THFC vs Wigwam Athletic (AWAY)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Tremendous

Running rampant down that wing

Whipping in cross after cross

Probably the best winger in the Prem for creating scoring chances for others (which was poorly maximized by our Strikers IMO)

And the reason that this became less and less effective over time is because teams starting marking him out of the game. Which not only decreased the goals he scored, but also the chances he created for others. He is perfectly capable of coming in from wide on the left and blasting the ball into the back of the net with his left foot. Now lately he has started playing through the middle, and as we saw in the later stages on Sunday, cutting in from the right.
The reason he drifted to the right was because there was no space for him in the middle, City were playing narrow and keeping him out of the game.

What Bale needs to do is move position throughout the game, this will allow him to find the space, he's capable of being effective from any of the attacking positions. By moving he will either lose the markers or drag them all with him creating space for our other players. A fluid, intelligent, mobile attack could cause chaos. Not to mention the fact Wigan often play with 3 at the back. So where will the space be?

On the wings.

I'm not taking anybody lightly at this point, especially a team like Wigan who is in desperation mode w/ their relegation battle.

So who are these "Minnows" you were suggesting we play Huddlestone against last week?

My firm prediction is that AVB will not start both Hudd and Holtby.

I have been wrong more than once in my life :) but to me it's way too high risk, I can't think of one top manager who would take such a risk in a vital game, double especially espresso if Lennon starts as well.

Yeah, that might be a good point w/ Lennon's involvement.

Huddz probably not needed as much to the attack w/ Lennon adding that extra dynamic to that attack

No Lennon, I think Huddz is worth the risk

And the reason that this became less and less effective over time is because teams starting marking him out of the game. Which not only decreased the goals he scored, but also the chances he created for others. He is perfectly capable of coming in from wide on the left and blasting the ball into the back of the net with his left foot. Now lately he has started playing through the middle, and as we saw in the later stages on Sunday, cutting in from the right.
The reason he drifted to the right was because there was no space for him in the middle, City were playing narrow and keeping him out of the game.

What Bale needs to do is move position throughout the game, this will allow him to find the space, he's capable of being effective from any of the attacking positions. By moving he will either lose the markers or drag them all with him creating space for our other players. A fluid, intelligent, mobile attack could cause chaos. Not to mention the fact Wigan often play with 3 at the back. So where will the space be?

On the wings.

So who are these "Minnows" you were suggesting we play Huddlestone against last week?

I really don't envision Bale running down that left and bagging goals w/ his opposite foot. Its a rarity for the most part. To get a shot w/ his left foot, he has to be positioned in the middle or on the right side.

And he wasn't really a goal scorer until he made the move to the new role vs Norwich last year.I think the year he won the Prem POY , how many Prem goals did he have when he was playing exclusively on the left ? I think the # was in the single digits.

I really don't envision Bale running down that left and bagging goals w/ his opposite foot. Its a rarity for the most part. To get a shot w/ his left foot, he has to be positioned in the middle or on the right side.

And he wasn't really a goal scorer until he made the move to the new role vs Norwich last year.I think the year he won the Prem POY , how many Prem goals did he have when he was playing exclusively on the left ? I think the # was in the single digits.

5d301a6dd9e3cbb5266f58986e371d10.gif

Are you even reading my posts? Bale needs to pop up all across the attack. Left, Middle, Right. He gets marked out of games too easily by staying in one place. And his game has a lot more to it than scoring goals, he can pass to other people so they can score you know. He does have a pretty good cross on his left foot.

Are you even reading my posts? Bale needs to pop up all across the attack. Left, Middle, Right. He gets marked out of games too easily by staying in one place. And his game has a lot more to it than scoring goals, he can pass to other people so they can score you know. He does have a pretty good cross on his left foot.

I am reading what your posting

Again, I dont want him on the Left side at all.

Nice Gif

Dempsey is our third top scorer. I may not be his biggest fan (nor do i think hes shit) but he should play this game, particularly after scoring.

Would be surprised if AVB changed the the starting XI at all from last week tbh, although if it was me id swap THud for Parker and JD for Ade simply cos they've got previous against Wigan and makes us a bit more positive in a game we realky need to win... Cos when the chips are down those cunts at Sky will make sure *something* happens to keep their "product" exciting and the Sky 4 in it

I completely understand your POV that I think is completely wrong

So you don't think that a player who already has a free role should drift to the part of the pitch where he will get most space?

:gallashmm:

And you don't think one of the most effective left wingers in the world should ever play on the left again?

:balesnarl:

You have some interesting theories Philly. :freund:

And trust me he can pop on the left at times if it makes sense. He just needs to be in the center or right for a majority of the game. So I'll concede that he can roam to the left. Just very little of it please

Check out my theory from the summer. How that one work out?
http://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/2012/06/our-201213-starting-2nd-striker/

Worked out just fine, but now he's starting to get marked more effectively in central positions too. Where does he go from there? Onto the right wing, so his only real threat is from cutting in? No he has an effect wherever and whenever he can. The best thing he can do to defences is have them worrying where the fuck he is.

And trust me he can pop on the left at times if it makes sense. He just needs to be in the center or right for a majority of the game. So I'll concede that he can roam to the left. Just very little of it please

I think you may have just got what I was saying all along. Make an impact wherever he can, instead of ploughing barren fields.

Based on season ratings so far here's our best XI this season to start vs Wigan (i.e. im not including injured players or ones out on loan!)

So we should play:

Lloris

Friedel Dawson Caulker Vertonghen

Lennon Parker Carroll Dembele Holtby

Bale

Subs: Sigurdsson, Walker, Gallas, Naughton, Huddlestone, Defoe, Assou-Ekotto

Thoughts? :gallashmm:

Back
Top Bottom