Sporting CP vs Tottenham Hotspur. UEFA Champions League. Tuesday 13th September 2022 @17:45

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well, looks look at the GENUINE chances in the game. We had the majority of them but simply weren't clinical in front of goal. For some reason Royal seems to be getting in the best goal scoring spaces - why isn't Son / Kane / Rich occupying this space?

24 minutes - If Rich squared it to Son in space he could have got a decent shot off
25 minutes - Rich should have scored the header
28 minutes - excellent cross. 3 Spurs in the box all ball watching.
29 minutes - Royal with ball in 5 yard box. If only that fell to a striker.
41 minutes - Rich goal - offside

45 minutes - sporting should have scored. good save hugo

46 minutes - Royal hits the post with a header.
47 minutes - Royal misses tough bounce from 5 yards out. If only that fell to a striker.
70 minutes - Perisic with perfect cross into box. Kane mistimes it and misses

89 minutes - Sporting shot from outside box. Given too much space. Good save.
90, 91 - goals sporting
I think your summary is biased in favor of spurs chances/half chances.

You missed a sporting chance early on that Hugo made a tip save on.

Rich goal at 41 isn’t even a chance… he was miles offside.

By far, sportings chance at 45 minutes was the best chance of the half.

Royal didn’t hit the post with a header… keeper saves it.

It was a fairly even game up until the goals. We had more chances but sporting had some high quality ones.

Last edited:
My take on it is that we are seeing players who are scared.

They have been told what to do and god help em if they stray off the plan. Especially if doing so results in a turnover etc.

I noticed the same at some points with Jose. Unsurprisingly this limits the flair in the team leading to us being so predictable its unbelievable. Couple to this a system which pretty much builds in the predictability and you get performances like the ones we have been watching.

We all know what we have been watching and it aint pretty. The results have gone with us and we thought, "hmmm well maybe I have it wrong?"

But we didn't have it wrong, what we have been watching is dogshit and we all know it. Our results have flattered us and that team is nowhere good enough to win anything (or finish in the fabled top 4 in my opinion). Lets hope Conte can see it - he seems stubborn as fuck - but come on Antonio we all want the same thing, this aint it. Never will be.

Royal will never be the answer.
Son needs a rest.
A midfield two only works if your WB's are both on fire - ours aren't.
Change can be a good thing.

Even if we could somehow fluke results for the entire season and finish say 3rd - if the football is like this i'm not interested. It's a dead end from which no good will come.

I firmly believe we have the right ingredients to be a very good side indeed. Get cooking Antonio - get cooking!

I think it was the same under Poch. Pass pass pass pass. Whatever you do, don't give it away.

Well, looks look at the GENUINE chances in the game. We had the majority of them but simply weren't clinical in front of goal. For some reason Royal seems to be getting in the best goal scoring spaces - why isn't Son / Kane / Rich occupying this space?

24 minutes - If Rich squared it to Son in space he could have got a decent shot off
25 minutes - Rich should have scored the header
28 minutes - excellent cross. 3 Spurs in the box all ball watching.
29 minutes - Royal with ball in 5 yard box. If only that fell to a striker.
41 minutes - Rich goal - offside

45 minutes - sporting should have scored. good save hugo

46 minutes - Royal hits the post with a header.
47 minutes - Royal misses tough bounce from 5 yards out. If only that fell to a striker.
70 minutes - Perisic with perfect cross into box. Kane mistimes it and misses

89 minutes - Sporting shot from outside box. Given too much space. Good save.
90, 91 - goals sporting

Yeah if we just imagine stuff happened then we created loads.

I think if the Man City game had been played we would have seen a very different starting XI which I think would have seen more energy in the display - To me there wasn’t too much wrong with the display yesterday / apart from Son Kane and even richarlison being well off what’s required - given the effort to qualify for the champ lge and how much it seems to matter to them we didn’t seem that arsed towards the end

Woke up today expecting to feel better about yesterday's performance.
I don't. We were so, so poor yesterday. We've been toying with results like this for a while now and it caught us.
I'm in the camp that I'm ready to shake this off and hope it's a wake up call. However, we need to straighten this out and quickly. Leicester is a great opportunity for that to happen.
Conte is a great manager, but at the end of the day he's kind of Mourinho with a software update. There is just so little interest in possession.

It's not (and won't ever be) about how much money you spend on the squad. It's about commitment and how hungry of training and winning you are.
You can buy players, you can't buy a team.

I must say I’m worried about Bissouma. He’s good enough and should be getting much more game time.

I know the West Ham game wasn’t great, I think he was incredibly focused on being safe
I'm not worried, I trust Conte 100%

I think the reaction after losing our first game of the season is very, very overblown.
Preach, people forget that last season's European Cup winners lost their first group game to the might of FC Sheriff from the unrecognised (by everyone except Putin) breakaway state of Transnistria. A team with a thousandth of Sporting's European pedigree,

I think the reaction after losing our first game of the season is very, very overblown.

Absolutely is!

I think there's good and valid points made about starting Doc or Spence next game, and maybe going with Richarlison, Kane, Kulu up front...but the hysteria from the usual suspects about Conte is beyond insane.

I genuinely think I'd rather read an echo chamber of positivity on this forum, than read some of that shite tbh so the negative nancies are getting wiped from my sight.

Back
Top Bottom