Tottenham Hotspur vs Crystal Palace - Sat. 2nd March 3pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Looked too me that Udogie wasn't inverting as much and was a bit more risk averse than he usually is, Ben Davies played a lot more higher against Wolves for example.

Will need to watch it again but if this is the case maybe it's Ange shoring up the defence a bit and realising that both FB's going into the pockets and wandering up the pitch is too risky?

Obvious penalty in real time. Even more obvious on replay.

Shady as fuck, Kind of shit that makes you lose faith in the integrity of the league.
Right in front of us in real time, it was an obvious penalty. But then remembered we don’t play in red shirts.
Once again VAR proves itself to be useless when you have incompetence controlling it.

MVD was my man of the match yesterday and fair play to Johnson and Werner, I’ve not been their biggest fan but they really showed up yesterday.

yup.

whilst I wanted us to be a bit more creative in the final 3rd yesterday, Palace were set up very well and credit to them for keeping their shape and tracking our movement.

We did what good teams have to do. Keep the pressure on and force them into mistakes. I hate some people are taking that away from us.

Just have to win every game. Anything less and there will be doubt flying in from all angles.

Had a lovely time reminiscing about the 1984 UEFA cup final with Shades Shades and East Mid Yid East Mid Yid before the game.
Met a South Korean who was a Spurs supporter before Sonny arrived.
There were two guys in front of me, one who had "7 Son" on his shirt, (not unusual), the other one had "7 Dad" - just tickled me.
Anyway, to the game. Common story of this season - average first half, better second.
Heart in the mouth moments when Vic and VdV went down injured.
Talking of Micky, my MOTM by a mile. If Messi thinks Cuti is the best CB in the world, how would he rate Micky?
Glad Timo got his first goal, especially when he didn't score in the first half.
Madders shaking off the rust in the second half and Brennan seems more effective as an impact sub.
Caught train from WHL at 18:45, still busy nearly two hours after the game.
All in all, and enjoyable afternoon and three points in the bag.
Mrs P it’s not often I disagree with you but come on , the 1984 final? You wasn’t even Born then! Stop telling porkie pies! :paraticiwink:

AP1GczM_6K_pGDES4x7R6ktKcHtWPT4bEvDRjxyvAdXYPqqgAvzhtZ-q35GzqwDnNju0wVC1eStiG6prq_lP6TybTGVOYatkFHC4xwUNEgoD339cJ8da1Dk=w2400

Whether it's bent or just complete incompetence, it's fucked up either way:ange-confused:

Looked too me that Udogie wasn't inverting as much and was a bit more risk averse than he usually is, Ben Davies played a lot more higher against Wolves for example.

Will need to watch it again but if this is the case maybe it's Ange shoring up the defence a bit and realising that both FB's going into the pockets and wandering up the pitch is too risky?

Ben Davies seems to be the only one who sticks to the more extreme tactical instructions no matter what

Everyone else has been playing Angeball-lite for the past few games

Off topic slightly, but didn't know where else to put it...
Does anyone know what's happened to The Corner Pin (sorry, the Beavertown Corner Pin!)
It seems to be permanently closed... thought it might be shut for renovations, but haven't seen it open for months now ...

Shame, it's tiny, and not somewhere I went EVERY home game, but was still nice to pop in from time to time.

I'm all for regeneration, but if Beavertown were gonna take it over, then fine ... But not for it to shut a year or so later!!

Shame is all... Any news on it reopening any time soon..?

The two Koreans in front of me were singing and joining in. It’s a regular thing. Just because they might have found us through Son doesn’t mean they are all tourists and some aren’t ‘genuine’ fans.
Doesn’t matter if they started supporting yesterday or 50 years ago. Or that they support us cos of Son. Global game innit

Although I did see a young boy wearing an Al-something or other kit in my locks in Brighton the other week with Ronaldo on the back. That sucks!

SKY summary.

Spurs can't keep up this drama - for anyone's sake
Tottenham can't keep doing it like this. It's not sustainable for their supporters' blood pressure, even less their hopes of reaching the top four.

Saturday's comeback win over Crystal Palace was the fifth time Spurs have won when conceding first this season. After this victory, only Liverpool have picked up more points from losing positions.

It's impressive in its fortitude, its mental strength and its never-say-die attitude. Ange Postecoglou called his players' response "outstanding".

But that is to ignore 77 minutes of largely dour football, where Spurs struggled to break down a well-maintained low block and toiled despite their near-total possessional dominance.

It's not a new theme for Spurs, even in the gung-ho Postecoglou era. Front-foot football suits this team, but the precision needed to unlock defences be harder to find.

James Maddison was forced deep, even Heung-Min Son ended upback to attempt to influence the game.

Clearly, there is more potential in the team than it showed until the equaliser finally brought them out of themselves - as they blew Palace away from that point.

But Spurs can't keep waiting to fall behind before they get going.

Perhaps it will prove immaterial in the end. There is a greater-than-evens chance that there will be five Champions League places given to the Premier League this season.

But longer-term, this is something which needs to improve. Because it's not just a one-off. It's a fifth of their entire win tally for this season.
Ron Walker
The BBC's take on it is that late winners prove TITIE credentials!
...when it's Liverpool doing it!

Did you see Shearers take? Werner took a terrible touch which meant he had to think twice about his options. Elanga did a similar thing against Pool

Some forwards are much better shooting on instinct. Different type of composure in a one on one. In fact I think Son is up there with the best in the world at them

Edit this was in reply to someone earlier saying one on ones are easy. Can’t find the message to reply to

AP1GczM_6K_pGDES4x7R6ktKcHtWPT4bEvDRjxyvAdXYPqqgAvzhtZ-q35GzqwDnNju0wVC1eStiG6prq_lP6TybTGVOYatkFHC4xwUNEgoD339cJ8da1Dk=w2400

Whether it's bent or just complete incompetence, it's fucked up either way:ange-confused:
Our club's higher ups should be making more of a fuss about this sort of stuff. Surely there's an officlal route to complain about VAR. I mean the ref missing it might be forgivable at the full pace of the game but for VAR there can be no excuse, I saw it on the replay during the match, so wtf is VAR doing?

Everyone knows I'm no expert when it comes to tactics,etc. But doesn't Micky shine when we're playing on the front foot, leaving us susceptible to a breakaway?
He does but a lot of the times it’s bcos we have lost possesion in the oppo half. Normally defenders get motd when it’s a backs to the wall defensive performance. His getting motd when we have over 70% of the ball so something doesn’t add up.

Look at that: Liverpool doing it is an indicator of “success”, Tottenham doing it is an indicator that we’re about to fall through our arses.

Ron Walker… :rolleyes:
Ignore all that bollocks. We just need to improve on the things we can control. If we bang 2,3 goals early doors then all this would be irrelevant. That bishop to us to work out how to start playing in the first half.

Back
Top Bottom