Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Years of ENIC have institutionalized them. They can’t be happy with a transfer unless it’s deemed as “good value”.
Started a whole thing about this yesterday. Not our money who cares, show some ambition, we are a rich club, fans pay a premium, why are we always penny pinching?
The usual suspects shot me down with words that could have come straight out of ENICS mouth
I get we don’t have a sports washer owner so we can’t go and sign everyone but the need to get value from every single transfer is quite frankly weird as fuck. Freaks

I doubt that Spurs are seriously interested in him mainly due to various "financial reason"

Ansu Fati 'chooses to leave Barcelona with Premier League clubs including Manchester United, Woolwich and Tottenham on red alert'​

• Ansu Fati has reportedly decided that he wants to leave Barcelona this summer
  • The winger has fallen down the pecking order at Barcelona under manager Xavi
  • WATCH: 'It's All Kicking Off' - Episode 1 - Mail Sport's brand new football show
By JEORGE BIRD FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 18:51 BST, 16 August 2023 | UPDATED: 19:41 BST, 16 August 2023

Ansu Fati has reportedly elected to leave Barcelona, with the winger's interest set to spark interest from Premier League clubs.
As reported by AS Sport, Fati feels that he isn't trusted by Barcelona manager Xavi, as demonstrated by the fact that he didn't come on until the 79th minute against Getafe in the opening game of the season.
Manchester United, Woolwich and Tottenham are among the Premier League sides that have been linked with a move for Fati.

Hope we steer well clear, amazing talent but his legs don't work. We don't need any more players who can't stay fit.

I am and always would be more interested in United v Burnley than United v Atletico. I've always been more interested in EPL matches than any other matches or other competitions, and I doubt I'm alone in that. It might be 'older skool' (I'm 48 btw), so it may change over time, but I very much doubt I'm alone in feeling that way at present and for the foreseeable future. Just saying. :)
100% same. Rather watch non league football than shit like Atletico, zero interest in their diving, slow and laboured nonsense

The dregs of the PL are so far financially behind the clubs that would make up the last ESL clubs in the gate, there's simply no comparison
The question is the format.
While the clubs might be more attractive in themselves, does anyone care about an end of season game between a 12th and a 15th place team in a perpetual league?
Would you rather watch the 4-11 Bengals vs 5-10 Jaguars or the Grey Cup Final. I’ll take the latter even if the standard is lower as there’s a meaningful game being played.

Ansu doesn’t have a meniscus and looks declined from his previous level especially physically. It’s a yes from me purely for talent, but it’s leaning towards no for me on paying £55m for such a walking health risk.

Telling that Barca are OK with selling their prized academy jewel.

Last edited:

According to Gazzetta dello Sport (14/08/23 as relayed by Sport Witness), Napoli have already made a lot of progress in their talks with Tottenham over a deal for Giovani Lo Celso.

Lo Celso was one of Tottenham’s stand-out players during pre-season and Ange Postecoglou has admitted that the Argentine fits very well to the style of play he wants to implement at the North London club (Football.London).

However, it appears that Napoli are not giving up on their pursuit of the midfielder, with Gazzetta indicating that the Serie A side want to sign the player on an initial loan deal with an option to buy, similar to the Tanguy Ndombele deal last summer.

In fact, the outlet asserts that talks between Tottenham and the Italian club over Lo Celso are ‘already well advanced’ but they were suspended for a while as the Premier League side were focused on Harry Kane’s sale to Bayern.

It suggested that with the Kane move out of the way, Spurs and Napoli are now set to ‘resume’ their discussions over the 27-year-old in the ‘coming days’.

Spurs Web Opinion

I cannot see Tottenham considering offloading Lo Celso unless the club bring in an attacking midfielder such as Brennan Johnson or Eberechi Eze through the door over the next couple of weeks. As things stand, the Argentine is Ange Postecoglou’s main cover for James Maddison.

Lo Celso has 2 years left on his contract and Spurs are unlikely to want to renew on his high wages.

Lo Celso is well known enough to give a value to, so why would Spurs be interested in a loan with option to buy ? Might be worth a loan with obligation to buy, at right price which might be £30m - £40m but absolutely no chance of loan with option to buy.

Napoli had Ndombele with a loan and option to buy last season - but no sensible offer came, hence Ndombele back with us. No chance we should fall for Napoli again - its got CL money so needs to just pa up

... the need to get value from every single transfer is quite frankly weird as fuck. ...
Really? Without getting into the whole boring done-a-thousand-times-over ENIC debate here, let's just consider the above sentence. So: wanting an organisation we care about, and whose future we care about, to get good value when spending its money, is weird? Can you not see how ludicrous that sounds?

I get we don’t have a sports washer owner so we can’t go and sign everyone but the need to get value from every single transfer is quite frankly weird as fuck. Freaks

I just want to see great players playing for our club. If we can get them cheapish, great but most of the time top players cost big money

I doubt that Spurs are seriously interested in him mainly due to various "financial reason"

Ansu Fati 'chooses to leave Barcelona with Premier League clubs including Manchester United, Woolwich and Tottenham on red alert'​

• Ansu Fati has reportedly decided that he wants to leave Barcelona this summer
  • The winger has fallen down the pecking order at Barcelona under manager Xavi
  • WATCH: 'It's All Kicking Off' - Episode 1 - Mail Sport's brand new football show
By JEORGE BIRD FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 18:51 BST, 16 August 2023 | UPDATED: 19:41 BST, 16 August 2023

Ansu Fati has reportedly elected to leave Barcelona, with the winger's interest set to spark interest from Premier League clubs.
As reported by AS Sport, Fati feels that he isn't trusted by Barcelona manager Xavi, as demonstrated by the fact that he didn't come on until the 79th minute against Getafe in the opening game of the season.
Manchester United, Woolwich and Tottenham are among the Premier League sides that have been linked with a move for Fati.
His stocks fallen so low (mainly due to injuries) I think it's more likely we could see him at westham

I just want to see great players playing for our club. If we can get them cheapish, great but most of the time top players cost big money
At least we're getting somewhere with this post - somewhat more sensible than those basically saying we shouldn't care if incoming players are good value (!) This in turn obviously leads to another debate about what we can afford, what we should spend, etc, but at least it's a more sensible debate than anyone suggesting we shouldn't care about getting good value! :)

EDIT: We do have to remember though that whilst there have been lots of very expensive successes (in all clubs I mean), there have also been lots of expensive failures. Conversely, many of the best players we've seen in the last 20 years have been cheap purchases in the last transfer before they hit their peak. Now, in terms of probability, you probably do have a better chance of getting a top player if the general consensus is that his market value at time of purchase £100m compared to a player whose market value was thought to be £10m, and I expect that's what you're getting at. And sometimes we pay top money - N'Dombele being an example - but presumably your point is that we just don't try it often enough, is that fair?

Last edited:
Really? Without getting into the whole boring done-a-thousand-times-over ENIC debate here, let's just consider the above sentence. So: wanting an organisation we care about, and whose future we care about, to get good value when spending its money, is weird? Can you not see how ludicrous that sounds?
Im taking about seeking value on every transfer as a prerequisite, that’s what’s fucking weird. If Ange wants Tabsoba, the data guys think he’s good and the fee is 65m (20m more than ‘value’), I do not care - do it

I wanna see us make smart, good value signings on promising players, but there are times when that needs to coupled with ‘paying what it’ takes for a key player. We’ve failed to do that, and instead gone second tier and ended up with expensive flops

Im taking about seeking value on every transfer as a prerequisite, that’s what’s fucking weird

I wanna see us make smart, good value signings on promising players, but there are times when that needs to coupled with paying what it takes for a key player. We’ve failed to do that, and instead gone second tier and ended up with expensive flops
It's not weird at all, it's surely extremely sensible in any business to try to get good value when you spend money. Maybe I'm misunderstading you, or maybe you're not explaining yourself well, but there is nothing inherently wrong in trying to get good value. (That doesn't necessarily negate the other points you make - it was just that sentence that 'bothered' me earlier).

Last edited:
Im taking about seeking value on every transfer as a prerequisite, that’s what’s fucking weird. If Ange wants Tabsoba, the data guys think he’s good and the fee is 65m (20m more than ‘value’), I do not care - do it

I wanna see us make smart, good value signings on promising players, but there are times when that needs to coupled with paying what it takes for a key player. We’ve failed to do that, and instead gone second tier and ended up with expensive flops
Selling clubs want to extract as much value as they can from their assets. There is no fixed price. There are a series of negotiations where the seller tries to figure out the maximum that the buying club is willing to pay (and vice versa).

This is not like buying something on Amazon.

Selling clubs want to extract as much value as they can from their assets. There is no fixed price. There are a series of negotiations where the seller tries to figure out the maximum that the buying club is willing to pay (and vice versa).

This is not like buying something on Amazon.
Who mentioned fixed price? Who mentioned amazon? Are you on crack?

It's not weird at all, it's surely extremely sensible in any business to try to get good value when you spend money. Maybe I'm misunderstading you, or maybe you're not explaining yourself well, but there is nothing inherently wrong in trying to get good value. (That doesn't necessarily negate the other points you make - it was just that sentence that 'bothered' me).

Yes but the primary goal for a football club is to win trophies.

If you put anything before that, including getting good value on every purchase, then you aren't an honest football club.

And let's be real, it's impossible to get great value on every purchase but winning things makes every purchase look more valuable.

That's part of the reason Cit sell their duds for great prices and City used to.

It's not weird at all, it's surely extremely sensible in any business to try to get good value when you spend money. Maybe I'm misunderstading you, or maybe you're not explaining yourself well, but there is nothing inherently wrong in trying to get good value. (That doesn't necessarily negate the other points you make - it was just that sentence that 'bothered' me).
I want a balance of good value and good players. Sometimes good players won’t be good value and I don’t care if we pay over the odds. Seeking value on every deal and missing out on top players is not for me

Back
Top Bottom