Tottenham Hotspur vs Crystal Palace - Sat. 2nd March 3pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

AP1GczM_6K_pGDES4x7R6ktKcHtWPT4bEvDRjxyvAdXYPqqgAvzhtZ-q35GzqwDnNju0wVC1eStiG6prq_lP6TybTGVOYatkFHC4xwUNEgoD339cJ8da1Dk=w2400

Whether it's bent or just complete incompetence, it's fucked up either way:ange-confused:

I am row 22 in the south stand and I could see from there it was a definite pen. I’m assuming the ref was closer. If it isn’t a pen then it is a dive. As he didn’t give either then I think he just wanted to ignore it.

Just goes to show it's about opinions, and most are biased one way or another. I've seen the ratings for Royal, with one particular poster giving him a 1!

Emerson had a solid game yesterday and didn't put a foot wrong. The ratings on here shouldn't ever be taken as a barometer of how well a player played, far too many picking favourites.

FWIW, I felt that Romero was MOTM. He was solid, progressive, and weighed in with the winning goal. He was the standout player for me, but others will see it differently.

What seemed evident to me was that it looked as though we have a few players coming back into form. Maddison looked closer to his best, Bissouma looks to be getting there too, whilst Bentancur wasn't nearly as bad as some are making out.

The team, as a whole, was excellent yesterday.
Pretty much in line with my take on the game. Can’t see how Emerson is getting such low ratings. Very solid defending yesterday and a couple of really important tackles that if he hadn’t made them could have cost us dearly. Romero was very good as you say, he was composed and calm and always looked in control. Personally, I think Mickey just shaded him for man of the match, simply because of some fantastic covering defensive work when it mattered, but not much in it and only my opinion.

In the first half Palace caused us no real trouble and we were in control but there were times there when we had the opportunity to really up the tempo and cut through them but we often took the easiest option of stopping and passing it back or sideways. Three or four times we could have quickened the pace from midfield for a couple of short spells but for some reason just slowed down the tempo and didn’t grab some of those chances. After we conceded in the second half, it was like the light switch had been flicked on and we did up the tempo, pass forward at speed and we looked much better. Bentancur not as bad as some of the comments suggest, he’ll probably admit he’s not up to his best by any means but he never shirked responsibility or a challenge and was always looking for the ball. I’ve got no doubts he will keep improving.

Kulu was the biggest disappointment for me. He was continually hugging the line in the first half and when he received a pass he simply turned and got blocked by a Palace defender. No great defensive displays were needed, the Palace players simply stood their ground and Kulu ran into them time and time again. When he did manage to pass through them it was like he never looked up and just passed into a space where no team was standing or about to run into. He looked like he needed to be on the receiving end of a bad foul or to have a penalty claim disallowed to get him riled up. Just didn’t seem interested. Improved second half but overall still didn’t offer much in my opinion.

Can definitely see that some players are slowly coming back to form. I know we’d all like that to be quicker but it does at least look like it’s happening.

Yes when he came off. Nowhere near our level. Even playing in a team like Palace you’d still expect to see something but he was non existent.

Forgot that he'd signed for them.......

Not much scope to shine when your MFs are essentially playing as aux. CBs.

.........How'd he fair when they beat Burnley 3-0 last week? They were on the front foot for most of that match.

Watched the full match now. Might be controversial opinion but we weren’t actually ‘bad’ even in the first half. Palace just sat back with 10 behind the ball most of the time. We could have passed better / quicker but it’s hard to break that approach down.

I don’t get the comparisons to Conte. We weren’t being negative / defensive so it’s nothing alike.

The thing that didn’t make sense for me is why Palace didn’t stick to their approach. They were very open from 70 mins onwards and that’s when we scored 3.

Edit - thought the Werner pen was definitely a pen. SpursPlay amusing caught one of our fans shouting, “Do your fucking job referee!”. 😂
I watched it after the live game as well and felt the same.

If you remove emotional bias because you know the result, you see the game in a much colder light.

Without emotion it was an encouraging performance.

Just goes to show it's about opinions, and most are biased one way or another. I've seen the ratings for Royal, with one particular poster giving him a 1!

Emerson had a solid game yesterday and didn't put a foot wrong. The ratings on here shouldn't ever be taken as a barometer of how well a player played, far too many picking favourites.

FWIW, I felt that Romero was MOTM. He was solid, progressive, and weighed in with the winning goal. He was the standout player for me, but others will see it differently.

What seemed evident to me was that it looked as though we have a few players coming back into form. Maddison looked closer to his best, Bissouma looks to be getting there too, whilst Bentancur wasn't nearly as bad as some are making out.

The team, as a whole, was excellent yesterday.
Cuti nearly gave a goal away giving the ball away after taking too long on the ball.

I watched it after the live game as well and felt the same.

If you remove emotional bias because you know the result, you see the game in a much colder light.

Without emotion it was an encouraging performance.

Everyone should do this, it's mad how the game plays out differently the 2nd time you watch it.

That's because since the officials committed the cardinal sin of mucking up ONE solitary decision against them, it's not going to happen again!
Didn’t they just have ref howler go there way!
Absolute joke decision by the ref.
Watch the corner again konte goes down for a few seconds, ball goes to Hudson, conte looks up then stays down and ref blows. All of a sudden his head injury is cleared up he gets up and ref gives drop ball to pool goalie. Completely destroying forest little bit of pressure in 97th min. His basically got the rules wrong I believe.
Shocking but not hearing any one complain!

Didn’t they just have ref howler go there way!
Absolute joke decision by the ref.
Watch the corner again konte goes down for a few seconds, ball goes to Hudson, conte looks up then stays down and ref blows. All of a sudden his head injury is cleared up he gets up and ref gives drop ball to pool goalie. Completely destroying forest little bit of pressure in 97th min. His basically got the rules wrong I believe.
Shocking but not hearing any one complain!

Didn’t JJ have a go on MOTD?

Ref should be demoted for that

Pretty much in line with my take on the game. Can’t see how Emerson is getting such low ratings. Very solid defending yesterday and a couple of really important tackles that if he hadn’t made them could have cost us dearly. Romero was very good as you say, he was composed and calm and always looked in control. Personally, I think Mickey just shaded him for man of the match, simply because of some fantastic covering defensive work when it mattered, but not much in it and only my opinion.

In the first half Palace caused us no real trouble and we were in control but there were times there when we had the opportunity to really up the tempo and cut through them but we often took the easiest option of stopping and passing it back or sideways. Three or four times we could have quickened the pace from midfield for a couple of short spells but for some reason just slowed down the tempo and didn’t grab some of those chances. After we conceded in the second half, it was like the light switch had been flicked on and we did up the tempo, pass forward at speed and we looked much better. Bentancur not as bad as some of the comments suggest, he’ll probably admit he’s not up to his best by any means but he never shirked responsibility or a challenge and was always looking for the ball. I’ve got no doubts he will keep improving.

Kulu was the biggest disappointment for me. He was continually hugging the line in the first half and when he received a pass he simply turned and got blocked by a Palace defender. No great defensive displays were needed, the Palace players simply stood their ground and Kulu ran into them time and time again. When he did manage to pass through them it was like he never looked up and just passed into a space where no team was standing or about to run into. He looked like he needed to be on the receiving end of a bad foul or to have a penalty claim disallowed to get him riled up. Just didn’t seem interested. Improved second half but overall still didn’t offer much in my opinion.

Can definitely see that some players are slowly coming back to form. I know we’d all like that to be quicker but it does at least look like it’s happening.
Agree , I thought royal actually played well in our half when having to do normal FB duties. It’s up front his not so good. Was in a good crossing position and I think he over hit across goal. His ok but we need better. Fair play to him though he did his job as FB. Not his fault Ange wants him to play inverted when he hasn’t hit the tool set to do it.

Back
Top Bottom