Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.

View: https://x.com/deadlinedaylive/status/1691806988362006971?s=46&t=DK3x3JffKkqwqcsQdIeO_A

That’s what? Approx €250m less ambitious than our worst rivals in the last 5 years? Despite having the same revenue or better and already having the best #9 in the world at your club, begging to be supported to win trophies?

Levy needs to leave this football club

Not to defend the bloke but we have had about 150m in interest payments on the stadium in that time and Kane aside we have not received much in the way of outgoings.

They did their Poch run, let their team grow old together rather than rock the boat and now a big rebuild is needed
City has been doing the same though. They do replace one or two first teamers annually, but if you look at their starting XI, most have been around for a while. They just do it more strategically and are an "easy decision" for players to join, so they usually get their first choice players.

I think it’s very much like golf. Most clubs outside the PL are bleeding money and Saudi billions offered for CL participation would most likely be received warmly. Everything’s for sale.

But nobody is asking why the Saudi's would want a business where the clubs bleed money??

No sports teams turn a profit vs revenue but as investments, they almost end up with positive equity...

How do you feel about this window?

I think "moderately successful" is the phrase that comes to mind. Maddison is an excellent signing and a midfield 3 with Bissouma and Bentancur is an exciting prospect. Vicario wasn't our first choice but still promises to be a good goalkeeper. Van der Ven adds some pace to our back-line. We've had windows before where we've spent a lot of money on players who haven't made a dent on the first team (last summer and the summer of 07 are the ones that spring to mind) but in this one we've bought players that will improve weak areas of the team and they're also players that are in line with what the manager wants.

Sadly, this improvement in our recruitment has been too little, too late for Harry Kane. I can't fault the deal we negotiated for him. We secured a record transfer fee for a player with only one year left on his contract and we've sold him to a club outside the Premier League. It's a tragedy that we won't get to see him play in our new Postecoglou team but it is what it is. Ultimately, it's in the club's best interest that the Kane situation has finally been resolved.

I applaud the club's reluctance to reinvest the Kane money on another striker straight away. It's more important that we focus on improving the defence and getting goals from other areas of the team. There is no such thing as a replacement for Harry Kane. Maddison is the closest thing we have and we'll be able to do a much better job of signing another striker when we've got a better idea of the type of striker that will fit in with Postecoglou's team rather than buying one in a panic and hoping it works out.

Still a lot of players that need to be moved on. I think we should do the decent thing and release Lloris from his contract. He has served the club as captain and distinguished player for many years and deserves better than the Departure Lounge. It's shameful to try and scrooge out a transfer fee for him.

I'll be generous and give this window a 7. There is more work to be done but for the first time in years the club seems to be moving in the right direction.
It would be moderately successful if we hadn't just sold our greatest ever player. We need to add at least one more PL-ready player who can be a difference maker. If Maddison were to go down with a serious injury, at the moment, I think we could be in real trouble this season.

But nobody is asking why the Saudi's would want a business where the clubs bleed money??

No sports teams turn a profit vs revenue but as investments, they almost end up with positive equity...
The Saudis are obviously craving something else, as money is no issue for them. They want geopolitical power, influence, and to hide away the darker edges of their regime with the star power of the world's greatest game.

So, City seem to be going for Doku as their wing signing. Apparently PSG eyeing up Muani and Bradley Barcola. Apparently Lyon need a sale.. I wonder if there's a doable deal to be done for Barcola. Since bus-conductor bus-conductor mentioned him I've been kinda blown away by how productive he is.
Bradley Bacola sounds like a member of Tony Soprano’s crew

Not to defend the bloke but we have had about 150m in interest payments on the stadium in that time and Kane aside we have not received much in the way of outgoings.

This time 5 years ago we were still building the stadium and paying 18months rent at Wembley too.

How do you feel about this window?

I think "moderately successful" is the phrase that comes to mind. Maddison is an excellent signing and a midfield 3 with Bissouma and Bentancur is an exciting prospect. Vicario wasn't our first choice but still promises to be a good goalkeeper. Van der Ven adds some pace to our back-line. We've had windows before where we've spent a lot of money on players who haven't made a dent on the first team (last summer and the summer of 07 are the ones that spring to mind) but in this one we've bought players that will improve weak areas of the team and they're also players that are in line with what the manager wants.

Sadly, this improvement in our recruitment has been too little, too late for Harry Kane. I can't fault the deal we negotiated for him. We secured a record transfer fee for a player with only one year left on his contract and we've sold him to a club outside the Premier League. It's a tragedy that we won't get to see him play in our new Postecoglou team but it is what it is. Ultimately, it's in the club's best interest that the Kane situation has finally been resolved.

I applaud the club's reluctance to reinvest the Kane money on another striker straight away. It's more important that we focus on improving the defence and getting goals from other areas of the team. There is no such thing as a replacement for Harry Kane. Maddison is the closest thing we have and we'll be able to do a much better job of signing another striker when we've got a better idea of the type of striker that will fit in with Postecoglou's team rather than buying one in a panic and hoping it works out.

Still a lot of players that need to be moved on. I think we should do the decent thing and release Lloris from his contract. He has served the club as captain and distinguished player for many years and deserves better than the Departure Lounge. It's shameful to try and scrooge out a transfer fee for him.

I'll be generous and give this window a 7. There is more work to be done but for the first time in years the club seems to be moving in the right direction.

This is the 3rd successive season's transfer windows where it looks like we'll end it having brought in about 6 first team squad players (25% of a total squad).

Way, way better than any of the last 5 seasons 2016/17, 2017/18, 2018/19 or 2019/20 or 2020/21, where we struggled to get more than one or two

and its pretty certain the last 3 seasons additions will form about 18 of our firs team squad with maybe half a dozen players from pre 20/21.

So a definite solid 7/10 for this transfer window.

21/22
22/23
23/24
GoliniForsterVicario
Royal
Romero
Udogie
Spence
Porro
Van de Ven
(Phillips)
Bentancur
Sarr
BissoumaMaddison
Kulusevski
Gil
Richarlison
Perisic
Solomon
Veliz

Last edited:

Sports-washing motives accepted; the end game for the Saudi's is to own a significant stake in the game itself; at least as far as it being an entertainment industry is concerned....... They don't give a fuck about the sport itself.

Last edited:
It would be moderately successful if we hadn't just sold our greatest ever player. We need to add at least one more PL-ready player who can be a difference maker. If Maddison were to go down with a serious injury, at the moment, I think we could be in real trouble this season.
I think we'll struggle to get anyone better than Lo Celso to play second fiddle to Maddison. At the end of the day, key players are called key players for a reason.

The end game for the Saudi's is to own a significant stake in the game itself; at least as far as it being an entertainment industry is concerned....... They don't give a fuck about the sport itself.
Yep. Including having one of the major sporting bodies based there. They were throwing mega bucks at anyone connected to ICC to set up there a few years ago. I think long game is move fifa to Saudi..

In all fairness the whore-ish tendencies of both FIFA & UEFA make it perfectly plausible that they'd go for the 'now dollar' now and worry about the 'later dollar' later.

Apparently Saudi have already started making overtures to UEFA regarding making them 'honorary' participants in the CL........ Once in the CL and their WC is signed and sealed (which seems inevitable) then there's nothing to stop them joining the plans - alongside key agitators like Juve & Barca - for any break-away into a ESL....... In fact, one would assume them to be mora than keen to part (or fully!) fund such a project.

Sure, but in that case they would be conspiring with clubs against UEFA.

And they (Saudis) may be using this as leverage against UEFA (the same way the G14/ECA used exactly the same leverage on UEFA to get them to hobble new money clubs to protect their hegemony).

If the ESL happens, then all bets are off I guess, as money will talk, but I can’t see UEFA (or the powerful clubs) wanting super rich Saudi clubs competing against them in the CL.

We will have the same interest payments for how many years from now on?

I may be wrong but wouldn't woolwich also have a stadium to pay off every year as well?

The Arse stadium build strategy involved selling all their best players during the process........ I doubt too many here would have welcomed that.......

Essentially, Kane, Eriksen, Jan, Toby, Son all gone before we got to see that team blossom..... Poch probably fucks off.... No CL final... No top 3 finishes.... No CL income aiding the build leading to an even longer period of austerity and no fun times to tide us through that period....

No thanks.

Back
Top Bottom