Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, is it just me or do we not move anyone until we've shipped off Sissoko and GKN? No sense in adding anyone that won't always be in the starting XI or on the bench, and I feel like we have too many bodies clogging up spots.
No reason to wait on departures. They can train with the kids just like previous ones have done.

How common are buybacks between 2 premier league clubs? I can't recall one, personally, but I don't have he same depth of knowledge as many on the boards. I could just be overlooking them because they don't involve Spurs.
Not very but all the back room are ex barca where they are very common so not beyond the realms

Think Liverpool had one in the ibe deal

But he looked so happy at Monaco?

DEE8rRLXgAE3FwN.jpg

e0jYHBd9

Not sure what to make about our lack of signings this summer thus far.

Certainly the least active out of last season's top 7 without a doubt, even if Everton's transfer frenzy makes sense.

We really are not so good that anyone should see that as a positive.

This season is massive and it can only be a success if we are successful, which is not as paradoxical as it sounds.

Not too much ask I would say.

Because Chelsea have signed an old goalkeeper on a free?

david_brent_gif.gif

Can anyone provide any evidence that signings = instant success?

City finished 8 points behind us after bringing in Pep Guardiola, Gabriel Jesus, Ilkay Gündoğan, John Stones, Leroy Sane, Nolito, Claudio Bravo for £180m plus.

United finished 6th after bringing in Jose Mourinho, Paul Pogba, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Eric Bailly and Henrikh Mkhitaryan for over £160m.

We improved massively by signing some Kenyan bloke for £12m.

Because Chelsea have signed an old goalkeeper on a free?

david_brent_gif.gif

Can anyone provide any evidence that signings = instant success?

City finished 8 points behind us after bringing in Pep Guardiola, Gabriel Jesus, Ilkay Gündoğan, John Stones, Leroy Sane, Nolito, Claudio Bravo for £180m plus.

United finished 6th after bringing in Jose Mourinho, Paul Pogba, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Eric Bailly and Henrikh Mkhitaryan for over £160m.

We improved massively by signing some Kenyan bloke for £12m.

True to a point but we won what last season?

Finishing 2nd whilst fantastic is still one short of champions. Losing in the semi-final 2 steps short so forgive my concern.

We need 3/4 players of the requisite quality for so many reasons.

Finishing 2nd whilst fantastic is still one short of champions. Losing in the semi-final 2 steps short so forgive my concern.

City didn't win anything either, neither did Liverpool (and they haven't for 5 seasons now).

We won the league cup in 1999 and 2008 - two season when we were otherwise rather shite, with shite managers who couldn't win a league game to save their lives.

The reason why Utd and Arse have won cups, is basically because they had stupidly gifted ties all the way to the final. We've not had such "luck" for quite some time.

At some point it'll happen, but it'll be down to a collective experience (remember, Poch hasn't won anything yet) rather than because we splurged £150m on players.

So how can you not want a repeat that transfer window?

A good transfer window can only be measured on if we improve from the year before, which we did. Making it a successful transfer window. I'd kill for a similar improvement this window on the previous year.
Respectfully disagree. 1 hit out of 4 is not a good window, just stops it being a really shit window.

Not to mention embarrassing ourselves in Europe. In both competitions.

I won't forgive your concern I'm afraid......tired of people saying we wouldn't make top 4 acting like 2nd is not good enough. You can't run before you walk.....we are a work in progress, and our progress is way beyond anyone's wildest thoughts.

This entitlement that we should have just won back to back titles is a fucking embarrassment

Not to mention embarrassing ourselves in Europe. In both competitions.
Yeah how dare we not win the title and CL....did you see CJJs post on what City bought last year? Where did they finish?

Your blind faith in signings meaning success is so flawed that you don't even want to see it.

If we sign Lemar and Costa and they are no better than what we have, then what's next in your theory? Levy out? Poch out? Lemar out? Costa out?
I mean god forbid we give the new players another season? Who gets the chop?

What next? Keep buying?

Nice one

The last thing Tottenham needs to become is a plastic/buyers club that buys its way to success.

What we have going is something magical. We're kicking at the frame work of English top tier football and making room for ourselves whilst doing so mainly with homegrown talent and reasonable transfer prices. Were so many of the other top/old clubs are dragons sitting on their hordes of gold we're the Arhturian knight taking it to them so to speak. And that's fricking grand.

Like Dortmund in Germany and Atletico in Spain it is not about big signings for us. But about the right signings. And they aren't always one and the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom