.

First of all, a plan B doesn't have to be just swapping defensive players for attacking ones, it's more about how we tactically approach the game, sometimes conceding possession against teams and playing on the counter is the solution for example.

Ange needs to be more flexible, teams know how we set ourselves up, it never changes and it's easy for teams to limit us because they have figured out how.

We don't have the wealth of talent a team like City has for example so we have to win games being smart sometimes, not just relying on individual talent.

It doesn't have to be a case of us either fighting on our feet or giving up, grey areas exist in life and sport mate, like I said, he needs to adapt or it will only end one way for us.
Indeed! Could also be like just inverting one FB or if not all if they are injured like yday. I really don’t see how our performance could have been any worse yday by just playing the FBs in a normal back 4!

The 2nd goal we have 5 players running back to their 3. Only Neto is ahead of our players. We have royal VDV and Sarr all go to Neto like play ground football. Gomez is miles back, biss is well in front but instead of going over towards Gomez he kind runs straight but towards Neto. He slows down at the edge of the box for some reason and Gomez is now in front ready for clear pass from Neto. Don’t understand why 3 players get drawn to Neto , no one stays in the centre and why boss stops virtually instead of keep running. Would have easily intercepted the pull back.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you said but the bolded parts.

First of all, a plan B doesn't have to be just swapping defensive players for attacking ones, it's more about how we tactically approach the game, sometimes conceding possession against teams and playing on the counter is the solution for example.

Ange needs to be more flexible, teams know how we set ourselves up, it never changes and it's easy for teams to limit us because they have figured out how.

We don't have the wealth of talent a team like City has for example so we have to win games being smart sometimes, not just relying on individual talent.

It doesn't have to be a case of us either fighting on our feet or giving up, grey areas exist in life and sport mate, like I said, he needs to adapt or it will only end one way for us.
I'm pretty much well aware what the cliche plan B means to some people.
Mostly it means a "hail Mary" move that transforms failure or mediocrity
into a stunning win.
Sadly life isnt that simple, and the magic "plan B" is a mythical construct in the imagination of the desperate or deluded.

The military truism that's "any plan survives up until the first contact with the enemy" is a much more realistic approach to any orchestrated movement or predetermined plan or approach to the expected reaction of the opposition.

Its football - Xg is a fairytale for the hard of thinking and spontaneous constructs of plan B's ignore the multiplicity of options that humans can conjure up that lay to waste the majority of planning.

The 2nd goal we have 5 players running back to their 3. Only Neto is ahead of our players. We have royal VDV and Sarr all go to Neto like play ground football. Gomez is miles back, biss is well in front but instead of going over towards Gomez he kind runs straight but towards Neto. He slows down at the edge of the box for some reason and Gomez is now in front ready for clear pass from Neto. Don’t understand why 3 players get drawn to Neto , no one stays in the centre and why boss stops virtually instead of keep running. Would have easily intercepted the pull back.
Bissouma was awful for the second goal and you could see why Conte spoke about his defensive naivety.

I did say they need to spend big in that position to really get it right...mind you they rightly fucked it up with Ndombele.
I went to the same school as Danny Thomas, who was an astonishingly gifted footballer, and ended up being our right back.

We had another footballer in my year who was n'Dombele (1970's) - Noel Nelson his name was. He got taken on by Sheffield Utd, but didn't make it, because he didn't care enough. His skills were astonishing for his size and he was too laid back to try.

Lovely guy too , just didn't like all that running around and trying too hard stuff.. If someone had gotten into his head he would have been a brilliant player.

Fuck. I’ve just realised I’m meant to be having Sunday lunch with my brother in law and he is a gooner. Fuck he is going to be all chipper and want to talk football. Fuck fuck fuck.
Send him some subtle signs the first thing you do when you sit down at the table!!

My suggestion:
discussion anthony GIF

I’d like to hear more of these opinions!

So the Virgin Mary was said to have lived BC and enjoyed nighttime shenanigans with someone other than her husband. Already quite controversial to some.

The fact she was also a time traveller who had access to crack cocaine is a new one on me.

Or are you saying that the Holy Ghost or whoever was up to no good after dark was supplying the crack cocaine?

This is the Sunday morning stuff I can rely for TFC for. My priest has never talked about any of this stuff.
A line of what Mr Matthews is snorting please waiter!

How has mason maintained a job as attacking g coach. What skills and experience does he have. I bet he never had an interview for it. What master stokes has he pulled out to make us more attacking and lethal? You have to wonder sometimes how people at football clubs get jobs. Nothing like the real world.
I reckon Ange is being let down by his 4 or 5 assistant coaches.
Ryan Mason is the "attacking coach
they have a defensive coach? who? Djedinak? can he influence the high line or FBs acting as wingers?

As Glen Hoddle said over the w/e :
(committing too many players forward -- hmmmm & neglecting defensive duties -or should I say relegating the task to VDV to mop up )
==

Spurs have often been punished for committing too many players forward and former Tottenham manager Glenn Hoddle believes they have become easy to exploit on the break.

“I love the way they play going forward. I think Ange has been brilliant in the way he’s set them up with fullbacks going in, which they missed today, Udogie and Porro didn’t play,” Hoddle said on Matchday Live Extra on Optus Sport.

“So going forward, love it, but defensively I’ve always been worried this season.

“Every time I look at them, the goalkeeper Vicario is having to make worldies, four or five, every game. At this level, it’ll be harsh, you’ll get beat in the end.

“It was something I felt if only they could put a little bit more defence in there, a bit of work deeper, then I think they’ll solve the problem because they have got pace at the back.

“But my word, it was for me watching Spurs week in and week out, it’s something that’s easy to play against. You can get in behind them so easy and consequently they got punished today.”

I reckon Ange is being let down by his 4 or 5 assistant coaches.
Ryan Mason is the "attacking coach
they have a defensive coach? who? Djedinak? can he influence the high line or FBs acting as wingers?

As Glen Hoddle said over the w/e :
(committing too many players forward -- hmmmm & neglecting defensive duties -or should I say relegating the task to VDV to mop up )
==

Spurs have often been punished for committing too many players forward and former Tottenham manager Glenn Hoddle believes they have become easy to exploit on the break.

“I love the way they play going forward. I think Ange has been brilliant in the way he’s set them up with fullbacks going in, which they missed today, Udogie and Porro didn’t play,” Hoddle said on Matchday Live Extra on Optus Sport.

“So going forward, love it, but defensively I’ve always been worried this season.

“Every time I look at them, the goalkeeper Vicario is having to make worldies, four or five, every game. At this level, it’ll be harsh, you’ll get beat in the end.

“It was something I felt if only they could put a little bit more defence in there, a bit of work deeper, then I think they’ll solve the problem because they have got pace at the back.

“But my word, it was for me watching Spurs week in and week out, it’s something that’s easy to play against. You can get in behind them so easy and consequently they got punished today.”

Pretty much plucked that out of your arse, fella.

.........They're Ange's tactics; not the asst. coaches. The coaches drill whatever the manager directs them to.

Last edited:
Bissouma was awful for the second goal and you could see why Conte spoke about his defensive naivety.
And this is exactly the scenario that Skipp is good at sensing the danger and snuffing it out. Aside from Bentancur to an extent, Skipp is the only one that can play DM and sniff those situations out.

But now the role of a DM is to also be press resistant and that's where Skipp lacks. So now you're looking for a player that can combine both aspects.

Tbh its just defensive laziness from Bissouma.
The old adage 'space never scored a goal'. He should be picking up the man.

I also don't know why VDV went into the line. He should have stepped up. All our players have this obsession of being in a defensive line but a simple cutback will break that as we saw
Its worse when you're midfielders are defensively dozy.

Maybe Bissouma made a momentary mistake that ultimately led to a goal.

But over 90 minutes we had 71% of the ball. Somehow we had more shots than them (somehow because I hardly remember any) and yet realistically, Wolves should have scored 3 or 4 goals.
We didn't lose because Bissouma made a mistake, we lost because for 90 minutes we did nothing useful with the ball despite almost entirely owning it.

Fuck this result again!

Proving once and for all that footballers are essentially stupid human beings!

The upcoming weekends' home fixtures for our direct rivals above and below us are VERY favourable... (Villa/Forest, Man Utd/Fulham I think)

The fact everyone also seemed to win away at the weekend made us picking up 3 points at HOME even MORE key, so to LOSE now potentially has an even bigger loss after the next round of fixtures!

A win against Wolves wouldn't have fucking killed us...
It was there for the taking... ...and, whilst I realise it's easier said than done, pretty much everyone else showed us how its' done: score a couple of quickfire goals to demoralise the opposition, then see the game out regardless...
Or in the Arse's case; score a couple early, and then just keep scoring until the opposition get bored of picking the ball out of the net!

Fucking Wolves.

Fucking Spurs!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but what the fuck were we thinking doing a live training session on Spursplay with Emerson & Davies ahead of a premier league game? Talk about asking for it.

Back
Top Bottom