Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
What if the talk went like this;

Spurs to Agent: "We are interested in your client coming to us, would it be possible to discuss this?"

Agent: Yeah sure, I'll run it by my Client to see if he's interested."

Spurs: Great, we'll contact Inter then to see if they're interested in selling."

Spurs to Inter: " we'd like to buy your player, would you be interested in selling?"

Inter: "Sure, if the price is right."

Spurs: " We'll offer you £65M."

Inter: "That's a fair offer, we'll sell as long as the player wants to leave."

Agent to Spurs: "I've spoken to my Client and he's stated that he doesn't want to leave, whatever the offer."

Inter to Spurs: "Sorry but the player wishes to stay. We would have been interested, but we can't and won't force the player out."

That's not talks breaking down. There has to be some form of negotiation for the talks to have 'broken down.' As soon as one party indicates that he has no interest in negotiating, there's absolutely nothing there to break down. Nothing happened.

How you're unable to grasp this concept is a mystery to me.
Yup. For any transfer, three parties have to be agreeable to the idea: Buying club (a gimme), selling club and player. Let’s ignore the added complexity of agents.

For Bastoni:
Buying club — Yes
Selling club — Yes
Player — No.

Now let’s apply what we’ve learned to this year’s targets:

Tapsoba
Buying club — Yes
Selling club — No
Player — Unknown but probably yes. .

Tosin
Buying club — Yes
Selling club — Yes
Player — No ( according to latest reports)

VdV
Buying club — Yes
Selling club — Indications are Yes but reluctantly.
Player — Indications are Yes.

Lenglet
Buying club — Yes but reluctantly
Selling club — Yes
Player — Yes.

I don’t think it’s going to take a genius to figure out the more likely recruits. Of course there are other CBs in the mix like Nelsson and Ibanez but links are tenuous and we don’t really have any additional information.

"Spurs have been handed a major boost because the player himself wants to move to the club as well. Bastoni is determined to work with Conte again. Moreover, Inter does not want to let the player go but they will reluctantly open talks with Bastoni. Moreover, Bastoni will forge a strong relationship with Ivan Perisic who has already joined Spurs. Both the players were former teammates and will continue to perform well."

Player quotes in the article: "I'm relaxed I have 2 years on my contract and the club haven't told me anything" "When I get back from holiday we will see how it goes".

Doesn't really sound like a player that is refusing to go anywhere does it???

And here Inter could sell if their valuation is met:

So, what element of these talks do we feel broke down?

Could it be Daniel Levy that is notorious for wanting to pay less than clubs ask for, maybe, just maybe didn't want to pay what Inter wanted for a player with 2 years on his contract??

We can't be sure because we are nobodies but what we do know is the talks broke down and the player stayed.

Now, can all of you fuck off with this conversation! I don't know what part of your reality it offends so badly that the idea it wasn't Levy's fault but I can't change that I see it different from you.

Well exactly.

Levy’s single biggest failing is not realising how poor he is at the footballing side of the club. Commercially he is probably the best in the business, but he is arguably the worst when it comes to the actual football.

Therefore we rarely have a strategy and when we do have a strategy he soon changes his mind and moves on to another strategy or a scattergun approach.

He is killing us
I don't agree. If my CEO came into the room and starting telling me how how to design software, he'd get laughed out of the room.

His failing is that he doesn't care about how underperforming the recruitment department is while we rocket up the European earnings league. That is his job and his most singular priority is to the shareholders.

The very idea he is interested in football..

"Spurs have been handed a major boost because the player himself wants to move to the club as well. Bastoni is determined to work with Conte again. Moreover, Inter does not want to let the player go but they will reluctantly open talks with Bastoni. Moreover, Bastoni will forge a strong relationship with Ivan Perisic who has already joined Spurs. Both the players were former teammates and will continue to perform well."

Player quotes in the article: "I'm relaxed I have 2 years on my contract and the club haven't told me anything" "When I get back from holiday we will see how it goes".

Doesn't really sound like a player that is refusing to go anywhere does it???

And here Inter could sell if their valuation is met:

So, what element of these talks do we feel broke down?

Could it be Daniel Levy that is notorious for wanting to pay less than clubs ask for, maybe, just maybe didn't want to pay what Inter wanted for a player with 2 years on his contract??

We can't be sure because we are nobodies but what we do know is the talks broke down and the player stayed.

Now, can all of you fuck off with this conversation! I don't know what part of your reality it offends so badly that the idea it wasn't Levy's fault but I can't change that I see it different from you.
Tonali reluctantly agreed to go. Bastoni didn’t

You finding a shit third party source that claims that he did is not equivalent to someone else — forgot who it was — posting a direct quote from the player himself that counters your claim.
Not all evidence is equal.

More like an hour or more in my area.

Levy will just say that Subway messed the order up.
Off topic I know but I've always wondered about people who have Big Macs, Whoppers and doner kebabs delivered.

It's cold when it gets to your house, so you have two choices - eat it like that or microwave it, in which case all the salad stuff is boiling hot.

Am I missing something?

Off topic I know but I've always wondered about people who have Big Macs, Whoppers and doner kebabs delivered.

It's cold when it gets to your house, so you have two choices - eat it like that or microwave it, in which case all the salad stuff is boiling hot.

Am I missing something?

let me eat my cold kebab in peace

If our top CB targets were VDV and Tapsoba, but they are out of reach, I guess we can either keep moving down our list of young up and coming CBs until the price is right, or go for a stopgap signing again like Lenglet last year. Sounds depressing, but having spent on Maddison and not made much in player sales, this might be the reality.

If so, this is where I worry we will feel the absence of a smart DoF who has the contacts and experience to wheel and deal. Unless Paratici is still operating behind the scenes of course.

If we do go for experience, we should get a purer defender than Lenglet this time, like Chris Smalling at Roma. I remember Naybet coming in and doing a great job for us all those years ago. An older head at the back would not be a bad idea to guide the likes of Udogie and even Romero.

Back
Top Bottom