Tottenham Hotspur Vs Wolverhampton Yam Yam Wanderers. (Sat 17th Feb 15:00)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

View: https://x.com/jamestmaw/status/1758882351927513587?s=61&t=uETTmoovTpdmNn4PhyoGBQ

View: https://x.com/jamestmaw/status/1758900299383665046?s=61&t=uETTmoovTpdmNn4PhyoGBQ

Fair points and observations, in my view. If Madders cannot work any of his magic against a low block or parked bus, this team is essentially nullified.

Said it in another post if have royal basically in midfield receiving the ball then just fucking play a midfielder there! We should have just play extra midfielder and 3 at the back. We don’t have FBs as such any way do with 3 at the back we would have enough cover in wide areas.

Definitely a higher level than Jones, Endo and Macalister.
Plus VVD and Salah at the height of their power (+ Mane + Firmino).

Overall a much more fearsome side.

You look at the current XI and they look very beatable... but no one seems to beat them.
Why is that I keep asking my self. Their bench yday was t that great either. However they just roll over teams. Although many don’t like klippity but he gets his teams at from the start especially at home. Thats gets the crowd behind them and adds to the intensity of their play. Just wish we could go out fired up.

WTF is a low block anyway? I genuinely don't know.
Glad I'm not the only one who needs an explanation.
Packing the final third and blocking passing channels and sitting there, generally intended to break quickly when the opportunity arises or attacking off set piece play, I think that’s a fair summary. Example being Wolves and a lot of Jose football.
So, parking the bus then ;)

My biggest takeaway from yesterday……..

We’re not a good hold up squad (a.k.a. Richey is not a good hold up CF). I see too many through runs go ignored, instead opting for forcing it in the middle to Richey, who really doesn’t do much with it if he does get control. We need to take advantage of the team speed and hit those slicing runs behind the defenders.

:ange-pray:

Last edited:
Why is that I keep asking my self. Their bench yday was t that great either. However they just roll over teams. Although many don’t like klippity but he gets his teams at from the start especially at home. Thats gets the crowd behind them and adds to the intensity of their play. Just wish we could go out fired up.
It's very simple. Coaching. Jurgen Klopp is the best coach in this country from what I can tell. He is better than Pep, I don't know how good Ange is as its too soon to tell. I knew Jose was done as a top flight coach when we were still top. Its apparent in the details, ball retention Shape in and out of possession and I maintain in how the side execute attacking patterns. So often you can see how well drilled a team is by the way you can repeatedly force certain scenarios. Roberto DeZerbi looks annoyingly competent too.

Last edited:
It's very simple. Coaching. Jurgen Klopp is the best coach in this country from what I can tell. He is better than Pep, I don't know how good Ange is as its too soon to tell. I knew Jose was done as a top flight coach when we were still top. Its apparent in the details, ball retention Shape in and out of possession and I maintain in how the side execute attacking patterns. So often you can see how well drilled a team is buy the way you can repeatedly force certain scenarios. Roberto DeZerbi looks annoyingly competent too.
Arteta seems to be doing ok despite what you might think of him personally...Woolwich are looking awfully smooth atm

His presser he didn’t even seem to disappointed or that he could have done anything g different. Someone mentioned the loss today as if it wasn’t the first as kind of feels like that with the performances. He said it was only one loss almost as if discarding the shite performances recently where we have won. It’s almost as if the wins or losses the performance doesn’t matter.
I just think having more than one plan and not announcing it to the world is a smart move. I get the "project" and almost happy to write off this season as growth but the second half of this season will be very telling since everyone knows what to expect and I don't just mean Wolves.

Like Pep, when he reconstructs the team with 5 £80 million plus substitutes?

He has a philosophy that has us playing amazing football but like russian Roulette it has a fatal flaw.
He played his plan B a few games ago and subbed off the creative players and put on a load of defensive ones - plan B! How did that work out?

We lack a Kane and we need better MF support for Madison, Bissouma and Sarr are decent but not the answer. Great going forward and then turn into traffic cones when we lose possession.

We just lost 2-1 at home again, like we did to villa and the spammers, by a team who play on the counter at speed and gamble that they don't shoot themselves in the head.

Do want us to die on our feet playing football, or live on our knees ?

After the Conte and mourinho years I'll take this season every time.
I don't disagree with a lot of what you said but the bolded parts.

First of all, a plan B doesn't have to be just swapping defensive players for attacking ones, it's more about how we tactically approach the game, sometimes conceding possession against teams and playing on the counter is the solution for example.

Ange needs to be more flexible, teams know how we set ourselves up, it never changes and it's easy for teams to limit us because they have figured out how.

We don't have the wealth of talent a team like City has for example so we have to win games being smart sometimes, not just relying on individual talent.

It doesn't have to be a case of us either fighting on our feet or giving up, grey areas exist in life and sport mate, like I said, he needs to adapt or it will only end one way for us.

Every single team has problems against low blocks though. Eventually volume will mean you get a decent chance at some point and it's about taking it. But odds tell you at some point in the season you won't create that one chance in said game. City, Woolwich, Liverpool all have dropped points this season against low blocks.

This is the first time I remember it costing us a game outside of West Ham (who we essentially gifted the game)
It doesn't seem like all the other teams struggling with low blocks also give up 4 or 5 golden opportunities to sides that have almost zero attacking intent though.

We are nowhere near, and I mean fucking lightyears away from being, dangerous enough on the attack to compensate for how open we are at the back.

It doesn't seem like all the other teams struggling with low blocks also give up 4 or 5 golden opportunities to sides that have almost zero attacking intent though.

We are nowhere near, and I mean fucking lightyears away from being, dangerous enough on the attack to compensate for how open we are at the back.

Which is to be expected 6 month into a project.

Back
Top Bottom