The Mighty Tottenham Hotspur V BVB

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Last night was the epitome of having a Plan B...
Had we tried to play OUR usual game, we may well have got found out... simply 'cos they're better at it.

But this time WE did to Dortmund what others do to us... and whilst not parking any buses (thankfully) we soaked it up when we had to, and broke away on the counter when it was beneficial!
...it worked on both levels.

Yes they had more possession, but that was the point. We've sometimes not won games where we've dominated possession, and people bemoan the fact we can't break down a stubborn team.
Well last night, that stubborn team was US!

We let them have the ball on our 'terms' ... and broke several times at speed to devastating effect!

All told... a very good night which I have to say I was sorry to miss... but driving virtually right past a lit up Wembley whilst listening to it on the radio was one of the most surreal experiences I have had following a game!

Sent many a text to people I know who support other clubs bragging about the result ( the ones who sat there ready to take the piss about the Wembley hoodoo again) and I got so many returns saying " we were playing Dortmunds B team as all their best players were out"

The jealousy this morning has reached new levels :dembelelol:

Pulisic, Aubumeyang, Yarmalenko, Dahoud etc are all starting or near starting players, hardly a B team.

We also lack Waynama, Lamela and Rose so sour grapes I feel.

Sent many a text to people I know who support other clubs bragging about the result ( the ones who sat there ready to take the piss about the Wembley hoodoo again) and I got so many returns saying " we were playing Dortmunds B team as all their best players were out"

The jealousy this morning has reached new levels :dembelelol:

Dortmunds "B team" would have wiped the floor with most of the PL teams last night, so....

:harryhmm:

Oh yesssssssssssss what a result!

What a team peformance yesterday. Everybody looked amazing in their roles. Sanchez and Aurier have improved our starting XI massively. On to the next one.

The officials were absolutely horrendous but that did go two ways unfortunately. How many games is Jan set to miss out on because of his 2 yellow cards?

It's hilarious that most of the B team comments are coming from Spam fans, the same Spam fans who spent the day on Tuesday acting as if they just won the CL final after needing flukes to beat Huddersfield.
Like they can comment on CL football.:dembelelol::dembelelol:

They live through reflected glory, if Real Madrid beat us they will act like they did the job.

It's hilarious that most of the B team comments are coming from Spam fans, the same Spam fans who spent the day on Tuesday acting as if they just won the CL final after needing flukes to beat Huddersfield.

Its ruined their week.....they probably all sat down with their popcorn last night expecting us to lose 4-0 regarldess, what with Wembley and that.....

Now its only a B team.......if thats a B team, whats West Hams first team? Hackney Marshes?

Woke up this morning forgetting the result, then remembered and what a nice feeling that was.

Normally when I wake up forgetting a result it's because we got fucked.

Sounds daft but I think if we can pull off a draw in Dortmund I'd say we were as good as through.

We SHOULD beat Nicosia home and away, as should Dortmund. We will be lucky to get anything from either Real games as would Dortmund. IF this is the case us finishing second all comes down to one game.

Tall order but now I've seen we have a plan B I'm more confident that we can progress.

Sounds daft but I think if we can pull off a draw in Dortmund I'd say we were as good as through.

We SHOULD beat Nicosia home and away, as should Dortmund. We will be lucky to get anything from either Real games as would Dortmund. IF this is the case us finishing second all comes down to one game.

Tall order but now I've seen we have a plan B I'm more confident that we can progress.

Its on the head to head rule isn't it? So if we beat APOEL home and away and Dortmund to the same but we both lose to Madrid. Even a 1-0 loss in Germany should see us through as we beat them 3-1. Which is nice.

Its on the head to head rule isn't it? So if we beat APOEL home and away and Dortmund to the same but we both lose to Madrid. Even a 1-0 loss in Germany should see us through as we beat them 3-1. Which is nice.

Good point.

My only fear is that Dortmund are a very good side and could squeeze a draw or even a win against Real Madrid.
I'm not saying we can't beat I think they are better equipped to spring a surprise..

From BBC Live Text last night...

"How many more will Liverpool score? And there's no way Spurs will hold out Dortmund..."

giphy.gif

If we'd have lost last night my phone would have been buzzing with Spam fans having a pop like it always does when we have negative results in Europe , I see it as a game of top trumps where I hold the most powerful card Astra GoGo!

From BBC Live Text last night...

"How many more will Liverpool score? And there's no way Spurs will hold out Dortmund..."

giphy.gif

On the subject of Liverpool did anyone see Klopp berating the Seville manager at the end of the game? He threw the ball away a couple of times when he went out for a throw in trying to kill time which is irritating - ref sent him to the stands - but Klopp's reaction at the end was just plain embarrassing and over the top.

Alli's suspension helped. Son offered that counter attack option....

I've said it since the end of last season, Son and Kane play better in a 3-4-3 and it helps the team be more ruthless. Unfortunately it means one of Alli or Eriksen need to drop out to help the counter-attacking style. Both Eriksen and Alli lack the direct pace in behind on the wing that Son provides and play in too similar a position, especially when we have high wing-backs. I thought Eriksen played very well last night, but I also think Alli would have played very well too if Eriksen was dropped/suspended in that system.

Back
Top Bottom