Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
??????........🤔.......except for league cup, f.a. cup and uefa cup of the top of my head!...
And every United fan I know is desperate for the owners to sell up and F*** Off

I wonder how many on their various forums are defending the Glazers with 'yeah but remember how shit we was in the 70's and 80's blah blah fookin blah' :roflmao:

Are you actually a fan of the team? I ask sincerely because you talk like you have zero emotional connection to Spurs. Even your name hints at this. You certainly are a expert in lip service. The current ownership is not the club it exsists unarguably beyond this it's actually very obvious. The club is the fanbase it's history it's identity and their collective memories of thousands of games. It shouldn't even need saying. Think you are going the way of The Dealer for me mate...into the void.
Not quite sure how ShotgunofMichaelBrown is any more Spurs than my user name. Presumably you’re trying to make a point with it…. Did he manage us at some point too?
If you’ve read my more personal posts — and clearly you haven’t— you’ll know that the family is four generations of Spurs fans/,season ticket holders and they originally came from the South Tottenham area. We were here long before ENIC and will be here long after they’ve gone. I’m sure that you have the same connection.
Feel free to do what you like.

Sure, I looked up on Google Kyle Walker wages

Even without the dodgy city owners paying under the table reported wages are junk. Before /after bonuses, bonus levels etc.

I doubt walker is earning less than Romero but will never know

Well it's really rather simple, but I'm happy to spell it out for you.

You buy better centre backs, put them in the team, and then the team doesn't concede so many of those goal things.

Btw I wasn't making a strawman, I simply give zero fucks about having a cluttered squad. That's Levy's problem.
He will have to lower his valuations or simply release the excess players.

What a load of ret-con crap.

Obviously you don't understand what a strawman is.

Bore off......

The combo of the other bloke's post + your "So what you're saying is....." retort was a blatant straw-man attempt....... Just a stupid nonsensical one.

??????........🤔.......except for league cup, f.a. cup and uefa cup of the top of my head!...
Yeah, that's 3 trophies in 10 years for the "biggest club in the world" and two of them are deemed "lesser trophies" they also won nothing for 5 seasons. regularly finished below us in the Europa places. I'm pretty sure J Thomas and friends would be going balastic if they were a United fan.

Oh great, another player like Maddison that we've been monitoring, considering, deliberating, masturbating over for years and years. We were linked whe he was at Lyon, Sampdoria and now Palace. Could have signed him for 20 mill and now he will cost 50-60 mill. Very smart

Very good defender, not quick but is smart, however he is best as a right sided cb. He would have been an ideal replacement for Toby imo
I seem to remember some agreement when we bought Ndombele from Lyon that we would leave Andersen alone so they could get him from Sampdoria (that went well).

Well clearly from some. Liverpool and them want to do well, concentrate on football and act accordingly despite not being oil money.

I genuinely have no idea what our plan is. No DoF, still, and a lot of faces hanging around that have proved they arent good enough over anything from 1 to 9 seasons. There is just no urgency or real will to want to improve. We finished 8th, Levy was getting dogs abuse and its our last chance to convince Kane to stay. It should have lit a fire under them but its all so half hearted. If not now then when?
Unfortunately the powers that be have, no urgency in football related matters.
As they said themselves, they are in for financial reasons alone, football is a small product of the sporting arena overall.
As Kosher Kid Kosher Kid has said,this all changes when ENIC fuck off

Yeah, that's 3 trophies in 10 years for the "biggest club in the world" and two of them are deemed "lesser trophies" they also won nothing for 5 seasons. regularly finished below us in the Europa places. I'm pretty sure J Thomas and friends would be going balastic if they were a United fan.
That's still 3 trophys in 10 years........instead of none in 15......🤷‍♂️.....they'll always be there or thereabouts for trophys.....something we all attain to.....☹

I envy their ownership so much

Point is they are a well run club.

Woolwich within the next year or two will probably be champions
This is a perfect example of why I use my username.

Their ownership which half you twats envy bought inarguably the second most successful team in the country when they took majority ownership. A team of 20+ seasons of UCL straight qualification. A team a handful of years removed from ‘The Invincibles’. A team that finished above us for 20+ years uninterrupted.
It turned them into a team that couldn’t qualify for European football and finished below us for 7(?) straight seasons. That’s who you envy.
And I get shit for my username, ffs.

It’s not a tribute to George Graham. It’s just George Graham.
I’ve made the point several times before:
It’s for those that think trophies are everything. George Graham DID win more trophies at Spurs that Poch , BMJ and Harry combined. Maybe winning trophies isn’t everything?

There was an increasing talking up of Woolwich last year — how they’ve been doing things right despite the undeniable fact that they’ve gone backwards under their current ownership. People who want Woolwich to win thinking it’s going to hurt Danny so much he sells up I We even have out very own Saka Fanboy — the only person who watches the EPL that thought Saka was POTY. So I’m trying to make them feel at home.

I’ll probably change it later this month. I don’t suppose the Admin will let me have ‘Los BellCamp’.

Interesting. I recall spurs being seen as much more of a cup team at the time, where there was a very real hope of winning a trophy despite the poor league form. Almost as if it was prioritised.

Also find the wiki description of his spurs term very interesting:

"Just five months after taking charge of Tottenham Hotspur, he guided the club to victory over Leicester City in the 1999 League Cup Final, and with it a place in the 1999–2000 UEFA Cup. Despite guiding the club to its first trophy in eight seasons, Graham could not achieve a finish higher than tenth in the Premier League.

Tottenham reached the last four of the 2000–01 FA Cup with a 3–2 victory over West Ham United 11 March 2001 and Graham was looking forward to pitting his wits against his former club Woolwich in the semi-finals. He was sacked on 16 March 2001, soon after the club had been purchased by ENIC, for alleged breach of contract.[19] The club stated that Graham had been issued "several written warnings prior to his sacking for giving out what was deemed by the club as being private information" before, earlier that week, apparently informing the media he had "a limited budget" for new players and expressing his disappointment with it. This led to his being summoned to a meeting with Spurs executive vice-chairman David Buchler, after which he was dismissed. Buchler subsequently questioned whether Graham had the interests of the club at heart and described his conduct in the meeting as "aggressive and defiant". Graham's legal representatives issued a statement expressing he was "shocked and upset to have been sacked and could not believe such a flimsy excuse was given". "

Seemed like he wanted to take the club further but budget was an issue as early as the first year of ENIC ownership

Those Goal posts are shifting again.

We've gone from widespread acknowledgement that we badly need centre backs to "well we can't get centre backs until we clear the clutter out of the squad"

It's just the same old excuse making.

It’s not a tribute to George Graham. It’s just George Graham.
I’ve made the point several times before:
It’s for those that think trophies are everything. George Graham DID win more trophies at Spurs that Poch , BMJ and Harry combined. Maybe winning trophies isn’t everything?

There was an increasing talking up of Woolwich last year — how they’ve been doing things right despite the undeniable fact that they’ve gone backwards under their current ownership. People who want Woolwich to win thinking it’s going to hurt Danny so much he sells up I We even have out very own Saka Fanboy — the only person who watches the EPL that thought Saka was POTY. So I’m trying to make them feel at home.

I’ll probably change it later this month. I don’t suppose the Admin will let me have ‘Los BellCamp’.
George Graham inherited a Spurs team that had narrowly avoided relegation in season 97/ 98 and were heading for another relegation scrap in 98 / 99 when he took over.

He earned Spurs a respectable mid table finish, having won the League Cup, and achieved European qualification for the first time in 8 seasons by doing so.

It's often forgotten that Spurs reached the semi finals of the F.A. Cup in 99 and 01 under Graham.

I hated what Graham stood for before he arrived at Spurs but have no doubt; he saved Spurs from being a complete laughing stock by the time he became Spurs manager.

He improved players like Carr and Sulzeer Jeremiah and bought shrewdly with players like Taricco, Leonhardsen, Sherwood, Perry and Sullivan.

These were not great players but the players they replaced in the starting 11 were absolute gash.

George Graham made Spurs solid and difficult to beat.

The man in the raincoat made a poor team much better.

His former employers were so pissed off with him they made the Spurs captain their top priority as an act of revenge on Spurs and Graham.

That finished Graham as Spurs manager, as much as the boring negative tactics, finished Sugar as chairman and saddled Spurs with ENIC.

You think that might have something to do with the extra 250 million they have to spend each year?
Given who they are and their financial muscle, that’s a massive underachievement.

Glaziers can be proven to have done virtually everything ENIC are sketchily accused of doing.

This is a perfect example of why I use my username.

Their ownership which half you twats envy bought inarguably the second most successful team in the country when they took majority ownership. A team of 20+ seasons of UCL straight qualification. A team a handful of years removed from ‘The Invincibles’. A team that finished above us for 20+ years uninterrupted.
It turned them into a team that couldn’t qualify for European football and finished below us for 7(?) straight seasons. That’s who you envy.
And I get shit for my username, ffs.
I have never mentioned your username twat face, now stop bringing me into it you silly little man and fuck off.💪

Interesting. I recall spurs being seen as much more of a cup team at the time, where there was a very real hope of winning a trophy despite the poor league form. Almost as if it was prioritised.

Also find the wiki description of his spurs term very interesting:

"Just five months after taking charge of Tottenham Hotspur, he guided the club to victory over Leicester City in the 1999 League Cup Final, and with it a place in the 1999–2000 UEFA Cup. Despite guiding the club to its first trophy in eight seasons, Graham could not achieve a finish higher than tenth in the Premier League.

Tottenham reached the last four of the 2000–01 FA Cup with a 3–2 victory over West Ham United 11 March 2001 and Graham was looking forward to pitting his wits against his former club Woolwich in the semi-finals. He was sacked on 16 March 2001, soon after the club had been purchased by ENIC, for alleged breach of contract.[19] The club stated that Graham had been issued "several written warnings prior to his sacking for giving out what was deemed by the club as being private information" before, earlier that week, apparently informing the media he had "a limited budget" for new players and expressing his disappointment with it. This led to his being summoned to a meeting with Spurs executive vice-chairman David Buchler, after which he was dismissed. Buchler subsequently questioned whether Graham had the interests of the club at heart and described his conduct in the meeting as "aggressive and defiant". Graham's legal representatives issued a statement expressing he was "shocked and upset to have been sacked and could not believe such a flimsy excuse was given". "

Seemed like he wanted to take the club further but budget was an issue as early as the first year of ENIC ownership
No Spurs fan was ever going to like George Graham as manager unless he had a string of successes which want going to happen given where we were at the time.
In truth, he had a pretty successful managerial career and he was better than some of the guys who have occupied the position since.

Back
Top Bottom