TAG AND SOS

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why are you so hung up on the Wenger part?
Why cant you simply look at the number of every single other clubs managers in the last 20 years and get the point?

Im not one of those people who goes through life pretending Im not disapointed by certain things because "lifes too short".

If my car gets stolen, Im still annoyed and pissed off even though there are people starving in the world.
Spurs lose 6-0 at City, should I celebrate because at least Im not a Syrian refugee..?

Nonsense outlook.
You've taken me saying i don't care about your opinion on a managerial sacking that has almost 0 effect on me, and compared it to your car being stolen and being a syrian refugee.

Anyone else id be impressed but its pretty much par for the course for you.

Sam, whoever comes and goes. Whoever signs or leaves. Whatever gets built and knocked down. Barring armageddon, there will be a Tottenham Hotspur football club playing football every weekend for 9 months of the year. And every now and then, somethings going to happen that will make you, and others like you, feel that its game over. But i promise you, it won't be. The football will continue and the club we love will go on. We might drop down 6 leagues and field a team of people entirely from enfield, but it will go on.

The majority of things that go on the club, are futile and meaningless to us as fans. And that leaves two options. A) Join the club, the trust, a movement, start your own supporters trust. Whatever. Do what you have to do to change it. Work your way up, start a consortium, buy the club, put yourself in charge.
Or option B) Accept shit is going to happen. You are not in charge of the destiny of a club that is much bigger than yourself. You can realise the futility of fighting constantly against something you have absolutely no control over. The pointlessness of being angry at a system you choose to indulge yourself in. The ultimate meaninglessness of football and sport on a whole as a concept. And just enjoy the good times when they come along.

Its all about context. Im sure winning the league feels great. Maybe one day i'll find out. But i can honestly say, i don't think many chelsea fans felt as amazing winning the league last season, as i did when Adebayor scored in the 69th minute against Dnipro, to put us 3-1 up on aggregate and take us through to the next round.

What do you invest your time in football for, sam? Moaning on the internet about net spends to strangers, or moments like that? The moments where you're one man in a crowd, of 30'000+ others. Where in pretty much any other situation you'd feel insignificant, and yet, against all the odds, you feel powerful, like your voice matters, and makes a difference.

Some people say its just a game. And when i see some of the utmost bollocks people say on here, i start to agree. But you catch it at the right time, at the right place. Its so, so much more than a game. And if you're too fixated on board members and booing, you can really miss the wood for the trees.

I really don't understand how some of you manage to take such an interest in something that makes you all so miserable.
Couldn't agree more

Those things aren't happening at City, tbf
It was clearly an exaggeration, but we will have no more control, if not less, over our club than we do now. If that is ok providing we have success, then we're on different wavelengths. Manchester City, New York City, Melbourne City...all with effectively the same badge and same kit. What a club. What an owner.

Fuck all identity. Fuck all passion. Fuck all atmosphere. Fuck all.

Handing out chant sheets to NYC fans...did you see the chants?

Embarrassing mate. Utterly embarrassing to be involved in that ownership. Look at the Lampard deal. Shady as fuck.

Mansour is everything that is wrong in modern football. We shouldn't be craving owners like that. We should be driving them out of football.

No we're not doing badly but we've been in positions where a slight push could have got us in a much better position.

They wanted the Olympic Stadium.

Right I'm having a break as I'm actually going to watch the San Marino v England game & listen to how destroying the them 3:0 means that we will win the Euros next year.
You're kidding yourself if you think its a slight push.

The last time it was truly a slight push was when we should have finished third and then managed to fuck it up. The gap between us and the top 4 is huge. The wage bill between us and the club above us, is twice the size as between us and the next team below us.

2013/14 WAGE BILLS (£M)
1 MANCHESTER UNITED 215
2 MANCHESTER CITY 205
3 CHELSEA 192.7
4 Woolwich 166.4
5 LIVERPOOL 144
6 TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR 100.4
7 NEWCASTLE UNITED 78.3
8 QUEENS PARK RANGERS 75.3
9 SUNDERLAND 69.5
10 ASTON VILLA 69.3
11 EVERTON 69.3
12 WEST BROMWICH ALBION 65.4
13 WEST HAM UNITED 63.9
14 SWANSEA CITY 62.3
15 STOKE CITY 60.6
16 SOUTHAMPTON 55.2
17 CRYSTAL PALACE 45.7
18 HULL CITY 43.3
19 LEICESTER CITY 36.3
20 BURNLEY 21.5

What do you invest your time in football for, sam? Moaning on the internet about net spends to strangers, or moments like that? The moments where you're one man in a crowd, of 30'000+ others. Where in pretty much any other situation you'd feel insignificant, and yet, against all the odds, you feel powerful, like your voice matters, and makes a difference.

Some people say its just a game. And when i see some of the utmost bollocks people say on here, i start to agree. But you catch it at the right time, at the right place. Its so, so much more than a game. And if you're too fixated on board members and booing, you can really miss the wood for the trees.

You claim its so much more than a game, but then you say its only sometimes you feel that way.
I guess thats why you dont uunderstand what Im complaining about and why.

When Im at the game, and we are playing dog shit football, I dont see it as some amazing experience because there´s a crowd around me.

Fuck all identity. Fuck all passion. Fuck all atmosphere. Fuck all.

Handing out chant sheets to NYC fans...did you see the chants?

Embarrassing mate. Utterly embarrassing to be involved in that ownership. Look at the Lampard deal. Shady as fuck.

Mansour is everything that is wrong in modern football. We shouldn't be craving owners like that. We should be driving them out of football.

Yet if it happened here, you would just have to lap it up and an applaud right?

God forbid you protested and spoke up against a regime you were not happy with eh....

You're kidding yourself if you think its a slight push.

The last time it was truly a slight push was when we should have finished third and then managed to fuck it up. The gap between us and the top 4 is huge. The wage bill between us and the club above us, is twice the size as between us and the next team below us.

2013/14 WAGE BILLS (£M)
1 MANCHESTER UNITED 215
2 MANCHESTER CITY 205
3 CHELSEA 192.7
4 Woolwich 166.4
5 LIVERPOOL 144
6 TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR 100.4
7 NEWCASTLE UNITED 78.3
8 QUEENS PARK RANGERS 75.3
9 SUNDERLAND 69.5
10 ASTON VILLA 69.3
11 EVERTON 69.3
12 WEST BROMWICH ALBION 65.4
13 WEST HAM UNITED 63.9
14 SWANSEA CITY 62.3
15 STOKE CITY 60.6
16 SOUTHAMPTON 55.2
17 CRYSTAL PALACE 45.7
18 HULL CITY 43.3
19 LEICESTER CITY 36.3
20 BURNLEY 21.5
And we currently break even with all the high ticket prices and corporate BS that ENIC have the team do. So if the new owner took over and paid the third highest wages in the league, to get us into the Champions League and didnt change anything else. they would lose 1/2 a billion pounds in 5 years. Seriously, any takers out there? I am desperate for a name

And we currently break even with all the high ticket prices and corporate BS that ENIC have the team do. So if the new owner took over and paid the third highest wages in the league, to get us into the Champions League and didnt change anything else. they would lose 1/2 a billion pounds in 5 years. Seriously, any takers out there? I am desperate for a name
Ive got a spurs piggy bank with about a £1 in pennies. Willing to do my bit to chip in.

What a lovely thread :avbhumph:

Interesting - you will stop going to games to make Levy sell - but will retch when we're bought by a Sheikh or American corporation? Not many people out there with £1b ready to invest in Tottenham simply because they love the club.

Sounds like you want the perfect owner...there's not many of them out there and I don't think there's a cat in hell's chance we'll end up with one.

Out of curiosity - would you rather Levy or Mansour?

Hello mate....That's like asking me how I'd prefer to die - drowning or burning....!

I don't think it's unreasonable to wish for a "normal" owner.... Levy is at one end of the scale, Mansour at the other. Why can't I have an owner that increases spending in line with revenue growth and doesn't squeeze it for every penny, sacrificing long term success for short term gain? And why is it unreasonable not to desire a sugar daddy who throws billions at it, making a mockery of the game and creating twat footballers who leave if you don't give them a birthday cake?

Could you give an example of a club you'd like to mimic?

Tickets...a contentious issue for sure. Given the demand, I can understand the prices. A waiting list of how many tens of thousands? Our stadium fills up every week. They're not going to lower the prices out of the goodness of their hearts, that isn't modern football I'm afraid. If people are willing to pay it, they're going to charge it. Is it right? Maybe not, but from a business standpoint it's a no brainer.

Football has changed. Expecting free scarves and not getting them is not a slight on Levy, it's top level football as a whole.

I understand, ENIC are not perfect owners - far from it. They don't always do good business, they don't always make the right decisions. I don't know owners that don't fall into that category.

I struggle to think of another Premier League club I'd like to swap owners with.
Anything except Chelsea, Man City, and more recently Man Utd (who were run superbly until 2 years ago). It fucking hurts to say it but Woolwich are run way better than we are.

Yet if it happened here, you would just have to lap it up and an applaud right?

God forbid you protested and spoke up against a regime you were not happy with eh....
Eh? Where did I say that?

Hello mate....That's like asking me how I'd prefer to die - drowning or burning....!

I don't think it's unreasonable to wish for a "normal" owner.... Levy is at one end of the scale, Mansour at the other. Why can't I have an owner that increases spending in line with revenue growth and doesn't squeeze it for every penny, sacrificing long term success for short term gain? And why is it unreasonable not to desire a sugar daddy who throws billions at it, making a mockery of the game and creating twat footballers who leave if you don't give them a birthday cake?
:ade:Hi mate!

I don't disagree we'd all love a 'normal' owner. But point one out to me! I can't find one. Swansea maybe? West Brom? Palace? I dunno. All of them have their faults still. None are spending what our fans would be happy with!

I don't want to bring it up again, but spending is not just on players. Hotspur Way and the stadium to date I imagine has cost tens, if not hundreds of millions. That gets forgotten. Not many other clubs (in the world) have the facilities we do.

Anything except Chelsea, Man City, and more recently Man Utd (who were run superbly until 2 years ago). It fucking hurts to say it but Woolwich are run way better than we are.
Woolwich are run similarly, but just 10 years ahead of us. They dip in the market sometimes but don't touch it at others. Our fans would be pissed off (just like theirs are now) if we had them instead of Levy. The Glazers again are fuckin terrible for United, with the debt burden they've put on the club. Agree they were well run before (longer than 2 years ago though).

Anyone but City,Chelsea and United. Newcastle then? Hull (Tigers!)? Sunderland? West Ham? Everton? Villa? I'd take Levy over all of those, every day of the week.

Anyway, to more pressing matters - drowning or burning?:adegrin:

Just another point. Imagine if someone high up within Spurs said we had £200m in the bank and all Poch bought was a GK (when we had 2 already).

White Hart Lane would have been burned to the ground the moment deadline day came to a close.

Just another point. Imagine if someone high up within Spurs said we had £200m in the bank and all Poch bought was a GK (when we had 2 already).

White Hart Lane would have been burned to the ground the moment deadline day came to a close.
Haha.... Yeah true. But Wenger has a point when he says it's hard to improve his squad without spunking silly money (we don't need silly money to improve ours!) and he refuses to gamble with the Martials like LVG has done.

Eh? Where did I say that?

:ade:Hi mate!

I don't disagree we'd all love a 'normal' owner. But point one out to me! I can't find one. Swansea maybe? West Brom? Palace? I dunno. All of them have their faults still. None are spending what our fans would be happy with!

I don't want to bring it up again, but spending is not just on players. Hotspur Way and the stadium to date I imagine has cost tens, if not hundreds of millions. That gets forgotten. Not many other clubs (in the world) have the facilities we do.

Woolwich are run similarly, but just 10 years ahead of us. They dip in the market sometimes but don't touch it at others. Our fans would be pissed off (just like theirs are now) if we had them instead of Levy. The Glazers again are fuckin terrible for United, with the debt burden they've put on the club. Agree they were well run before (longer than 2 years ago though).

Anyone but City,Chelsea and United. Newcastle then? Hull (Tigers!)? Sunderland? West Ham? Everton? Villa? I'd take Levy over all of those, every day of the week.

Anyway, to more pressing matters - drowning or burning?:adegrin:
I don't think the Glazers are THAT bad but they are fucked as soon as they don't qualify for the champions league due to the debt burden.

Yeah, most owners aren't amazing but most do realize a football club has other stakeholders than the owners and therefore look after the fans a bit more.

Re Levy / ENIC having done some good things.... The difficult issue is that it's impossible to see the counter factual - I think less short-termist owners would have spent more on the squad. You can argue almost everything Levy has done is to make us a more saleable asset.

The difficulty is that in a capitalist democracy we have to accept that football clubs can be bought or sold freely and the owners can do what they fuck they like. Until their customers vote with their feet. Hence my original suggestion that the only way to make Levy pay attention is to stop filling the coffers.

I'm afraid we weren't.

Well I'm afraid we were. With a bit more conviction, bottle, desire, whatever was needed to get the result, it was within our capability. We have the players, however, they seem to not apply themselves to the job in hand. Whether that is players mentality or poor coaching, the talent is there and waiting to happen. Poch needs to step up as well.

I know.... And what's worse, I think we shouldeading that way - Levy is trying to do this but isn't concentrating enough on the quality on the pitch.
Woolwich had the advantage of 10 years of winning trophies, Wenger and no man city to compete with. Personally I think if he pulls if off it will be a miracle and we should name a street after him

Back
Top Bottom