Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.

This alludes to their already being a clause in EHs contract when he first joined BVB.

I can't find reference to the exact amount, but it was always accepted that BVB only got the jump on him as from day one the clause meant that they'd only have him for a short period of time and wouldn't make a massive profit on him.

It was all meticulously managed by Raiola from day one.

> RBS - 8m release clause
> BVB - 20m release clause
> Man C - 60m (reduced to 50m)

A release clause of 100 - 150m (whatever you said it was) would have hampered all that strategy; but it also wouldn't have put off Man U from buying him in 2019 as the much higher amount would have only reflected his perceived future value anyway.

This alludes to their already being a clause in EHs contract when he first joined BVB.

I can't find reference to the exact amount, but it was always accepted that BVB only got the jump on him as from day one the clause meant that they'd only have him for a short period of time and wouldn't make a massive profit on him.

It was all meticulously managed by Raiola from day one.

> RBS - 8m release clause
> BVB - 20m release clause
> Man C - 60m (reduced to 50m)

A release clause of 100 - 150m (whatever you said it was) would have hampered all that strategy; but it also wouldn't have put off Man U from buying him in 2019 as the much higher amount would have only reflected his perceived future value anyway.
Makes for an interesting comparison to his compatriot and similarly aged wunderkind Odegaard who signed long-term for the glitz and glamour of Real Madrid at a tender age and then got lost in a kaleidoscope of loan moves for a number of years.

Talent wins out at the end of the day, but a smart young player in this day and age can control their career in a way that wasn't previously considered.

Rumours are he has some sort of release clause with City that would support this case.

Again...... How much for would aid or damage the credibility of such a rumour.......

(As per earlier in the discussion the Haaland/Raiola strategy was keep his trf fee as low as poss using clauses.......... If his clause is eg 100m now; there's no way it was the same or even more in 2019.)

Point being his transfer fee was 50m while the cost was probably 150m +. That's not reflected in the table

Not disputed that (and certainly not 'defending' the spending of City! LOL)...... Just pointing out that wages and agent fees are a factor for every trf so it's a rapidly slippery slope to start factoring them into some club's net spend and not others.

I mean, the details are cloudy at best.

I guess we can all agree that the transfer didn't cost City 60m.

In terms of trf fee....... £51m (presumably €60m)

The fact remains factoring in wages and agent fees for one club but no-one else is a slippery slope that renders the net spend comparisons moot.

Last edited:
Not in a net spend table, no.

But it does count toward FFP, so it's not some shady under the table thing.

City didn't sign Haaland because they had some unique riches to do so, City signed Haaland because Haaland chose City and Pep as the next step in his career, he and his representatives have managed his development to give him that freedom of choice all along.

He'd have never dreamed of going to a mess like PSG. Bottomless resources is only one piece of the superclub puzzle.
I agree with all that, I was only speaking about true cost of a transfer, haaland is a special case due to the way he set up his contract. Mbappe would be the same

Great , perhaps he can bring Lenglet with him ................................................ or not

I though after bailing on Villa he professed his dedication to FCB.......?

All sounds a bit odd....

Said before though; is he really the guy for us?

Barca is hardly the Spurs model........

Back
Top Bottom