Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. Our squad with no additions becomes stagnant and restless. Every team needs to keep looking to improve or strengthen their hand. To sit back and be happy with what you have is lazy, complacent, and downright fucking scandalous.

I'll do a bet with you (or any of ya)....

If we sign NO-ONE; I'll leave the forum; but if we sign SOME-ONE you leave the forum.

Any takers?

Been away far too long, and far too busy to catch up on 400 pages of ranting.....are we judging transfer targets on BMI and arguing sex appeal this summer, or no?
Oh no its better. The argument is who we get rid of when we buy a new player... because no team apparently should have more than 11 starting caliber players.

I do wonder who people think we can sign, or should sign? We're probably not wanting to spend 30 million on a single player again, and so, if we aren't, then all of the big names that the press love to throw in gossip columns are out of our budget range.

Who is a CL-level starter (so, good enough to play if one of our best eleven were injured) who is also available for less than that around Europe? I cannot think of a single one. That being the case, we're going to take punts on higher risk players who are younger and more raw. So, anyone want to suggest any of those? I can think of a few, but none are really famous yet, and none are going to be anything other than big risks.

I am ok with that, but I doubt most fans will be.

There is more of a chance of us resigning Bale than Poch playing all four wing backs in the same team.

May look good on paper, but i cant see the gaffer going for it. Would leave us terribly exposed if we got caught in possession.

IMO we will be less exposed.

Obviously Rose and Walker on the right and left of midfield are WAY more defensively minded than Son or Eriksen/Lamela. Who is getting passed both Rose AND Davies? You would have to be a savage to take both of them on. It's much easier to take on Eriksen and Davies. All you need is pace.

It free's up Eriksen and Alli to be less defense minded IMO. ESP if you have Wanyama or Dembele in midfield too patrolling in front of the back center backs.

Rose and Walker are getting more involved with goals. I think pushing them forward with thier speed will eat up the ground at Wembley and tire the opposition on s huge pitch.

Plus it's never as cut and dried as Rose and Walker = wingers in my shape. Davis and Trippier can overlap and thier crosses are great. Davies crossing last season was a little off but he has had it in his locker.

That shape will be good for Dembele as he struggles playing whole seasons. He can play a few less games and keep him peaking. It will also help Eriksen who plays too many games a season.

If we rotate I think that shape will be OK. Away from home we don't have to play 4411 etc. Walker and Rose on the wings IMO would be great for Wembley or fast op like Chelsea.

I'm only bringing this up IF we don't sigh pace BTW. Recent rumblings that we are signing Siggy is terrifying. The very last thing we need is someone slower than Eriksen.

But is he worth £25m if they can buy him back for, say, £30m, on a whim?

I wouldn't even agree to sign Messi in an agreement like that.

You can't plan for the future if on the last day of the transfer window your 2nd top striker leaves and there's nothing you can do about it. Leaves yourself wide open.

So play Walker (who practically everyone can see is better at defending than attacking) on the wing, and Trippier (who practically everyone can see is better at attacking than defending) in defence?

Meanwhile, you have 4 slots on the pitch left (assuming 2 CBs), one of which would be Kane.

Who do you drop out of Wanyama, Dier, Eriksen, Lamela, Son, Dele, Winks, Sissoko, Janssen, Dembele - especially without leaving a "weak spine"?

You can only have 11 on the pitch.

You are the guy who scoffed at my "Don't play Lennon, Townsend and Soldado" posts. Plus everyone laughed when I said Walker and Trippier should be given more rope up the wings.

Do you ever get tired trying to force it?

Walker and Rose relatively are one of the leading creative players at left and right back. In fact you can hardly even call it that. They virtually are wingers these days. And I'm not sure if you missed it...but Poch was playing Trippier and Davies AT LEFT AND RIGHT BACK at the end of the season.

And we were doing great. Now add Walker and Rose in front and you add pace, passion, defense and aggression. You talking about the spine is kinda backwards because Walker and Rose are more solid that whatever combo we put on the right and left of midfield.

Recent losses to Chelsea came from set pieces caused by us struggling with pace. We dominated them in all other areas. Only chink in our armory is pace. This fixes that if the transfer windows does not fix it.

Plus: what fast players could we sign, will be better than Rose or Walker? I think it's win win. We also tell our squad that if you play well like Trippier, you get a chance. I like our current squad. I don't think you have a good grasp of how important Rose and Walkers wingplay was to our creativity.

You are the guy who scoffed at my "Don't play Lennon, Townsend and Soldado" posts. Plus everyone laughed when I said Walker and Trippier should be given more rope up the wings.

Do you ever get tired trying to force it?

Walker and Rose relatively are one of the leading creative players at left and right back. In fact you can hardly even call it that. They virtually are wingers these days. And I'm not sure if you missed it...but Poch was playing Trippier and Davies AT LEFT AND RIGHT BACK at the end of the season.

And we were doing great. Now add Walker and Rose in front and you add pace, passion, defense and aggression. You talking about the spine is kinda backwards because Walker and Rose are more solid that whatever combo we put on the right and left of midfield.

Recent losses to Chelsea came from set pieces caused by us struggling with pace. We dominated them in all other areas. Only chink in our armory is pace. This fixes that if the transfer windows does not fix it.

Plus: what fast players could we sign, will be better than Rose or Walker? I think it's win win. We also tell our squad that if you play well like Trippier, you get a chance. I like our current squad. I don't think you have a good grasp of how important Rose and Walkers wingplay was to our creativity.

Fuck off gibbins. Your mantra is that our wings are our weakness. Now you say it's part of our creativity. You're so unbelievably full of shit. Are you so fucking thick that you think people haven't noticed Fuck off and fumble some notes on the latest old plank you've been conned into buying. Dir der dir no, dir der dir no. You keep trying buster - your playing is so funny. Der der der di de de dud er drang. Ever noticed the other frets on a guitar? - and learn some jazz chords you Neanderthal weight lifter.

Art Vandelay Art Vandelay seriously, what's the point of you? You don't put any money towards the club that you slag off, and you don't put any money towards this site that hosts your bizarre opinions. You're a ponce. A typical Aussie loudmouth, pay you next week ponce. And you run away - which isn't an Aussie trait I'll admit. Why are you so keen to misrepresent your countrymen? I thought you blokes were hard.

Isn't sissocko on like 80 k a week, flog him off and offer those wages to one of those 2, if an Woolwich or a liverpool come in and are willing to give said player more than that then fair enough won't have any complaints. Wouldn't want our club to start paying ridiculous wages we can't afford.

Don't tell me we've signed Sissoko's fucking cousin as well...

Fucks sake Levy...........

From COYS, who nicked it from SC:

This is from spurs community. Doesn't sound good.
One of their moderators (Archibald & Crooks) posted:
It wouldn't surprise me if we see the worst meltdown in SC history over the next few days
clear.png

Followed by the website's owner (Rob) posting:
There may be trouble ahead...

Then this:
From SC to COYS:

From a and c the admin from spurs community

Guys, if I could post it, I would but we're still working with the source so it has to wait until we get it into some sort of shape to post.

If me hinting at news to come has upset anyone please accept my most sincere couldn't give a naffagies, it wasn't my intention to ruin your lives.

Last edited:
Blind faith in signings meaning success ....mate bar a few home grown lads our whole squad was purchased at some point

What if just like when we signed wanyama last season even though we already had dier in that role, a Lemar or a Costa come in and we improve and win the league.
All hypothetical, your never going to know if a signing works out or not. Im not and i don't think anybody is saying for us to go out and spend stupid dough , I love the way we have built this squad aswell, but I just dont understand this whole notion of us not being able to improve.
Of course clubs make signings, it's just that no one was screaming about Lemar DURING the season.....it's a nervous tick that has developed in the game, and frankly it's ridiculous.
If I read the news one morning and we've signed someone, great.
If not, I don't care.
Spurs are at a stage where we don't need the hysteria.....we are not the team of 2008.
I find it all a bit pathetic in all honesty when people start talking about letting the club down and standing still.
Keeping Walker will trump any signing.

Last edited:
No. Our squad with no additions becomes stagnant and restless. Every team needs to keep looking to improve or strengthen their hand. To sit back and be happy with what you have is lazy, complacent, and downright fucking scandalous.
We made several additions last year.....what's your take on Janssen and Sissoko again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom