Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
The question is the format.
While the clubs might be more attractive in themselves, does anyone care about an end of season game between a 12th and a 15th place team in a perpetual league?
Would you rather watch the 4-11 Bengals vs 5-10 Jaguars or the Grey Cup Final. I’ll take the latter even if the standard is lower as there’s a meaningful game being played.
The NFL is a closed league. Its championship game is annually the most watched 4 hours of global television. Its most valuable club is worth $10 Billion, more than any other sporting property in the world, and one of its least successful recently sold for more than Chelsea (edit: double the price).

I get a lot of the arguments from traditionalists, and really, really hope Spurs dodge the inevitable ESL because I don't want it. But the money in the sport doesn't give a fuck about tradition and will only allow it to slow, not prevent, the inevitable.

Bloke literally spent several posts arguing that it was fine to pay 100m for a 50m player.

Apparently if that seems like a flawed idea then you've been brainwashed by Levy. 🤡

I never said that at all learn to read. I used the rice transfer as an example to pay a little over the odds to get the payer you need/want.
I also said the same about VVD and Alison but you don’t keep quoting that do you?

Explain to me what is more interesting about Burnley than Atletico. You're coming off very much as an American Soccer Hipster right now.
I plead 100% guilty as charged.

Guess what, American Soccer Hipsters are worth a lot of money to the European game.

But even that notwithstanding, national domestic leagues with promotion and relegation and the decades of history and embedded cultural meaning are a product unto themselves, just smashing the clubs together like they're Marvel action figures is simply not the same thing and if Florentino Perez and MBS and Apple think the marketplace will treat that as the same thing they're going to lose their shirts, IMO.

I get less and less interested in the Champions League every year, Spurs involved or not.

What's true at the Hollywood box office will be true in college football and will be true in the European Super League: cynical, charmless entertainment products will not have their stink go unnoticed by the audience and will be worth less than the sum of their parts.

(Sidebar: those are bad examples. Kompany's Burnley is an objectively better watch than Simeone's Atletico)

No mate. You failed to understand my basic points and made a completely stupid argument that was nothing to do with my original point

Th very first thing I asked you was to name the "top ST" that you wanted.... You bottled it with whimpering "I'm not a scout".... As if the world's top STs are some kind of obscure proposition.

Then you said it was ok for Spurs to spend 50m on a 100m and then chased your tail in trying to make that make sense.

Look, I'm not keen to revsit that convo cos it proved a massive waste of time, but balls to you playing the whole thing off like you were the voice of sense and reason and I was quoting Levy rhetoric...... MASSIVE balls to that.

What's true at the Hollywood box office will be true in college football and will be true in the European Super League: cynical, charmless entertainment products will not have their stink go unnoticed by the audience and will be worth less than the sum of their parts.
Just become a Bama fan
College Football Wow GIF by SEC Network

and a year at Real Betis scoring and assisting frequently

and playing with Messi for Argentina - according to his fan club he played better with his mate !

Agree we'd buy another midfielder to replace him - Eze would be good - but we'd need to generate some cash from Lo Celso to upgrade him.

I'd happily take £30m for him but lets start by asking for £40m
All we need is one of those Men In Black mind wiping gadgets to make everyone forget about his time with us. Eze at 70m, forget that. We would be lucky to get 20m for GLC, even at 15m, noone wants to pay.
If he remains with us this season, I just hope he shows something.

Opportunity cost is the pertinent point. In hindsight, we should have paid an extra 10M for Hazard when Redknapp wanted him. Would have been over the odds and ‘what it takes’, but it would have paid for itself
Thanks for your hindsight. Unfortunately decisions are made in real time.

Explain to me what is more interesting about Burnley than Atletico. You're coming off very much as an American Soccer Hipster right now.

Personally, I find Man U v Burnley more interesting as it would typically have more direct ramifications to Spurs's bread & butter; i.e. the EPL.........

Yeah, not a good player. Overpay for good players not mid table cloggers. I wouldn’t have wanted him for 20M

But everyone has a different opinion of players - loads called Kane crap for several years.

Maybe others thought Richarison was the best striker available ....... and on that basis paid £60m to secure that rare talent .

Back
Top Bottom