Tottenham Hotspur v. Burnley

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Verts is far and away the best CB we have, Fazio is, and has been his best partner. The reality is, they are the best two centre halves we have.
Yep, ATM Verts and Faz are our best pairing, and they just came through a helluva run of games - playing three 90 mins each in less than a week with only two goals against them, and all three ending up as wins against Prem opposition. That's excellent, and well done to them in playing their full part in this.

Like all the team, should benefit from the 'mini-rest' we now have, before we go again on the 26th. Four full recovery days, that's a real joy for us. I think we must have played more games than any other Prem team this season.

For me all the signings we made this last summer have been good and really have boosted the squad. Another striker and CB in the January window should help even more, as the games keep coming.

Spurs still aren't quite there yet but 9 wins and a draw in our last 13 matches shows definite signs of improvement...

P062_zps28c4add8.png

...If I was offered sixth place in the Table at Christmas at the start of the season, I'd have gladly taken it, considering we had a new manager coming in.

The Burnley game was significant.
1. third game in 6 days
2. expectation to win and to win at home was big
3. burnley on a good run, and were very aggressive
4. shut up those negative media gits, pressure on others now
5. massive for poch, anniversary of AVB sacking.
Come on You SPURS.....
I'm getting strong on Spurs having a fab second half of the year.
NOW - Daniel back Poch with funds to buy who he wants.

Had to miss the game yesterday, so pissed off, I only miss the ones we win! So I still haven't seen us play well (not live anyway).

Had to miss the game yesterday, so pissed off, I only miss the ones we win! So I still haven't seen us play well (not live anyway).

Am I completely mad? I thought the tackle on Mason should have been a pen. It was late and reckless, anywhere else on the pitch and it would have been a free kick. None of the commentators or reports I have seen seem to have considered this.

mate Vertonghen does the same shit, we noticed Fazio more today because Ings was trying to play off Fazio with little success I might add

Vertonghen showed afew moments of indecision today too when put under pressure

if I see Fazio get ripped to shit like I seen happen to Daws repeatedly then I'll worry but as off yet he's settling in nicely and giving us a real areial presence on set pieces that we haven't had in forever

Daws would get in there, he lacked pace but read the game well..

CH must compliment each other. One drops off and read the game the other must be the dominant defender, attacking the ball, nullifying the areal fret. Vert is ideal for dropping off as he has the pace and the knowhow, he has indecision moments but thats a team thing? Fazio must be the areal and physical presence. He does do this on occasions but tends to stand/drop off too often allowing space. Maybe its because of a lack of pace, confidence or out of sync with the PL he doesn't get close to forwards. He needs to get all over the forwards (sometimes he commits and then fouls, a bit clumsy). Both CB need to be a unit and minimise any space in front of them. They are developing into a good unit and I am optimistic with their progress. I like Fazio, he seems an honest players that will give it all. We just need him to get a little better. Dier is a straight replacement for him as cover.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, I decided to swing over to WhoScored.com to see if I was completely missing something about Fazio's game today...because I thought he played quite well. He was given the 2nd highest player rating of the game. I then decided to read other sites and see what they thought. He was consistently given high marks. He had a good game today, and no, he's not the fastest person in the world, but he reads the game quite well and all in all makes good decisions.
He did have a good game, its just his finer details being discussed .

Spurs still aren't quite there yet but 9 wins and a draw in our last 13 matches shows definite signs of improvement...

P062_zps28c4add8.png

...If I was offered sixth place in the Table at Christmas at the start of the season, I'd have gladly taken it, considering we had a new manager coming in.

All 5 prem wins in that run have been 2-1.
No wonder our goal diff is so lame

Fazio is doing just fine.

Vertonghen looks average at times, and makes some poor passes/clearances. In fact I cant remember the last major decisive tackle he made...BUT...he is one of those players who defends off the ball, and his intelligence is why a lot of teams go long, and target our other defenders.

He´s shown some major passion with our last minute goals, and the whole team seems happier. Dare I say it, but Poch has done the right thing with who he has dropped, for whatever reasons, and the players are responding well.

We need to concentrate for 90 minutes, not just the first half and the last 15, but its coming along.

Rose and Davies are pushing eachother and both look really good. Walker has made everyone think twice about trying to bombard our right side now, as he will just swallow them up with his pace.

Two excellent keepers, and the current CB pairing have an understanding, which is vital. The rest can be ironed out with practice. Our other defenders are versatile in where they can fill in.
The back line is starting to give me some confidence.

Last edited:
Fazio is doing just fine.

Vertonghen looks average and times, and makes some poor passes/clearances. In fact I cant remember the last major decisive tackle he made...BUT...he is one of those players who defends off the ball, and his intelligence is why a lot of teams go long, and target our other defenders.

He´s shown some major passion with our last minute goals, and the whole team seems happier. Dare I say it, but Poch has done the right thing with who he has dropped, for whatever reasons, and the players are responding well.

We need to concentrate for 90 minutes, not just the first half and the last 15, but its coming along.

Rose and Davies are pushing eachother and both look really good. Walker has made everyone think twice about trying to bombard our right side now, as he will just swallow them up with his pace.

Two excellent keepers, and the current CB pairing have an understanding, which is vital. The rest can be ironed out with practice. Our other defenders are versatile in where they can fill in.
The back line is starting to give me some confidence.

There was a strong focus in the defence during the summer transfer window and rightly so, agree with you I think we are starting to see the benefit of that

Back
Top Bottom