Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Who mentioned fixed price? Who mentioned amazon? Are you on crack?
« Paying what it takes » is a ridiculous notion. You pay what the player is worth to you given your limited resources and considering the opportunity costs. That’s the real world.

Everything else is fantasy.

I want a balance of good value and good players. Sometimes good players won’t be good value and I don’t care if we pay over the odds. Seeking value on every deal and missing out on top players is not for me

Exactly.

This is a post that many on here won't understand because they are too caught up in defending Levy's "model".

FWIW, by his standards he has tried to sign a couple of players that he probably saw as above his threshold for value but he's so far been very misguided every time he's done it.

This is why he's always needed a guy like Michael Edwards with a proven track record for knowing when to extract value and when to pay over the odds for the right player.

My gut tells me it's because Levy was threatened by Edwards as a decision-maker and was concerned he was better than him.

Years of ENIC have institutionalized them. They can’t be happy with a transfer unless it’s deemed as “good value”.
Started a whole thing about this yesterday. Not our money who cares, show some ambition, we are a rich club, fans pay a premium, why are we always penny pinching?
The usual suspects shot me down with words that could have come straight out of ENICS mouth

Balls.

Yesterday: You made a sketchy point, argued it badly and shied away from difficult questions.

Buy 4 players:
Nico Williams - 60 Million
Tapsoba - 60 Million
Veiga - 40 Million
Orban - 30 Million

190 Million

Sell:
Dier - 5m
Reguilon - 8m
Tanganga - 8m
Hojbjerg- 28m
Spence - 10m

59m

Net spend 131m + current net spend of 54m= 186m
Instant concurrence for top 4

Lo Celso has 2 years left on his contract and Spurs are unlikely to want to renew on his high wages.

Lo Celso is well known enough to give a value to, so why would Spurs be interested in a loan with option to buy ? Might be worth a loan with obligation to buy, at right price which might be £30m - £40m but absolutely no chance of loan with option to buy.

Napoli had Ndombele with a loan and option to buy last season - but no sensible offer came, hence Ndombele back with us. No chance we should fall for Napoli again - its got CL money so needs to just pa up
The only would be if we were in for another AM, I'm very confident that no one will pay £30-40m though. The value of £30-40m is based on what? 18 months playing for Villareal?

Balls.

Yesterday: You made a sketchy point, argued it badly and shied away from difficult questions.
Seen this « not your money » take a lot. Why would that be at all compelling in the real world? The money is the club’s… the one we support… the club will always want to use its resources as effectively as possible.

Any other stance is living in delusion.

Im taking about seeking value on every transfer as a prerequisite, that’s what’s fucking weird. If Ange wants Tabsoba, the data guys think he’s good and the fee is 65m (20m more than ‘value’), I do not care - do it

I wanna see us make smart, good value signings on promising players, but there are times when that needs to coupled with ‘paying what it’ takes for a key player. We’ve failed to do that, and instead gone second tier and ended up with expensive flops
Isn't that what the "game changer" stadium was designed for, to compete.
Not my word's, but those of the chairman I believe.

How many clubs in the football league is that the primary goal? Most will never win a trophy and get on with it
True enough, but not Spurs. Both in terms of the club's history and the club's ability to attract and extract revenue from its supporters.

Spurs can and should aim to be the best team in England and in the current marketplace the best team in England is inherently something close to the best team in the world.

Tottenham is the big leagues and if ENIC didn't want that to be the level of expectation they shouldn't have built the stadium.

Selling clubs want to extract as much value as they can from their assets. There is no fixed price. There are a series of negotiations where the seller tries to figure out the maximum that the buying club is willing to pay (and vice versa).

This is not like buying something on Amazon.

Nobody said it was like buying off Amazon.
What you say is common sense your not saying anything new. Sellers also regret not selling players at certain points Raya at Brentford being a recent example. We were prepared to pay 30m they wanted 40m 6 weeks later he goes for a fair bit less. It’s a gamble both ways

True enough, but not Spurs. Both in terms of the club's history and the club's ability to attract and extract revenue from its supporters.

Spurs can and should aim to be the best team in England and in the current marketplace the best team in England is inherently something close to the best team in the world.

Tottenham is the big leagues and if ENIC didn't want that to be the level of expectation they shouldn't have built the stadium.
True enough but not Spurs. Took acception to the statement it's a primary goal as if it's a universal truth but it's anything but.

How many clubs in the football league is that the primary goal? Most will never win a trophy and get on with it

What is your point?

You want Spurs - the first British club to win the league and cup double and the first British club to win a UEFA Competition - to be a club with the best stadium in the world, best training facilities in the world, one of the highest revenues in the world, amongst the most profitable in the world, formally had the best srriker in the world....

but at the same time Spurs should settle for the same outcomes as "many clubs in the football league"?

You are cool with this great football club having the same goals as Blackburn? or Wolves?

Yet Ange “defended” Richarlison’s performance by saying we didn’t use him enough?

We need a CF to replace Richarlison. Full stop

FiWwMLwWAAARTk1.jpg

True enough but not Spurs. Took acception to the statement it's a primary goal as if it's a universal truth but it's anything but.
Fair enough I suppose, though promotion sort of stands in for a trophy at clubs in lower leagues.

Winning things, securing major achievements, stuff that goes in the record books, however you want to say it.

Nobody said it was like buying off Amazon.
What you say is common sense your not saying anything new. Sellers also regret not selling players at certain points Raya at Brentford being a recent example. We were prepared to pay 30m they wanted 40m 6 weeks later he goes for a fair bit less. It’s a gamble both ways
So you agree that when people say « just pay the fee » they are talking nonsense?

My gut tells me it's because Levy was threatened by Edwards as a decision-maker and was concerned he was better than him.
You’re ignoring the fact that Levy has about £1.2 billion invested in the club. This is a ‘greedy’, bald cunt who is going to let go someone because he makes better business decisions? Literally lose millions of pounds because he’s jealous of an employee?
That’s some pretty crap psycho-babble.

Back
Top Bottom