Tottenham Hotspur vs Crystal Palace - Sat. 2nd March 3pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Had a lovely time reminiscing about the 1984 UEFA cup final with Shades Shades and East Mid Yid East Mid Yid before the game.
Met a South Korean who was a Spurs supporter before Sonny arrived.
There were two guys in front of me, one who had "7 Son" on his shirt, (not unusual), the other one had "7 Dad" - just tickled me.
Anyway, to the game. Common story of this season - average first half, better second.
Heart in the mouth moments when Vic and VdV went down injured.
Talking of Micky, my MOTM by a mile. If Messi thinks Cuti is the best CB in the world, how would he rate Micky?
Glad Timo got his first goal, especially when he didn't score in the first half.
Madders shaking off the rust in the second half and Brennan seems more effective as an impact sub.
Caught train from WHL at 18:45, still busy nearly two hours after the game.
All in all, and enjoyable afternoon and three points in the bag.
Thing is how many games are we having to give more to VDV a defender. I want it to be one of the forwards which would mean we have played attacking football and our forwards / midfielders have played well and done their jobs.

It was an excellent win, Son and Werner took their goals nicely.

For me though, this wasn't a performance which filled me with hope for much harder games to come.

Overall, so far this season, I think we have had pretty good results but a real mixed bag in terms of performance levels. I'm not totally sure what the problem is.

We don’t move the ball quick enough and therefore are easy to close down and play against. When we ping it about we are a different side. Yesterday you could see it was annoying Son because every time he got the ball he was firing it in at players trying to get the impetus up. Others weren’t following suit. It’s been the same for months hence the performances.

As I asked before, does 5th get CL ?
...only if Man Utd finish there...
if we stay in 5th, they'll find a new convoluted rule change to not award it... Even if all the European trophies are won by English teams!
(I think it's actually dependent on how City/Arse & Liverpool do in the CL tbh)
...so we could still find ourselves having to cheer on Woolwich to help secure US a CL spot ...

Imagine THAT doomsday scenario?!!

Killer pass was missing but the build up and general play was good. I did see ideas and patterns tbh. Palace had 10 men behind the ball the whole time.
Yeah so they sat back and let us have the ball, it's just that we didn't do enough with it in the first half. Needed a bit more from Maddison and Kulusevski imo.

Last question I have from the game is how Lerma escaped a red card for the blatant elbow to the head on Maddison?

Ref even gave him a yellow. I’m pretty sure leading with your elbow to the head gets you sent off usually.

SKY summary.

Spurs can't keep up this drama - for anyone's sake
Tottenham can't keep doing it like this. It's not sustainable for their supporters' blood pressure, even less their hopes of reaching the top four.

Saturday's comeback win over Crystal Palace was the fifth time Spurs have won when conceding first this season. After this victory, only Liverpool have picked up more points from losing positions.

It's impressive in its fortitude, its mental strength and its never-say-die attitude. Ange Postecoglou called his players' response "outstanding".

But that is to ignore 77 minutes of largely dour football, where Spurs struggled to break down a well-maintained low block and toiled despite their near-total possessional dominance.

It's not a new theme for Spurs, even in the gung-ho Postecoglou era. Front-foot football suits this team, but the precision needed to unlock defences be harder to find.

James Maddison was forced deep, even Heung-Min Son ended upback to attempt to influence the game.

Clearly, there is more potential in the team than it showed until the equaliser finally brought them out of themselves - as they blew Palace away from that point.

But Spurs can't keep waiting to fall behind before they get going.

Perhaps it will prove immaterial in the end. There is a greater-than-evens chance that there will be five Champions League places given to the Premier League this season.

But longer-term, this is something which needs to improve. Because it's not just a one-off. It's a fifth of their entire win tally for this season.
Ron Walker

Doesn’t look like it. Finally seen a replay and the palace defender sticks a foot out and trips him up. It’s a pen all day.
In isolation, I’m not sure it was. However, with the backdrop of us getting one pen all season and the filth getting c.10, it does make you think

I find it amazing that a population absolutely obsessed with Football has so little understanding of the dynamics of the game.

For 100 or so minutes, we continuously applied pressure to a team that came with one game plan only, prevent us from scoring. We ended up scoring 3 because that constant pressure forced them into mistakes, forced them to make decisions they didn't want to make, and they eventually broke down from all that pressure.

We might not have scored in the first half, but that laid the groundwork for the goals we did score in the second half.

That SKY summary is a perfect example of those who watch a game, but don't really understand what's happening in it. Unsustainable? What a load of bollox! We dominated, we exerted pressure constantly and, as a result, CP cracked. Same as every other team we've faced that have applied this low block tactic. When you're constantly under pressure, it exhausts you both mentally and physically.

The amount of complaints I've seen, on this forum, about how we struggle to break down a low block, is ridiculous. Then we put 3 past the low block of all low blocks, and the complaint is that we didn't do it in the first half.

We were excellent yesterday. Disciplined, patient and hard working. All 3 of those elements in our play led to a scoreline that was fully deserved.

Unsustainable? Utter guff.

SKY summary.

Tottenham can't keep doing it like this. It's not sustainable for their supporters' blood pressure, even less their hopes of reaching the top four.

Saturday's comeback win over Crystal Palace was the fifth time Spurs have won when conceding first this season. After this victory, only Liverpool have picked up more points from losing positions.

It's impressive in its fortitude, its mental strength and its never-say-die attitude. Ange Postecoglou called his players' response "outstanding".

But that is to ignore 77 minutes of largely dour football, where Spurs struggled to break down a well-maintained low block and toiled despite their near-total possessional dominance.

It's not a new theme for Spurs, even in the gung-ho Postecoglou era. Front-foot football suits this team, but the precision needed to unlock defences be harder to find.

James Maddison was forced deep, even Heung-Min Son ended upback to attempt to influence the game.

Clearly, there is more potential in the team than it showed until the equaliser finally brought them out of themselves - as they blew Palace away from that point.

Perhaps it will prove immaterial in the end. There is a greater-than-evens chance that there will be five Champions League places given to the Premier League this season.

But longer-term, this is something which needs to improve. Because it's not just a one-off. It's a fifth of their entire win tally for this season.
Ron Walker

I haven't heard anyone say "Liverpool can't keep doing this" ?...

Thing is how many games are we having to give more to VDV a defender. I want it to be one of the forwards which would mean we have played attacking football and our forwards / midfielders have played well and done their jobs.
Everyone knows I'm no expert when it comes to tactics,etc. But doesn't Micky shine when we're playing on the front foot, leaving us susceptible to a breakaway?

I find it amazing that a population absolutely obsessed with Football has so little understanding of the dynamics of the game.

For 100 or so minutes, we continuously applied pressure to a team that came with one game plan only, prevent us from scoring. We ended up scoring 3 because that constant pressure forced them into mistakes, forced them to make decisions they didn't want to make, and they eventually broke down from all that pressure.

We might not have scored in the first half, but that laid the groundwork for the goals we did score in the second half.

That SKY summary is a perfect example of those who watch a game, but don't really understand what's happening in it. Unsustainable? What a load of bollox! We dominated, we exerted pressure constantly and, as a result, CP cracked. Same as every other team we've faced that have applied this low block tactic. When you're constantly under pressure, it exhausts you both mentally and physically.

The amount of complaints I've seen, on this forum, about how we struggle to break down a low block, is ridiculous. Then we put 3 past the low block of all low blocks, and the complaint is that we didn't do it in the first half.

We were excellent yesterday. Disciplined, patient and hard working. All 3 of those elements in our play led to a scoreline that was fully deserved.

Unsustainable? Utter guff.
Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

SKY summary.

Ron Walker

So Liverpool can't keep up the drama either, right?

Sky wrote a similar article saying that they won't win the title if they keep needing dodgy extra time and suspicious, helpful officiating. I'm sure they did.

This guy completely fails to mention that we should have scored several times and were denied a stone wall penalty before Palace scored.

In isolation, I’m not sure it was. However, with the backdrop of us getting one pen all season and the filth getting c.10, it does make you think
It was nailed on. 100% of every other top 6 team gets that awarded to them. 90% of the rest of the league gets that awarded to them.

Then to have that bell end Dean come out and effectively say it wasn't awarded because the Palace player kicked his planted foot?

I can accept a ref missing it in real time, if he's too far away to see it clearly, or his view is blocked, but 2 other refs with multiple screens? Then have the excuse that it wasn't given because he didn't kick the right foot?

But no, we're not corrupt, we're English.

It was nailed on. 100% of every other top 6 team gets that awarded to them. 90% of the rest of the league gets that awarded to them.

Then to have that bell end Dean come out and effectively say it wasn't awarded because the Palace player kicked his planted foot?

I can accept a ref missing it in real time, if he's too far away to see it clearly, or his view is blocked, but 2 other refs with multiple screens? Then have the excuse that it wasn't given because he didn't kick the right foot?

But no, we're not corrupt, we're English.

Obvious penalty in real time. Even more obvious on replay.

Shady as fuck, Kind of shit that makes you lose faith in the integrity of the league.

SKY summary.

Ron Walker
Look at that: Liverpool doing it is an indicator of “success”, Tottenham doing it is an indicator that we’re about to fall through our arses.

Ron Walker… :rolleyes:

Killer pass was missing but the build up and general play was good. I did see ideas and patterns tbh. Palace had 10 men behind the ball the whole time.

yup.

whilst I wanted us to be a bit more creative in the final 3rd yesterday, Palace were set up very well and credit to them for keeping their shape and tracking our movement.

We did what good teams have to do. Keep the pressure on and force them into mistakes. I hate some people are taking that away from us.

Back
Top Bottom