Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
George Graham inherited a Spurs team that had narrowly avoided relegation in season 97/ 98 and were heading for another relegation scrap in 98 / 99 when he took over.

He earned Spurs a respectable mid table finish, having won the League Cup, and achieved European qualification for the first time in 8 seasons by doing so.

It's often forgotten that Spurs reached the semi finals of the F.A. Cup in 99 and 01 under Graham.

I hated what Graham stood for before he arrived at Spurs but have no doubt; he saved Spurs from being a complete laughing stock by the time he became Spurs manager.

He improved players like Carr and Sulzeer Jeremiah and bought shrewdly with players like Taricco, Leonhardsen, Sherwood, Perry and Sullivan.

These were not great players but the players they replaced in the starting 11 were absolute gash.

George Graham made Spurs solid and difficult to beat.

The man in the raincoat made a poor team much better.

His former employers were so pissed off with him they made the Spurs captain their top priority as an act of revenge on Spurs and Graham.

That finished Graham as Spurs manager, as much as the boring negative tactics, finished Sugar as chairman and saddled Spurs with ENIC.
Finally something we can agree on — except I don’t think that was the reason Alan sold.

This is a perfect example of why I use my username.

Their ownership which half you twats envy bought inarguably the second most successful team in the country when they took majority ownership. A team of 20+ seasons of UCL straight qualification. A team a handful of years removed from ‘The Invincibles’. A team that finished above us for 20+ years uninterrupted.
It turned them into a team that couldn’t qualify for European football and finished below us for 7(?) straight seasons. That’s who you envy.
And I get shit for my username, ffs.
Yes, and look where they are now. Peaks and troughs. They are now investing in a project. Our ownership has never done that. And never will.

You think that might have something to do with the extra 250 million they have to spend each year?
Given who they are and their financial muscle, that’s a massive underachievement.
Well....i was just replying to a poster who said they won no trophys in 10 years and i pointed out no, they won 3 trophys in that time.....🤷‍♂️.......you can read George, yes???

Tottenham reached the last four of the 2000–01 FA Cup with a 3–2 victory over West Ham United 11 March 2001 and Graham was looking forward to pitting his wits against his former club Woolwich in the semi-finals.
I was at this game.

Spurs had the whole of the Centenary Stand at the Boleyn and were huge underdogs going into the game. This was Harry's West Ham team with Lampard, Carrick, Joe Cole etc.

I was in that number, right behind the goal in the lower tier, when Rebrov had his finest hour for Spurs.

we need to do both.

Don't see how the order matters too much.
It's the usual suspects covering their bases and getting the pre emptive excuses in, just in case the Centre backs don't happen. They can then try and claim some kind of justification that we are starting yet another season with Eric Dier at CB, would actually be laughable if it wasn't so incredibly sad.

"Dembele, Verts, Toby, Eriksen, and Wanyama"

These were the players I asserted earned less than Kyle Walker has at Manchester City while winning stuff.

You brought Romero into the frame later on.

I respect your enthusiasm for the regime.

But please don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

It really doesn't change the fact that you're being so hyperbolic.

When Walker signed for City he was on reported 110k

Same year our players

Verts was on 100k
Toby 80k
Eriksen 75k
Dembele 55k
Wanyama 62k

So yes, Kyle Walker did move on, earn more money that those players and win titles for them.

Our players were not underpaid though, most of our top players were on good wages DESPITE the club operating in a completely different way to the cheating Manchester City. Sissoko was on 80k which many people were unhappy with at the time and not because it was too little.

Between 2017and last season our reported wage bill had increased from around 80million to 110million somewhere between 35-40%.

If you want new owners who are happy to spend like City/Chelsea that's fine.

If you want new owners that will make less mistakes on football decisions I get it and would prefer better footballing decisions myself

But this idea that we don't invest money in the team isn't the way you make it out to be.

Shrugs shoulders.

You seem to be having your own little argument here.....

Fill your boots... It has no bearing on what I was talking to someone else about.
It’s a forum. No argument, just pointing out your misunderstanding of corporate finance in a condescending manner in a similar way you do to most others. Ta’ra

It really doesn't change the fact that you're being so hyperbolic.

When Walker signed for City he was on reported 110k

Same year our players

Verts was on 100k
Toby 80k
Eriksen 75k
Dembele 55k
Wanyama 62k

So yes, Kyle Walker did move on, earn more money that those players and win titles for them.

Our players were not underpaid though, most of our top players were on good wages DESPITE the club operating in a completely different way to the cheating Manchester City. Sissoko was on 80k which many people were unhappy with at the time and not because it was too little.

Between 2017and last season our reported wage bill had increased from around 80million to 110million somewhere between 35-40%.

If you want new owners who are happy to spend like City/Chelsea that's fine.

If you want new owners that will make less mistakes on football decisions I get it and would prefer better footballing decisions myself

But this idea that we don't invest money in the team isn't the way you make it out to be.
So I was right after all but I'm suffering from hyperbole?

I see.

Was my alleged hyperbole as emphasised as your colleague Airfucks in respect of his descriptive analysis of my contributions to TFC?

Well i was just pointing out to a previous poster that utd have won......🤔......ahhh, fuck it, I'm out.......
I get your point.
Their fans don’t see it that way though, do they?
It’s not really winning when you’re expected to win and bring back only a couple of minor trophies.

To put it another way, the S&P 500 is up 20% YTD, would you be happy if your investment returned 3% because you were ‘winning?

Back
Top Bottom