Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
The Arse stadium build strategy involved selling all their best players during the process........ I doubt too many here would have welcomed that.......

Essentially, Kane, Eriksen, Jan, Toby, Son all gone before we got to see that team blossom..... Poch probably fucks off.... No CL final... No top 3 finishes.... No CL income aiding the build leading to an even longer period of austerity and no fun times to tide us through that period....

No thanks.

Well, we have now sold, Eriksen, Kane, Dele, Jan, Toby, Dembele... so, we pretty much have sold our best players and are yet to replace the team that we had when we moved into the stadium.

They can't be a part of the CL, so it stands to reason that the Super League would rival the CL in interest if the biggest clubs were a part of it. Need proof - look what they did with LIV Golf. Started buying all the best players, got TV deals, and then essentially bought the PGA a year later. The Saudi's will buy as much talent as they can and then make the argument that they are one of the best leagues in the world. Then we'd likely see Al-Hilal and Al-Nassar in the SL
Is a false equivalent. You can't compare golf, where you can entice the best players to play in it, because they'll be playing each other regardless of the organization the tournaments are organized by, to a sport with teams in numerous FAs in numerous countries and already set trophies with prestige that goes back decades.

Much more difficult to replicate in football what they did in golf.

Well, we have now sold, Eriksen, Kane, Dele, Jan, Toby, Dembele... so, we pretty much have sold our best players and are yet to replace the team that we had when we moved into the stadium.

(Meh... We enjoyed the peak of every one of those players........ You make it sound like we cynically cashed in on them and trousered the cash, FFS!.)

Are you suggesting the upside to that era means nothing to you?

For me they were the most fun and most prolonged good times I've ever experienced on the terraces.

Would I swap that period just to say we're on par with the Scum in the painfully tedious 'net spend wars'? ..........No; I sure as fuck wouldn't!

Anges strikers tend to have very little touches in comparison to the rest of the players on the pitch. Play on the last shoulder and look to score one of the many chances we should ideally be creating for them.

Orbans skills are his finishing ability.

Uh huh. Ok. I know very little about Orban and very little about Ange’s striker philosophy. You thought he would want a more fulcrum type to hold up and bring others into the game, a Firminho type eg.

That’s a bit disappointing if true. I’m not a fan of the Bent, Defoe genre at all.

Absolutely.

Based on the way they govern, it's probably a safe bet they want a controlling stake.
What with the global demonising of Oil, and the push to greener futures they realise their tap of money is going to dry up somewhat, so better to funnel that enormous pile of cash into another revenue stream, what better than the global #1 sport of football.

They already own or have stakes in the biggest clubs in Europe and are buying more, now having their own league is a natural progression.

However with that said I'm skeptical of the future and success of their newly invented league, bit like the Chinese league, football has deep history in Europe and South America etc, it's a tribal game, families are divided over it, blood is spilt over it, it has taken many years to become the beast it is today.

Simply inventing a new league with teams means sod all if there's no history and reason to support other than some aging star names on the team sheets. No one wants to watch games in empty stadiums, and culturally there's a huge difference between Europe clubs and their vision.

How many European teams have global fans that relish the idea of getting the full match day experience of going to the ground and a pub before or after etc, people travel round the world to watch premier league games and experience this, you won't get a similar experience with their new found league.

How do you feel about this window?

I think "moderately successful" is the phrase that comes to mind. Maddison is an excellent signing and a midfield 3 with Bissouma and Bentancur is an exciting prospect. Vicario wasn't our first choice but still promises to be a good goalkeeper. Van der Ven adds some pace to our back-line. We've had windows before where we've spent a lot of money on players who haven't made a dent on the first team (last summer and the summer of 07 are the ones that spring to mind) but in this one we've bought players that will improve weak areas of the team and they're also players that are in line with what the manager wants.

Sadly, this improvement in our recruitment has been too little, too late for Harry Kane. I can't fault the deal we negotiated for him. We secured a record transfer fee for a player with only one year left on his contract and we've sold him to a club outside the Premier League. It's a tragedy that we won't get to see him play in our new Postecoglou team but it is what it is. Ultimately, it's in the club's best interest that the Kane situation has finally been resolved.

I applaud the club's reluctance to reinvest the Kane money on another striker straight away. It's more important that we focus on improving the defence and getting goals from other areas of the team. There is no such thing as a replacement for Harry Kane. Maddison is the closest thing we have and we'll be able to do a much better job of signing another striker when we've got a better idea of the type of striker that will fit in with Postecoglou's team rather than buying one in a panic and hoping it works out.

Still a lot of players that need to be moved on. I think we should do the decent thing and release Lloris from his contract. He has served the club as captain and distinguished player for many years and deserves better than the Departure Lounge. It's shameful to try and scrooge out a transfer fee for him.

I'll be generous and give this window a 7. There is more work to be done but for the first time in years the club seems to be moving in the right direction.
Bit early to be marking it out of 10. Theres still 2 weeks left.

And its going to take months to make a proper judgement of players like Vicario and VdV.

Uh huh. Ok. I know very little about Orban and very little about Ange’s striker philosophy. You thought he would want a more fulcrum type to hold up and bring others into the game, a Firminho type eg.

That’s a bit disappointing if true. I’m not a fan of the Bent, Defoe genre at all.

I assume a hold up type would also work. He had Cahill for the Australian national team.

But all I know are his Celtic days. And he had Kyogo in that role, who'd get very little touches but had supreme movement and a great finish.

I don't know any of his other teams, the strikers he used or how he used them.

It's why I always thought Son would have been best served as a striker in this system as opposed to a winger. Play on the last shoulder and asked to put away chances he's given

Bit early to be marking it out of 10. Theres still 2 weeks left.

And its going to take months to make a proper judgement of players like Vicario and VdV.

There's 2 times to make a judgement on a transfer window :

1 Towards its end when you can see most of the 'ins'

2 In arears, whether that's 6 months down the line, 12 months or even longer.

ATM its a quick snapshot - for example really like Van De Ven but it only one match.

Measure in retrospect, 6 or 12 months, fine, but really becomes part of 'what we need to do in next TW.

Not in real terms they aren't, they have bought for huge sums which are spread out over a number of years, fine, but the money for Havertz and Mount will also be spread over a number of years too, which he doesn't mention at all.
Nope, when you sell a player you take the transfer fee less the carrying value of the player and that is recognised in that accounting period as a profit/loss on disposal.
So let's say Havertz was originally bought for 60m on a 5 year contract (I can't be arsed to look up exact figures) and was 3 years in to the contract, his carrying value would be 60m less 3 years of 12m amortisation costs= 24mill. When they sold him to Woolwich for 60mill ish then they recognise that profit on disposal of 36mill there and then.
Mount has a zero carrying value as he was an academy profit. So the full transfer fee from United was an instant profit.
They're using those in-period profits to offset the amortisation of their mad spending spree, the latter which they can spread over the long contract lengths.
They will get caught out if they can't get profits on disposal by selling their assets in future, like with Mount and Havertz. They are reliant on having not bought duds really!
It is a huge risk, that much is obvious.

Levy won't allow that type of money to be spent.
One of the reasons Ange has got the job, is because, he can work with additional options, music to levys ears and wallet.
Ange is still an unknown quantity. You're not going to go balls deep in year 0. Next year, however, if he has proven his mettle in the PL, I'd expect more investment will be made. If not, then I'll blame the chairman.

Back
Top Bottom