Tottenham Hotspur v Chelsea

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Anyone hungry?

2502es_sherwoods.jpg

I don't hate Chelsea because of Willian. That's JCL plastic talk (also probably why one doesn't know one's history, if it's only a half year old).

I hate Chelsea because John Terry was part responsible for preventing Sol Campbell's being England Captain for a decade.

Given that LVG has been quite publicly courting the role, that Levy has been out to have extensive talks with him and that it is widely expected he will take over in the summer (hardly unfounded rumour) I dont think its bizarre at all he enters the conversation.

Sherwood should absolutely be able to tell the players what he thinks. That is the right of any manager. He shouldnt, IMO, be doing it in public though. That NEVER ends well. In fact its often the beginning of the end for a manager, and so I do think its fair to say that was ill advised at best.

Honestly what I would think if it were LVG saying the same as Sherwood is the same as I do now, its probably right what he is saying but it shouldnt have been done in public at all. I would also still think it was the sign of a struggling manager.

However, the difference is I think LVG would have the gravitas to recover the position. Sherwood? not for me...
People get pissed off when we compare Tim with AVB, or AVB with Harry, let alone comparing Tim to a manager that has never managed Spurs, or managed in England for that matter. To make statements such as "LvG wouldn't have lost that game" is utter bollocks (not quoting you there). Completely irrelevant comparison, with no factual basis whatsoever. I'm up for discussing LvG's potential position within the club (in the relevant thread), but to compare our reaction to what Tim said with how we might react had LvG said it, IF he were our manager and IF we got spanked (which hasn't and might not happen) is quite frankly pointless. You could say that about any manager, after any game. What's the relevance in this situation?

I would normally agree with keeping such comments behind closed doors, but I am actually pleased on this occasion as the players have let us down too many times this season, and you could see he was hurt from that performance, whether for the team or his own sake. But it was nice to see some human emotion in front of the camera. I was fuckin livid, and embarrassed after that result, and he was too. And he said it. The players need to stand up and be counted. Tim is the manager, but he's not their boss. The club, the fans, are paying their wages, and they need to go out there and earn them. I feel we've been on the end of enough hammerings this season to be able to call out some players and ask what the fuck is going on. The sheer amount of individual errors is sickening, against a team that should have required no motivational speeches from the manager to get the players up for it.

I'm not sure LvG would have the "gravitas" to make it up. The bloke can be a complete nutjob, and it has cost him jobs in the past, and probably preventing some clubs from hiring him since. I think Tim will be fine. The players owe him a performance to be honest, that last half hour was dreadful. No amount of coaching or tactics can prevent that.

Anyway, as I say, the whole "LvG wouldn't have done that", "LvG would sort that out" isn't relevant nor possible to discuss, as we have no idea what he'll do (IF he becomes our manager). But I can bet that many would accept these comments from him, but have not accepted the same from Tim.

perhaps this is too much information, but around the 89th minute I had a desperate need to masturbate....to hopefully create some joy in my life, even if just for an instant.

Yet, when the deed was done the sense of deflation seemed even more magnified.:eriksenserious:

Please Christian, don't look at me that way. I know, I know.

and allow me to regress to 4th grade for a moment and say that the second half of the match was totally gay.

If we line up like yesterday I expect a heavy loss. However, if we get some players back and Timmy picks a sensible team I'm mildly optimistic. Walker back against Hazard would be massive and Sandro to start would help a lot. Rose or Fryers at LB is equally good/bad in my view. Eriksen needs to play (chiropractors, witch doctors, drugs, whatever it takes). Lennon and Chadli on the wings for their defensive work ethic. Soldado on the bench because two strikers would be a bit silly here.

Lloris
Walker - Kaboul - Vertonghen - Rose
Sandro - Dembele
Lennon - Eriksen - Chadli
Adebayor​

Mourinho said about today:

"Yes it was a defensive mistake," he continued, "but Samuel is so clever how he reads the game, and after that at 1-0, I am not saying they gave up but I think they felt they were in trouble as in the first half, they had a lot of the ball and they were dominant in the game, but how many saves did Peter Cech have?

"I think they are a team that have great control of the ball possession, but they don't hurt people - so second-half was comfortable for us.

"They are quite dominant as they are comfortable on the ball but as an opponent, you don't feel in trouble as you don't feel the danger. Even if you are not controlling the game, you feel calm, and in the second half when we scored even with 11 v 11, I felt it would be difficult for us to concede."

Can't help but feel he's right. All season we've not really attacked.. we keep the ball but despite Ade making the most of the chances, I don't think we've looked like scoring in a lot of matches, certainly this year :/

"write this game off" no thanks you cunts. It'll be tough and we'll probably lose but if we turn up and just let them walk all over us I'll be fuming.

Can we just take a moment to appreciate that, tactically, Tim got it right today and was let down by some shocking individual errors. Including the one made by the referee.

Back
Top Bottom