Tottenham Hotspur vs Crystal Palace - Sat. 2nd March 3pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Watched the game just now as I’d missed it.

1. Wasn’t a bad performance at all. Really don’t get what the fuss is about. We completely controlled the game and gave them almost nothing.

2. Created a bunch of chances. Werner had the 1v1 and another chance back post. Johnson should have scored. Son hit post and had another good chance plus a fluffed shot before Werner should have scored.

3. Blatant penalty. In real time and slowmo. Shocker from the officials and VAR. What’s the fucking point?

4. Maddison looks back. Great assist for the second. Bissouma is almost back but we miss him carrying the ball to break lines. Maddison is the only player that wants to do that. Sarr when he came on.

5. Great subs. All made their impact.

6. Emerson and Werner underrated in the game.

7. We don’t play 1 touch round the corner enough and don’t shoot enough.

Reasonable take, but I really don't think there is much opportunity for our 6 to be carrying through lines when those lines are compressed in about 15 yards of of pitch 15 yards from their end, I'd much rather our 8's, FB's and attackers (that's 7 players) were doing the riskier things in those areas.

When we are being pressured deeper, that's when we want/need Bissouma breaking some lines and helping us play more.

Last edited:
ive watched the first goal replay about 100 times and i still can’t figure out how Johnson gets by the second defender with possession before the pass to werner lol

Think he got a fortunate bounce when the defender kicked the ball into him instead of clearing it, but that doesn’t happen if Johnson isn’t aggressive and pressing it. Definitely want to see more of that from him!

Think he got a fortunate bounce when the defender kicked the ball into him instead of clearing it, but that doesn’t happen if Johnson isn’t aggressive and pressing it. Definitely want to see more of that from him!

Ahh ok i see it now , perfect deflection. Good example of why you give it 110% no matter how small your window of opportunity.

We need to jam the ball forward as much as possible against teams like Palace. Even more than “normal”.
Last 15 minutes we did just that and the results were there. Way too much lateral and backwards passing before then. Why even consider not shoving it up their ass when they’re sitting back and absorbing pressure.

PS
Can Villa please drop a point it two?

We need to jam the ball forward as much as possible against teams like Palace. Even more than “normal”.
Last 15 minutes we did just that and the results were there. Way too much lateral and backwards passing before then. Why even consider not shoving it up their ass when they’re sitting back and absorbing pressure.

PS
Can Villa please drop a point it two?

Ange eluded to this after the game. Can't recall if it was the presser or the Spurs TV chat.

AP1GczOcpqaHfoB5CPXn8-919Hq2Tk6urfsvZ3-CE2HAdtQzy2xvEZqJ5lkpfXPsl2olA4KY26Tk9df5A62fGV_sK14zLJc5df1lY_9GISORY5Ogifxw5aI=w2400

Imagine, mate, just imagine :ange-arms:

Last edited:
Poor first half performance followed by an excellent response to their goal. Bents still looks well off the pace, surprised he was picked over Sarr, in saying that watch his foul for their free kick leading to the goal, he still outdoes Bissouma in the tracking back, who looks like he has learnt nothing from the Wolves game.
Porro needed back asap, Royal was half decent defensively, but offers little going the other way, not helped by another poor performance from Kulu. Excellent from Johnson and Werner though, both contributing positively from the wings and making goal contributions.
Thought that yet another ref gave us very little, I think its a penno all day and let them away with an awful lot of time wasting.
Ange said in the post match that Sarr was dealing with a back issue since returning from AFCON. He's still training but he's restricted so not fit to start I guess.

View: https://twitter.com/thespursweb/status/1763973294363947383?t=m8vb6BUWUkNbyXNvN-ZbtQ&s=19

Not sure there can be many complaints with this overall performance tbh.

We dealt with a low block team better than we have all season. Limited them to pretty much nothing outside of a set piece goal, which if you've seen us this season has been rare for months. We controlled the game and turned it on when we needed too.

Only negative I can have is first half we were a little slow and didn't have the same intensity of the second half. Whether that's something we're doing by design and just slowing down to try and get Palace to press us to kill them I don't know - but id like for us to start quick and then perhaps control the game before ramping up the intensity again towards the end.

View: https://twitter.com/thespursweb/status/1763973294363947383?t=m8vb6BUWUkNbyXNvN-ZbtQ&s=19

Not sure there can be many complaints with this overall performance tbh.

We dealt with a low block team better than we have all season. Limited them to pretty much nothing outside of a set piece goal, which if you've seen us this season has been rare for months. We controlled the game and turned it on when we needed too.

Only negative I can have is first half we were a little slow and didn't have the same intensity of the second half. Whether that's something we're doing by design and just slowing down to try and get Palace to press us to kill them I don't know - but id like for us to start quick and then perhaps control the game before ramping up the intensity again towards the end.

It’s not that easy (start quick). Agree with the rest, I guess he can tell them to take risks with the ball in the final third and try off the cuff, random runs and passes. Don’t be afraid to flick it, dummy and lose the ball

Reasonable take, but I really don't think there is much opportunity for our 6 to be carrying through lines when those lines are compressed in about 15 yards of of pitch 15 yards from their end, I'd much rather our 8's, FB's and attackers (that's 7 players) were doing the riskier things in those areas.

When we are being pressured deeper, that's when we want/need Bissouma breaking some lines and helping us play more.

Fully agree on the 6 carrying.

Palace made that game dull yesterday. All the talk about Glasners bold strategies etc bollox, they just tried to kill the game and we found ways to beat them.

More I think about it, the more I think it was an encouraging performance.

It’s not that easy (start quick). Agree with the rest, I guess he can tell them to take risks with the ball in the final third and try off the cuff, random runs and passes. Don’t be afraid to flick it, dummy and lose the ball

Whilst I don't think Ange is one too dwell on previous games, I do wonder if the Wolves game was in the back of some of the players' minds.

Don't want to make a mistake and allow Palace to get a goal early and make it tricky for us, don't want the atmosphere to go flat, don't want to potentially be on course for back to back home losses etc.

Which should never be the case and over time will be something Ange will drill into them. But that was a much better showing from us against a team who pretty much didn't want to play football.

Thought Johnson changed the game when he came on , good fight as well to win the ball for the first goal , aside from the one on one Timo played good as well

Back
Top Bottom